01 2.0 petrol - Brakes spongy. - gordonbennet
Spongy brakes on my mates bora, we will be pressure bleeding the system.

He has spotted a bleed nipple on the end of the master cylinder, are there any other bleed points apart from the calipers?

I assume this has to be bled in sequence with the rest of the car, my question is in what part of the bleeding sequence do we open the master cyl nipple?

Also is anyone aware of any probs in this system that could have caused the sponginess?

Thanks.

Edited by Webmaster on 27/04/2008 at 13:10

01 2.0 petrol - Brakes spongy. - piston power
If the fluid is original it will contain moisture so fresh fluid and bleed properley all should be ok.

01 2.0 petrol - Brakes spongy. - maltrap
According to Haynes ther are 2 types of system either a mk 20 ie or a mk60 which is yours? It is only necessary to bleed the master cylinder if the system has been run dry.
Many thanks for the replies, don't know which system is on the car, and i won't see it for another week.

01 2.0 petrol - Brakes spongy. - topbloke
has any work been done on the brakes to cause the spongy pedal !, it has been know for the rear flexi's to ballon, but this is caused mainly by clamping the rear flexi's causeing internall damage when changing rear brake pads etc
To my knowledge the only thing my mate has done recently is to put some grooved discs and 'green stuff' pads on.
I know i wouldn't have gone down that road meself, but he's young and impetuous.

I suppose its possible he's confusing the all or nothing braking effort of these pads with sponginess.
I have'nt driven the car meself so can't comment.

TBH i'm as much concerned that he's caused imbalance front/rear by only upgrading (if thats the correct term) the fronts.

I seem to remember changing the front pads on a newish mk 2 golf many moons ago, and put ferodo pads on. These were lovely pads, nice light progressive response, trouble was the front brakes would lock up too easily afterwards so i had to put the ferodo shoes on as well, that cured it and made for lovely braking. (if i remember right the original pads were ridiculously hard, and would not wear out, unfortunately the discs would wear out instead)

01 2.0 petrol - Brakes spongy. - Number_Cruncher
>>trouble was the front brakes would lock up too easily

Much, much safer than having the rears lock!

Agreed NC, but as i recall the braking performance changed drastically until i changed the rear shoes to compliment the fronts, then all was better than new.

In fact it made the car a much more pleasant drive, and you would have liked it, a good old fashioned 1.6 NA diesel. B reg 84.