00 2.0 Dti - ran out fuel - how do I prime it ? - drew1103
If my diesel car ran out of fuel, how do I prime the pump to get the new diesel through? Also, cleaning it today, I have seen a couple of plugs (green and yellow) under the front seats. What are these and are they used for anything?

Edited by Pugugly on 21/04/2008 at 22:08

Top Reply

00 2.0 Dti - ran out fuel - how do I prime it ? - cossiejay

the hand primer should be fitted to the fuel return not the feed pipe so you draw fuel through the pump

All Replies

00 2.0 Dti - ran out fuel - how do I prime it ? - topbloke
you are supposed to pull the fuel through to the pump via the filter with an eletrical pump as cranking the engine with little or no fuel in the pump can damage them, however most people fill the filter up with fuel and crank for ten seconds leave for ten(repeat as ness till it starts) the connetors under the seat are for seat heating and airbags if fitted to that model,and the pretensioner for the seatbelt

Edited by topbloke on 22/04/2008 at 00:10

Cheers TOPBLOKE, I was just curious about the connectors. I make sure I always have diesel in the tank, but again I was curious to know just incase I (or the wife, who doesn't seem to know where the fuel filler is!!) did run out.
00 2.0 Dti - ran out fuel - how do I prime it ? - drivewell
Not quite so simple on your vehicle as on many others, due to the absence of a lift pump or priming hand pump. A hand pump is available for your engine ---

To quote from a Sealey information leaflet:

1.1. INTRODUCTION
The VP44 diesel injection pump, as used on certain Vauxhall engines, does not have a lift pump and, therefore,
bleeding/priming the fuel system requires an external device - VS055.
Whenever the fuel system is disturbed, the fuel tank drained, or the fuel filter drained or replaced, the system
must be primed using VS055 to allow the engine to restart.
1.2. APPLICATIONS
Vauxhall 2.0Di/2.2Di engines (X20DTL/X20DTH/X22DTH).

The VS055 can be purchased on eBay, or a variety of suppliers found by a web search.
Doh! Is anything simple?
00 2.0 Dti - ran out fuel - how do I prime it ? - PeterRed
I used the method mentioned by 'topbloke' above after changing the fuel filter but it took an awfully long time to start. I primed the filter container using a 5ml syringe (!) which took a while....... I had to recharge the battery overnight before it was finally successful.
00 2.0 Dti - ran out fuel - how do I prime it ? - brian_soton
Hi, my wife ran our 2005 2.0 diesel Zafira out of fuel today. She had let it get low and parked with 2 wheels on pavement and left it running. Surprise surprise it ran out and cut out. I got 7 Litres in a can and tried to start it with no luck. My dad then suggested I remove the tank filler cap to ensure there was no vaccum in tank. After a good 40 seconds or so (accelerator pedal flat on floor) it fired up and after keeping revs high for a minute or so as it died if you tried to idle it, the engine ran perfectly. Maybe a fluke but worked for me!!!!

Edited by brian_soton on 18/08/2013 at 21:43

00 2.0 Dti - ran out fuel - how do I prime it ? - Peter.N.

I wouldn't think that fitting an aftermarket priming bulb in the incoming fuel line would be to difficult.

00 2.0 Dti - ran out fuel - how do I prime it ? - cossiejay

the hand primer should be fitted to the fuel return not the feed pipe so you draw fuel through the pump