Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - JamesH
I have heard that you can dispute speed camera photo evidence by taking pictures of your car to show it is different due to stickers ec, which could help if your car has been cloned.

However, this one tried to avoid a genuine speeding ticket and ended up with something much more serious:
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/7340281...m

I can see how he was caught though. If you are going to add a GB sticker to the back of your car, you should at least clean the bootlid before sticking it on.
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - boxsterboy
It's right that he should be punished for attempting to pervert the course of justice, of course, although I think jail is excessive. But I wonder what made the Police think that he was worth further quite detailed investigation? As always with these stories, there is probably more to it than has been reported.
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - Mapmaker
Firstly I think he deserved to go to gaol.

Secondly I guess that the police had been trying to get him for something, and managed to make that one stick.

Law-abiding subjects are not in the habit of going to quite such lengths to avoid a fine.
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - Dyane 6 Mehari
of course although I think jail is excessive.

Remember he's been jailed for perverting the course of justice, not speeding. PCoJ will amost always result in imprisonment if the perpetrator is found guilty.

I think if you say "it's not my car" the police will always investigate more closely as it means there's a potential clone that's untaxed, uninsured etc.. that needs to be found.

If the offence took place in the local area of the owner and ANPR has not shown a duplicate plated car appearing somewhere else in the country, suspicions will be raised.
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - Snakey
, the man did 37 in a 30 and then tried a daft stunt to cover it up.

And this is what you get jail for these days?

No wonder this country is going off the rails.

So he's an idiot for speeding and trying to cover it up - no arguments there but as its a motoring 'offence' the wheels of british 'justice' are already turning against him. Jail is a ridiculous outcome for such a petty thing, do the judges not have any sense of reality?

What a shame our plod don't exert the same effort policing the streets.

Edited by Webmaster on 11/04/2008 at 11:46

SNIPQUOTE!

In reply to Snakey

Perverting the course of justice is not a motoring offence. Any attempt to mess with the process or outcomes of the judicial system (PCoJ, bribery, corruption) is likely to result in imprisonment and that's always been the case.

Why do you put justice and offence in quotes? Speeding is an offence, one that puts the lives of others in danger. British justice is recognised as something of a role model in the world.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/04/2008 at 13:37

In this country parking is classed as an offence, so the word has lost its meaning somewhat.

Basically the man got a jail sentence for a stupid act. I'm not condoning 37 in a 30 at all but if plod can get away with 'testing' their cars on the highway at 149mph then it seems like a massive overeaction to the actual 'offence'
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - FotheringtonThomas
Basically the man got a jail sentence for a stupid act.

Perverting the course of justice is not a "stupid act", it's a criminal one (along with similar perjury), and one that gnaws at the foundations of society. The speeding is insignificant in comparison.
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - Group B
Basically the man got a jail sentence for a stupid act. I'm not condoning 37 in a 30 at all..

Snakey, he did not get jail time for speeding, he got it for lying to the authorities.

Like the bloke a few months ago who got 12 month prison sentence, not for speeding, but for faking his own death to try to avoid the fines!..:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=59...2
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - tintin01
It does seem strange that he gets jail when there have been some serious offences which did not result in prison - or ridiculously short sentences. I think the thing is that if you did not give a jail sentence for perverting the course of justice then every scumbag in the country would be doing it all the time.
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - XantKing
Given the number of people who maim or kill through idiotic driving and escape with a fine and a ban, this is harsh. Taking a life, however unintended, is surely miles more serious than avoiding a speeding ticket? He may well have been perverting the course of justice, but it's not as if he was trying to escape punishment for a serious offence.

Still doesn't mean he's a bit of a silly sausage of course!

course of justice but it's not as if he was trying to escape punishment for
a serious offence.

The scale of the offence that he was trying to escape punishment for is irrelevant. Attempting to pervert the course of justice is a serious offence in its own right.
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - Falkirk Bairn
Ask Jonathan Aitken or other people in the public eye about perjury - it's a serious matter.

John Brown, ex BP supremo stepped down as from Britain's largest company as he had not told the truth to a Judge sitting in Chambers.

3 pts and £60 fine will seem really cheap let off as the speeding driver woke up early in his cell this morning
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - Mapmaker
I am a libertarian. I abhor the powers the police and other authorities have to stop and fine me.

But whilst I may campaign against them, I will defend to the end of the earth their right to enforce the law.

That's why the man deserves jail.
I still find it laughable, he tried a pointless trick to avoid a ticket and this is classed as perjury.

He gets jail for it.

People never lie in court do they?

