Used 320i SE 55 Reg - willhollin
I am considering buying a 320i SE Saloon from my local BMW dealer. Its a 55 plate registered in November 2005 and has done only 7500 miles. Should I be concerned that it has only done a few thousand miles in over two years? Price is currently @ just under 16k....is this a good deal or would I be better off with a higher mileage diesel?

Many Thanks

Edited by Pugugly on 05/04/2008 at 01:54

Used 320i SE 55 Reg - nick1975
As far as the low mileage goes, I don?t think you would have too much to worry about. Presumably it has been serviced and is part of BMW approved stock. If that?s the case you will be fine.

In the E90, the 320 has the 4-pot engine now, which is pretty well thought of from all accounts so it should be ok.

As far as price goes - how does it compare to what other BMW dealers have, for same spec and colour? And BMW dealers sticker prices are known to be expensive, so almost certainly room to negotiate. Mention the credit crunch and see what happens.....

Actually I think you need to think carefully at this stage before parting with £16k. Sounds like you are not sure if you want petrol or a diesel.

I'm sure you are aware of the different considerations that need to be weighed up in this debate, e.g. better economy in the D, but at higher purchase cost, servicing etc. set against different driving characteristic - (typically summed up as, smooth petrol, torquey diesel).

Essentially the choice comes down to how you will use the vehicle. To be honest either version, in my eyes, is basically a middle management rep box designed to cover 25,000 motorway miles a year (ideally paid for by the company), albeit with more panache that most. And I speak as big BMW fan (indeed I had the equivalent model in the E46 range for a few years).

Personally if I was looking for a car to cover high motorway miles, I would go as mainstream as possible ? Mondeo/Vectra and spend a third of the money you are considering.

If you are looking for something ?fun? to drive, with a bit of practicality, then a bigger engined 3 series would be a good bet.

Used 320i SE 55 Reg - Pugugly
BMW second hand warranties are amongst the best in the industry so that should stand you in good stead. The petrol is well sorted engine, as Nick says the diesel is a superbly torquey engine and by now probably one of the best diesels four pots you can get. 16k sounds like a bargain really get a Warranty Direct policy on it in twelve months time and enjoy it.
Used 320i SE 55 Reg - Mad Maxy
There are at leasta a couple of E90/1/2 owner reports on here (including mine - 320d). I can't comment on the price, but if the 320i is what you fancy, I would have no qualms about buying one like you describe.

I like the things that make BMWs a bit 'special' and am willing to pay the premium. But there are of course cars of similar capability that do the basic job for less dosh.
Thanks for both of your replies.

After a year of driving a Seat Leon 2.0 TDi Stylance my wife has decided that it is too uncomfortable in the back for any long period of time over rougher road conditions. We have a 11 month old so she sits in the back to keep her amused.

I love the Leon's engine, the sound of it doesn't bother me and the drive is good but I understand the ride in the back is not ideal! The wife also is not keen on what you would describe as the torquey acceleration so perhaps the move to a petrol would mean a smoother drive?

The Leon has covered only 7k miles in a year so the only benefit I see from the Diesel would be the peformance. The wife has also spotted at the dealer a 116i ES 57 plate at just under 15k with 7.5k on the clock. Whilst it was a very smooth drive it lacked a bit of power.

I prefer the 3 series for the extra space and comfort, I think there could be soom room for improvement on the price so will speak with the garage today.
Buy it you'll love it.
Used 320i SE 55 Reg - Avant
Don't buy a 1-series if your wife is to sit in the back and you want to stay married.

Check what sort of wheels the 320i is on: the standard ones are fine, but if the first owner was a poseur and put bigger wheels on it, the ride will be harder than your wife may like.
Used 320i SE 55 Reg - DP
I would personally buy a 320d if I were after an E90. Gutsy, refined and 50+ mpg. I really can't imagine what the 2.0 petrol offers over it apart from a couple of thousand more revs to play with and a smoother tickover.

