1999 2.0L SE Automatic Humming Noise - raymcm
I recently purchased the above vehicle (57,000 mls). There is a persistant humming (almost resonating) noise coming from the front offside wheel area (difficult to tell but that's where I think it's coming from). The noise is most noticeable at low speeds, say up to 30 mph. Two of my friends, both very experienced mechanics in their sixties tell me it's not wheel bearings (both have test driven the vehicle). The car came with almost new Vredestein directional tyres that look to be in very good condition, and yes, they are rotating the right way round. One of my friends thought it might be tyre noise. I fitted the spare (Bridgestone) tyre to the front offside but the noise was just the same. This noise is driving me crazy I should be most grateful for any help on how I can track this down and hopefully rectify it. My local garages don't seem interested due to being busy with MOT's and if I take it into the main dealer they will see it as an open cheque and simply change out things that don't need changing at phenominal cost.