2005 1.2 - Help please to identify the problem - Mazz
Bought the above car from a Skoda dealership 2 weeks ago, the car is almost 3 years old and has done 17950miles.

Last week when driving there was an loud grating noise that sounded like metal scraping on metal coming from behind the drivers seat, but underneath the car. I pulled over thinking I had driven over something. Nothing there. The noise disappeared for a couple hundred yards and came back even worse.

I took it back to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong...or so they said. It hasn't happened since however...now the engine doesn't drive as quiet as it should do and gently rattles and the exhaust sounds slightly noisy. Reversing it cuts out on me.
Friends have said it could be the gearbox, the exhaust, the valves in the engine and the camshaft?

I want to take it back to the dealership but wanted to let them know what to look for. This is the 2nd Fabia I have returned to them in the past month.
Can anyone advise me please?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/04/2008 at 10:41

2005 1.2 - Help please to identify the problem - Mazz
Skoda Fabia, Ambiente, 2005, 1.2cc. Bought the above car from a Skoda dealership 2 weeks ago, the car is almost 3 years old and has done 17950miles.

{Rest snipped as same text as above post}

Can anyone advise me please?

{year & engine details added to subject header - as per ignored requests x 3 off}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/04/2008 at 10:42

2005 1.2 - Help please to identify the problem - Screwloose

Nothing comes to mind on your strange noise - maybe a stone stuck somewhere.

Is this the 12-valve engine; engine code would help.