Used car suggestions 5-6k - Whisky
Hi all,

My 2002 406 hdi 90 is getting a bit too long in the tooth, looking to swap it over summer before it quite frankly goes for not much above scrap values ( I don't have much confidence in the engine at the minute, nor the time or energy to source the problem(s))

Would ideally like minimum 2004 and with under 60/70k on the clock. Whilst I dont do many miles (around 200 a week) I would like something comfortable that will handle the motorway well for the regular long distance trips to see relatives. Running costs come into the equation as well.

Kind of split between two very different choices at the minute, a 1.8 petrol Vectra and a Celica (obviously not a 2004 for 6k) might be my last chance of something quick(ish) before SWMBO starts on about kids.

Trying to stay away from common rail diesels, just seem too unreliable (and expensive), the current pug has apperently been very good for a common rail, Eek!.

Anybody know of any other cars that might be worth consideration? Engine more important then brand/model.
Used car suggestions 5-6k - MikeTorque
Depends a bit of how much space out reckon you need inside your car. Have you considered cars like the Ford Focus ? You'd get a low mileage one for 5-6k. The LX chassis is slightly more comfortable than the Zetec and it's superb for the motorway and more economical than either the Vectra and Celica. If kids are a possibility then certainly discuss options with SWMBO.
Used car suggestions 5-6k - Optimist
Nissan Primera any good? The engines are said to be practically bullet-proof.
Used car suggestions 5-6k - DP
There's a very nice black 2004 Volvo S60 2.0T on Autotrader at the moment with 75k on the clock for £5800.

I've got one, so I'm biased, but in terms of build quality, refinement and comfort, these cars are impossible to fault at this money. >30 mpg on the motorway is easily possible (I can get 34 if I'm careful), tuneful, gutsy 5 cylinder engine, loads of kit and superb on the motorway.

It's too soft and vague to be much fun on B-roads, but as a reliable, well built and just thoroughly likeable mile muncher, I would recommend it to anyone. Other gripes are naff rear leg room and an appalling turning circle.

Worth a drive of one anyway. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I was.

Cheers
DP
Used car suggestions 5-6k - wee scotty dog
Buy a focus or a mondeo in the auction. 2 and a half years old with some manufacturer's warranty left on it. You'll get a really nice one for your money. I just paid 6K for a 55 plate zafira 30 months old with 17K on the clock. So a Vectra or Mondeo should be cheaper
Used car suggestions 5-6k - Whisky
Not a bad idea that scotty, gives a chance to get any faults fixed while still in warrenty.

I like the look of the Volvo but fear running costs may be a little bit higher then I want. I think I'll go have a drive in a focus or a newer astra or similar, always prefered the medium saloons for comfort but I'm guessing the smaller family cars are probably a lot better then my last one 1995 Astra. Motorway crusing in that thing was not fun.

Might have a look at a primera, although I'm not too keen on the style, although you can't see the outside when your driving it :)

Thanks for the ideas.
Used car suggestions 5-6k - Kurt Steiner
I've got to echo DP's comments. I've got the S60 2.0T, seriously, running costs aren't that bad if you use a Volvo independent for servicing. Reliability and build quality should save you hundreds and you've got a premium car.

I considered a Vectra before the Volvo and never regretted going for the S60.
Used car suggestions 5-6k - tintin01
I have a 2002 1.8 Primera, 45k miles. Lots of room, big boot, nice to drive. We have only had it 6 months so no reliability problems so far. Bad things? I find the radio and heater controls annoying, and always feel like I should be moving up a gear when it's already in fifth on the motorway. Mpg is around 35, although I do mainly short journeys. It feels sturdy and well built but it is quite dull. If you can get a Volvo S60 at a good price I would say that is a much nicer car.