1999 1.8 wheel speed noise - dewson
Hi

I wounder if anyone can help, I have a 1999 registered Primera P11 -144, the 1.8 version.

The car has developed a noise which comes form (or sounds like it does) the front of the car. This noise increases in frequency with wheel speed and is best described as a metallic grating noise (ch ch ch). It appears when acceleration is applied AND when the accelerator is released (ie on acceleration and deceleration) but not when the vehicle is travelling at a constant speed. Also it seems to increase on left hand bends, but not on right hand ones. There is also sometimes a slight vibration felt through the vehicles floor, but not through the steering wheel.

Just to add to the mystery, the car was only MOT'd last week so I do not think that it is a wheel bearing, and certainly I cannot detect any movement in the front wheels when the car is jacked up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
1999 1.8 wheel speed noise - Dynamic Dave
CV Joint by the sounds of it.
1999 1.8 wheel speed noise - craneboy
Had exactly the the symptoms you describe on my 306 a couple of months back, only from the rear. Turned out to be a collapsed wheel bearing.
Thanks Guys

Is there any way of testing for a duff CV joint without removing it from the vehicle.

Cheers
1999 1.8 wheel speed noise - scotmech
A CV Joint will normally only make a clicking noise when on lock and not when driving straight ahead unless really bad ... but you will get ample warning of the clicking on lock long before ...
Sounds like a hub bearing and sometimes when the vehicle is jacked up and the weight is off it can be quiet when spinning it during the mot ...
Open the nearside windows when driving and see if you can hear the noise from front or rear ... then try with only the o/s windows open ...
many thanks

sounds like I will try the wheel bearing route first