Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - Falkirk Bairn
Road safety officials have criticised a man who faked his own death to avoid paying £180 speeding fines. Shafkat Munir pretended he was dead after being caught speeding on three occasions between January and February last year.

Munir, 26, of Mulberry Walk, Blackburn, Lancashire, posed as a man named Rashid Hussain and claimed that Shafkat Munir had died in Pakistan in 2002, but police enquiries revealed that Shafkat Munir - who since has been sentenced to 12 months imprisonment after admitting three charges of perverting the course of justice - was alive and well.

3 Tickets for speeding is a lot but 12 months inside is in a different league

Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - Round The Bend
He got what he deserved.
Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - jmaccyd
Perverting the course of justice is the important thing here. I feel sad for the guy, he made a very stupid and ill advised decision in attempting to lie his way out of these tickets. I would support a prison sentance for what he has done, but tweleve months does seem very harsh
Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - smokescreen
Setting an example, prehaps?
Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - FotheringtonThomas
I am particularly interested in that there are people who think that this sort of thing can be done, and also that they think it's worth doing it to avoid a £180 fine.
Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - Big Bad Dave
Apparently he was only caught because he posed as a relative to say "stop hassling my cousin, he's dead" but he used his own mobile phone. When they called him back and asked who was speaking he said "Shafkat Munir".

1 month for the crime, 11 months for stupidity, sounds about right to me.
Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - nortones2
I've often wondered how taxi drivers and bikes are somehow not bovvered by speed cameras. Probably registered under a deceased persons name anyway. Apparently 40% of motorcycles in the UK are untaxed: their number plates are not captured on camera for some reason. news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7200066.stm
Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - Lud
Silly fellow. But I agree 12 months is harsh, unless he is steeped in other crimes. I wonder if anyone he knew advised against trying it on? If you're a bit dumb it's a mistake to ignore the advice of wiser souls, and it's never a good idea to come on sprauncy in court.
Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - Altea Ego
He deserves 12 months and much more for not being in charge of a brain. The police caught him by the simple step of phoning him on his mobile twice - once asking for the "man who's car the dead man had borrowed" and then phoning again to speak to the "dead man" He answered to both names.

In fact he should be deported, clearly a gene pool like this is dangerous for the nations well being.

Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - Lud
a gene pool like this is dangerous for
the nations well being.

In principle perhaps AE, but I can't help feeling that this geezer is a tiny drop in a mighty ocean ...
Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - Nsar
Deported? How do you know his nationality?
Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - Altea Ego
it really doesent matter, even if his name was joe bloggs from surbiton. We should have an Island for thickos like that.
Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - moonshine {P}

later on in the article:

""There is reason to believe the methods employed may grossly over-estimate both the size of evading motorcycle stock and the consequent revenue loss it represents."

I often wonder how many of those bikes are sorned? many people only use their bikes in the summer, I would expect a large percentage of them to be untaxed while off road.
Faked own death to avoid fine of £180 - got 12 mth - oldnotbold
"We should have an Island for thickos like that. "

We did, but they got rather too good at cricket, so we stopped sending people there.