A friend has just got a 320d coupe and I couldn't believe how quick and responsive it was, if a tad disappointing in terms of vibes at idle. It's one of these diesel engines that just slams into the governor like it would happily go to 7k+ if it were possible, and takes off like a scalded cat as soon as you squeeze the pedal. Lovely!

The car itself is beautifully finished, and the interior feels far more special than it looks in the photos. I would love one!

Cheers
DP
Used 320i SE 55 Reg - Alby Back
Are there still issues with the pre-2004 2.0 diesel turbos? Or is that now resolved? Its just that a nice 51 plate 320d touring has come up locally at what seems to be a good price. Not that I will be buying it but you know how it is !

Edited by shoespy on 06/04/2008 at 16:38

The issue was an iffy turbo after a certain mileage and a butterfly valce in the manifold. Both fixed I think. Far better engine than VAG or Ford can make.
Used 320i SE 55 Reg - Alby Back
51 plate 320d SE touring 80k mls £8k FSR T&T Trade sale. Sound reasonable ?
The deal was done, no reduction in price could bemilked out of the dealer but they threw in the BMW seal and protect treatment FOC.

Whilst I loved the diesel in the leon this 320i is much smoother and should be just the ticket to keep the wife happy in the back. Its still on 16" wheels and was a nice ride on the test drive which I specifically took up the B roads.

We only did 7k in the Leon as I said so with the price of fuel at the moment I don't think we will lose out that way. They had a 320d at the same price with 60k on the clock on an 05 plate so went with the 320i.

Will report back when we get it next Friday....

Thanks again for your comments.
Enjoy it - especially the rear wheel drive bits !
... a 320d... Gutsy refined and 50+ mpg.

Er, I don't think so. Don't believe the 'official' figures.
Used 320i SE 55 Reg - DP
He's getting 52 mpg in daily driving, calculated brim to brim. Autocar recently tested the car and got similar figures with the performance testing excluded.

Cheers
DP
I take it back. And I'm impressed. Must be one of the new 'hi-tech' 320ds.
Used 320i SE 55 Reg - DP
Yeah, it's the new 177 bhp engine with the Efficient Dynamics system. Uses an intelligent alternator, regenerative braking to charge the battery, and auto start-stop. All sorts of other clever stuff as well like an air-con system that completely disengages from the drivebelts when not in use, and "on demand" power steering that's something like 90% more efficient than a conventional system. The CO2 output is only 9g/km off congestion charge exemption as well.

It's the kind of car that makes me feel better about the future. Stonking performance, and desirable at a heart string tugging level, but with real world economy that matches or even eclipses a hybrid, and environmental/economy measures that work in the real world.

How all those systems stand up to 150,000 miles of hard use though is anyone's guess.

Cheers
DP

Used 320i SE 55 Reg - niceguyeddy
Glass's Guide for this car is not available as the model ended 05/05 however 05/05 books at £10525 trade and £12675 retail for 37000 miles.

Possibly been hanging around at a dealer waiting to be registered when it was new.

I suggest a fair retail price taking into account the miles and later registration should be approx £14750 ish (BMW dealer after all) I rekon it owes them approx £10500 to £11000.

Sounds a big margin but I know that their average recon bill to bring it up to BMW approved standard will be circa £800 plus warranty is expensive for dealer to buy.

Make a sporting bid you dont know if you dont ask !!
Used 320i SE 55 Reg - jbif
>>Make a sporting bid you dont know if you dont ask !!

Too late with your advice - see willhollin's post a few lines above. He did bid but "The deal was done, no reduction in price could be milked out of the dealer but they threw in the BMW seal and protect treatment FOC. "

Used 320i SE 55 Reg - Sandgrown
The model that finished in 05/05 was the E46. I think the OP is buying a new (E90) model.
Used 320i SE 55 Reg - niceguyeddy
guess I should read the entire thread next time lol .... cant do a smiley cos they shouted at me last time
Used 320i SE 55 Reg - MichaelR
I had one of these on a 56 plate from new for 1300 miles. It was thirsty but didnt offer the performance to match its thirst.

Buy a 325i instead.