2000 1.8 TDDI Fuel Pump Problem - ianb1965
My Focus was smoking and rattling real bad so I took it to a local garage.

Diagnosis was big ends or main bearings (can't remember which) anyway I agreed price to have bearings replaced and crankshaft reground.

As I have only had the car for 3 months and am still paying for it to keep costs down I told them to work on it when they had no other work on.

Now 6 weeks later the engine has been rebuilt but I am now being told the engine will not start and the mechanic thinks it is because the battery has been off for so long the ecu has lost its settings. He towed it to the local ford dealer who put it on the computer but they have diagnosed internal fuel pump error.

I fail to see why the fuel pump will now be faulty since the rebuild as it had nothing to do with the rebuild and the car ran ok apart from the crankshaft fault.

Any ideas please ? I can't afford to pay any more than the agreed rebulid price and will be forced to scrap a car that I still owe £2000 on if it is not an easy fix.

THANKS

Edited by Pugugly on 18/04/2008 at 23:20

2000 1.8 TDDI Fuel Pump Problem - Screwloose
ian

Bought trade or private?

Bearing faults can't cause smoking. ECUs don't lose settings. Are you getting the idea that I think your garage is a bunch of incompetent shysters?

What codes are the dealers finding? This could well have been the pump all along.
The car was bought from a garage with 1 month warranty :(

I dont no the fault codes all I was told was the ford dealer diagnosed an internal fuel pump error.
2000 1.8 TDDI Fuel Pump Problem - Screwloose
ian

Have a read of this:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43

As you'll see; the responsibility for paying for this repair lies with the seller, as the law now presumes that faults which appear within six months of sale were there at the time of sale - unless the seller can prove otherwise.

Seek advice from sources like the CAB.

Edited by Screwloose on 19/04/2008 at 00:55

Thanks I will look into it.