1997 MKIII, 2L GTI - turns over doesn't fire up - Richypk
My ten 11 year old Golf has finally caused me a problem. It has been driving perfectly for years until yesterday. I turned the key in the ignition and the engine turned over but failed to fire up. Trying to jump-start the car didn't work either. All the electrics are okay and the relevant warning lights are lit. My initial thoughts were spark plugs, alternator but these along with the battery, HT leads and distributor cap are all new and working fine. A new ignition coil has been fitted and not sorted the problem. The garage is stumped. They say there is no spark or fuel going to the engine. They think it may be the immobiliser but i am not so sure as my immobiliser would normally not allow any turn over or use of the lights. Any ideas folks??
I am not very technical so keep it simple please. Thanks
1997 MKIII, 2L GTI - turns over doesn't fire up - Screwloose
Richy

How your garage can be stumped when they haven't even started is staggering - do they think they have a future....?

Right; engine cranks - no spark or fuel. Always best to concentrate on one area as fixing that often cures all.

So; is there a key-on feed to the coil? If not; suspect ign switch.

Does the rev counter rise/flicker when cranked?

Are the feeds and earths to the ECU correct?

Is the signal from the crank sensor and the cam sensor [in the dizzy] in order?

Does the fuel pump run at key-on? Is it's fuse live when cranking?

What's the engine code?
1997 MKIII, 2L GTI - turns over doesn't fire up - ggh1
Check the condition of the Crank Sensor wiring where it connects to the head of the sensor. The wiring insulation can crumble away in your fingers. The Crank Sensor is hard to find and see, it is at the bottom of the block just above the sump and behind the front engine mounting bracket.
1997 MKIII, 2L GTI - turns over doesn't fire up - ggh1
Sorry Richypk, I see I have used the wrong word in my above posting. The Crank Sensor does not have a connector at the sensor head, the wiring goes directly into the sensor head and this is where the insulation fails. I replaced this sensor in my 1996 Mk111 2L AGG engine GTI last year to cure the problems you listed above.
1997 MKIII, 2L GTI - turns over doesn't fire up - maltrap
My Mk3 had 2 new ignition switches in 14 years, a common fault.