2002 1.2L 8V Airbag light on - percy
This is my daughters car and I haven't had a chance to see the car yet.
The airbag light is lit continuously when the ignition is on (which I understand is not an MOT fail point).
Previously this car had a problem with connector behind the instrument module (when all warning lights were flashing) and Fiat fixed it (2 years ago). Since then the airbag light has flashed occasionally but is now permanently lit.
I don't think the wires (if any) under the front seats have been disturbed.
Any thoughts please?

Top Reply

2002 1.2L 8V Airbag light on - fiatsco
Screwloose, please whereabouts on the L/H doorpost is the earthing for the airbag - how do i get to it? thanks

All Replies

2002 1.2L 8V Airbag light on - Rich320d
According to Car Mechanics magazine, the airbag ECU is earthed to the inlet manifold on 1.2 Puntos. If this wire is broken or brittle or the end connections rusty, you may get the light coming on, have a look.
2002 1.2L 8V Airbag light on - Screwloose

Don't believe anything you read in Car Mechanics.

The airbag ECU is earthed on the L/H doorpost.

Only engine management ECUs are earthed back to the engine.
2002 1.2L 8V Airbag light on - bathtub tom
>>Don't believe anything you read in Car Mechanics.

What about the date at the top? ;>)
2002 1.2L 8V Airbag light on - Screwloose
What about the date at the top? ;>)

Well.... Maybe..? [But I'd check it first - can't be too careful....]

Edited by Screwloose on 10/04/2008 at 17:53

2002 1.2L 8V Airbag light on - fiatsco
Screwloose, please whereabouts on the L/H doorpost is the earthing for the airbag - how do i get to it? thanks
2002 1.2L 8V Airbag light on - drivewell
Two other possibilities on a MK2 Punto.

Most likely - airbag connector for passenger airbag is right above glovebox. Momentary break in the circuit will put light on. This momentary break will often arise by trying to close the glovebox with too much in it. Puts pressure on the connector, 'et voila', light is on. (Ask your daughter, in a hopefully non-accusatory manner, if she could have been trying to get too much in the glovebox)

Less likely - problem with the airbag de-activation switch (at left end of dashboard - open passenger door to see it). Also known to put the warning light on.