06 1.6 FSi. Poor handling with 19" wheels fitted - eyeballpaul
Hey all.

I have just bought a 2006 "06" golf mark 5, 1.6 FSI sport. It came with a set of 19" alloys with 225/35/19 tyres.

It seems to feel unsafe on the road. When I am cornering at even slow speeds it feels like the car wants to slide across the road slightly.

Are the 19" wheels to big for a mk5 golf??

Cheers.

{year,engine added to subject header - as per 3 ignored requests. Also given the subject header a hopefully less vague title}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/04/2008 at 19:35

Golf not safe on road... - VR6
I drive a Mk5 Golf on standard 16" wheels. It corners very well and I feel very confident cornering at high speed. The problem you descibe seems alien to me.

If the only thing that has been changed from original spec is the wheels, then that would point to them being the problem.

What tyres have you got on them?
Golf not safe on road... - eyeballpaul
its just cheap ones the guy must have put on them..called kumho ( i assume they are cheap?)

I have been worrying that it might be the suspension, so ive just had that checked and its A ok. But then to buy tyres it will cost like £800 or sumin for a set, which i dont want to spend unless that is defo the problem! What I dont want to do, is buy a full set of 19" tyres, find out it is the same problem, then have to buy like 18" wheels and tyres...

its so expensive lol

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/04/2008 at 19:27

Golf not safe on road... - Screwloose
paul

It may not be the diameter that's the problem; many aftermarket wheels have to change the offset too and interfering with the scrub radius can make the car feel horrible.
Golf not safe on road... - daveyjp
If it wasn't a factory upgrade I'd revert to an OEM wheel. Kuhmo tyres are well respected.