Auction Car Quality - ian
I'm looking to buy a 5 series BMW (who isn't according to HJ!), I consider Trade Sales to offer the lowest priced retail cars I can find and will shortly take at look to see their quality. I've also thought about buying at auction using a buyer to try to beat even the likes of GTC's buyers, my question is really do decent specced reasonably well kept cars end up at auction or does the trade "snaffle" them up before they get there? I'm looking for a 528 with leather. Is it unrealistic to expect an auction buyer to come up with a decent car? I went to Interleasing's direct to public outlet in Brum over the weekend and the prices and quality of the stock is ok but not outstanding (12k for a R reg 76,000 528i se auto with leather), £9500 at auction? They say only their rubbish goes to auction but they would wouldn't they?

Ian
Auction Car Quality - Carl2
Traders all seem to loose interest at the same price . This is the point when I will start bidding. I don,t bid any earlier in case there are a group of friends bidding up the price. I notice that the auctioneers will often bounce large bids(£75-£100) off the public but £25 bids amongst their friends . The place is full of predators. If like me you do get carried away just put the car back in the following week. I am not connected to the motor trade but I don,t think I would consider buying a car anywhere else.
I was strolling through the auction hall one day when a renault safrane was about to be sold for about £4000 below book price. The car looked immaculate so I bought it there and then. I had only popped in to buy a replacement for the wifes Micra . Luckily the mental break down only lasted for a few seconds so after paying for the car I filled in the forms to put it straight back in the auction the following week. When I came to the warrented mileage the girl in the office said I could not warrent the mileage because of the cars age and number of owners. I then pointed out that I had just been sold the car with warrented mileage minutes earlier. This made me wonder how someone else was able to warrent the mileage.
Also the practice of a provisional bid being accepted for submission in the hall then someone else submiting a bid slightly higher via one of the office girls is something I have also heard of.
Auction Car Quality - Steve G
Interesting thread.....
I've spent several years buying cars from auctions and most of the above is true.
I prefer the smaller auction houses that have fleet sales because in my experience are more 'honest'.
The well known auction houses which the public goto normally have the worst selection of cars (condition wise). In my view its because the public will buy anything at auction because they believe its cheap.
As for GTC buyers , I missed a car recently because a GTC buyer paid near retail for it. Buying power..

Auction Car Quality - hatman

I'm amazed there aren't more messages on here about auctions. It certainly isn't an easy way of buying a car as you can have a lot of wasted trips. I can't imagine GTC (or any other dealership) paying retail money for their cars though.

I don't think that dealers pay too much for cars to keep private buyers out - if they do they aren't going to be in business long!

The best way to buy a bargain is to have a very open mind to your choice of car - if you want a 2007 525D in Mystic Blue with Sand Leather and Sat Nav you are bound to pay over the odds. If you'll go for any diesel 5 series there's a chance one will go a bit less than you expect.

The only thing I've noticed a fair bit recently is that several cars are sold and the hammer comes down yet they are back again in the same line next week. It's almost as though the auctioneer declares the car 'on sale' to encorage bidding even though he knows the reserve isn't met.

Go to any auction though and then look at the motoring section of your local paper a week later and you'll see nearly every dealer gets their cars from auction. So it makes sense to go yourself - the biggest snags however are very high private buyer's fees (£400 ish on a £10k car) and the fact it the gearbox blows up in the car park that's just tough luck!

I always wonder what the odds are that any diesel at auction has at some point been misfueled.

Auction Car Quality - Ben 10

My last three diesels bought from BCA have never given me any trouble. And I've kept them for two years each.