So if I am pulled by plod and he claims I was doing 40 in a 30, and I disagree and take it to the court - is that now counted as perjury?

The law is so weighted against the motorist, thats what bothers me.
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - midlifecrisis
What bothers me more is the fact I regularly see particularly nasty individuals walk free from court with their community service orders (which they never do), or after being given yet another 'last chance'. These are people who are prolific/violent burglars, dealers etc etc.

This bloke was an idiot, but make him pick up the used nappies down the canal bank.
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - Benjurs73
Snakey

You're getting the wrong end of the stick here....

Forget the speeding...it isn't about that....

It's about actively trying to mislead the court about the offence.

Replace speeding with say breaking a window, you get caught, you then lie about where you were at the time and try to prove it by fabricating evidence, the old bill find out different....the same result may occur.

As for lying in court, it's called Perjury or to a lesser degree contempt of court......basically you don't want to pee off the chap in the wig.....

He'll get out in a few weeks and it's a lesson to anyone else that if you're going to do this it better be worth more that £60 and 3 points.....

that or don't go shopping in your local area for signs and/or wash your car before adding sticker.....

It's jail for Darwinism....

Cheers

Benjurs
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - FotheringtonThomas
I still find it laughable he tried a pointless trick to avoid a ticket and
this is classed as perjury.

It's perverting the course of justice, not "a pointless trick".

He gets jail for it.

Good.

People never lie in court do they?

If they do, they may be jailed for it - good!

So if I am pulled by plod and he claims I was doing 40 in
a 30 and I disagree and take it to the court - is that now
counted as perjury?

Of course it isn't, don't be silly. Should you claim someone else was driving, it wasn't your car, or whatever, though - you could be in trouble - as was this chappie!

The law is so weighted against the motorist thats what bothers me.

It's weighted against law breakers - that's what its' whole modus operandi! If this chappie had a legitimate defence, or had accepted the small penalty, that would have been the end of the matter - but he didn't, and attempted quite serious wrongdoing, was found out, and locked up. Good!
The law is so weighted against the motorist thats what bothers me.

>>
I don't think this is true. It's weighted against people who break the law. That's kind of the point of it.

I don't feel when driving that the law is weighed against me. I also don't feel part of some mythical repressed collective called "motorists". I'm a citizen, operating a motor vehicle in a public place.

Operating such a machine carries risk - to me, my passengers and the people around me. It's incumbent on me to therefore operate that machine in a way that minimises that risk, and following the laws that are set down is kind of a key part of that.

Put another way, I have no given right to drive a car. Society allows me to drive one as long as I comply with some conditions. The way we formalise those conditions is through the law. If you don't like a law you can campaign to have it changed but it's disingenuous to criticise those charged with upholding it.

Edited by Webmaster on 11/04/2008 at 19:26

Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - nortones2
Some persons, in a higher state of arousal to injustice, alert to the oppression of the motorist, are able to detect the sinister machinations of the police state. These intuitions do not occur to persons of lower sensitivity. Your problem Dyane 6M, is that you lack the hysterical gene:)
Nobody is above the law.

MoD today had a legal judgement against them - they have to take reasonable care of their soldiers even when at war.

I think it not unreasonable whether you are driving your car or looking after your troops that you take care.

Unfortunately the MoD looks like they will appeal (with our money) against something they don't like.
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - reevsie
I just think Police time could be better served than poncing about the local shops establishing where he bought the stickers from. So he told a porky, I agree with midlifecrisis, make him clean the streets.......
Couple in Sth of England heavily fined and given suspended jail sentence for claiming the driver of their speeding Prius was somone resident in Australia. They loaned their Prius to their Son-in-law who was picuted doing 45 in a 30 limit.

Prius is the Latin for "ahead of time"

I think the 70+ year old couple needed to think with their head rather than concoct "a fairy tale for the police"
Its inspiring to see so many people have blind, unquestioning faith in the justice system!
Jailed for altering car appearance to avoid ticket - XantKing
The nearest row of shops to me is blighted by anti-social behaviour and underage drinking. It's a West of Scotland scourge, frankly. The police and our local councillors acknowledge this, they mention it every election time and it's reported in our local rag. Yet still it goes on, despite being a relatively small area. I'm willing to bet it's the same couple of dozen names responsible too. Yet I never read of them getting anything much more than a fine for multiple breaches of the peace.

Meanwhile, because someone has cheated the treasury of a 60 quid fine, huge resources have been put into investigating and imprisoning the culprit.

That, to me, is the real injustice here - something that affects the lives of many seems relatively low on the priority list compared to someone attempting to swindle 60 quid from the powers that be.