04 1.9 Changing dip beam to drive in Europe - buscy
I'm going to France in a couple of weeks and want to know if I can easily adjust the headlights on my 2004 (old model) Passat TDi Sport Estate to dip correctly when I get there, or do I have to fit horrible sticky things to my headlights?
04 1.9 Changing dip beam to drive in Europe - 659FBE
My '05 Skoda Superb has tourist levers to change the dipping pattern for driving on the right. It's the same chassis as your car and has projector syle lamps.

The dealer wanted GBP200 to remove the lamps to reset them and subsequently restore the settings for UK use. No thanks.

If you remove the bulb access hatch for MAIN beam, you can just see the levers around the dipped unit - they move in opposite directions due to vehicle symmetry and the fact that the two lamps obviously have to move together.

On my PD, unclip the PAS reservoir cover to gain access on the LHS and unscrew the air inlet trunk on the RHS (3 screws) to gain access - then use a bent screwdriver to flip over the levers. They move easily and click into their new positions. If you shine your lights onto a wall whilst you do it, the movement required is obvious.

I did the job in the ferry queue - don't you just love VAG dealers.

04 1.9 Changing dip beam to drive in Europe - Alby Back
I drive through Europe several times a year and often overnight. I have been doing this for the thick end of 30 years. To pay to have the beams adjusted every time or stick/unstick sticky things on the lights would be a pain. Now I know this is not the correct or legal solution to the problem but all I do is use the levelling switch on the dash to point the light in a more downwards direction. Never, ever been flashed by another driver or stopped by police or otherwise questioned about this. Not legal perhaps, but it works and it is of course up to you to decide if you wish to do it.........
04 1.9 Changing dip beam to drive in Europe - jc2
I've tried this but,after a few miles of country lanes,had to stop,reset them to the right height and put on tape just to able to drive safely.
04 1.9 Changing dip beam to drive in Europe - 659FBE
The Hella lights fitted by VAG have the facility to change the dipping - it's a pity that the useless owner's manual does not describe the conversion process and that the more than useless dealers just use it as a money making ploy.

I paid for this and it works well - night driving on the right is no problem if you convert the lamps as designed.

Edited by 659FBE on 16/04/2008 at 14:12

04 1.9 Changing dip beam to drive in Europe - Big John
Cheers for the info for converting Superb headlights! Won't bother with sticky tape in May when I drive through France.
04 1.9 Changing dip beam to drive in Europe - oilrag
I have used black Gaffer tape for decades. But I`m convinced that there is a growing trend to do nothing.
About 20 years ago, I remember Police checking cars lights (for tape) right off the Hovercraft in Calais.
04 1.9 Changing dip beam to drive in Europe - buscy
Thanks for your detailed reply. I had a V6 diesel Superb just before the VW - a lot of car for the money!!