2004 1.2i - manual gearbox problem - Group B
My Mum has a 54 reg 1.2 Corsa with just under 60k miles on it, I think its the 16v SXi model, with manual 'box as stated in the title.

A month or two ago she was finding it difficult selecting 1st and 2nd gears, which she kept quiet about but it got to the point where she was sometimes having to pull away in 2nd as she could not get it into 1st.

She eventually mentioned it so my Dad took it to a local indie garage to be looked at. They diagnosed that it was a common problem on this model, ordered and fitted some sort of repair kit from Vauxhall.
But on completion they stated that the gearchange was still quite difficult to operate and she could have damaged the gearbox by being rough with it, trying to force it into gear.
They advised to either get a new gearbox or get rid of the car...

I've not looked at the linkage myself but have tried the gearchange and it does require a lot more sideways pressure on the lever than should be necessary. Now 1st gear is not too bad but selecting 2nd is quite difficult, and sometimes needs more than one attempt. 3rd, 4th and 5th gear are no problem.

Is this common on these cars as the garage stated (they said they have to fit the repair kits "regularly")? Has anyone else experienced this - is it just the linkage or is it a gearbox problem (selector forks?)?
Is it plausible that she has done gearbox damage or should we get it looked at again? (Bearing in mind my Mum is a slightly-built 58 year old with early stages of an arthritic problem in her left wrist).

Any advice appreciated,

Rich.

Edited by Webmaster on 30/11/2008 at 19:09

54-plate 1.2i - manual gearbox problem - DP
One of the many wonderful bits of mechanical design on the old Astras and Cavaliers with the F series boxes was an idiot proof way of checking and setting up the gear linkage.

There was a plug in the gearbox housing near where the linkage entered. Pull out the plug, put the box in neutral, and have an assistant hold the gearlever in neutral but in the plane to select 1st and 2nd. You should be able to insert a drill bit (can't remember the size) into the shaft just inside the plug hole. If you can, the adjustment is correct. If you can't, keep your assistant holding the lever in the same place, slacken the clamp bolt on the gear linkage just above the gearbox, and twist the gearbox end of the linkage until the drill bit slots home. Then tighten the clamp bolt back up, pull out the bit, and refit the plug.

If the Corsa has something similar, this would be a good (free) place to start.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 31/03/2008 at 13:29

54-plate 1.2i - manual gearbox problem - Group B
Thanks for the tip DP, next time I am up at their place I will see if there is a similar way to check the linkage on the Corsa.

Had a busy weekend and in my haste I forgot to look at the CBCB; in there it states "Gearbox linkage can fail, repair kit £95". So that answers some of my queries, but not the ongoing problem..

cheers,

Rich
54-plate 1.2i - manual gearbox problem - Screwloose

Can you select reverse OK?
Reverse was not bad when I tried it, a bit notchy but it went in without baulking. My Mum says she occasionally needs two attempts to get it into reverse, but nowhere near as problematic as 1st and 2nd.
54-plate 1.2i - manual gearbox problem - Victorbox
Shame your mum kept quiet about it until it was out of warranty as it would have been repaired for free as it is a known fault. While it won't take a Vauxhall dealer long to set up the revised gear change linkage (as they do so many) as has been suggested, there is a quite precise set up routine to run through - perhaps your indie garage didn't do it well enough.
Shame your mum kept quiet about it until it was out of warranty

I know. Unfortunately "my mum" and "motoring" do not sit well together!. I have only driven her car twice, and my Dad rarely drives it, so we weren't aware of the problem.
54-plate 1.2i - manual gearbox problem - Victorbox
Just found the set up procedure for Corsa C gear linkage from the wonderful Cavweb forum:-

to setup the gear linkage

Undo the T45 pinch bolt on the gear linkage to selector rod,
on the front of the gear selector housing (radiator side) you'll see a little plunger, this has to pushed in but you have to turn the gear linkage one way for it to engage competely.

Remove the gear lever gaiter inside the car then you'll see a hole on the lever that you put a 4mm pin through which locates in another hole unerneith it (push the gear lever over to the left in between 1st and 2nd gear) then insert the pin and this will lock the gear shift lever.

Check the plunger pin is still pushed in, now tighten up the T45 pinch bolt all should now work perfect unless the gear linkage is worn out which is a very common fault on coras. A repair kit is available from dealers for around £40

Just done it on a 2002 1.0 litre which was baulking at first and second gear selection. Took me about 15 mins. Gearchange now perfect. If you buy the Haynes manual it gives full instructions and a few black & white pics. On my car the pinch bolt on the gear lingage needed a star shaped socket (T45) about same size as the one you need for the sump drain plug - whereas Haynes pic shows standard hex bolt head. Best to check before getting too oily...

Tighten gear linkage bolt to 9 lb/ft then again by 225 degrees ( a full three quarters of a turn)
54-plate 1.2i - manual gearbox problem - DP
Hasn't changed much then - identical in principle.

Great bit of design.

Cheers
DP
54-plate 1.2i - manual gearbox problem - patrick boyd
Hi im having the problem of getting into 2nd. Would you suggest trying to adjust it first. Me and my dad couldnt really see any wearing, but then again we didnt really know what we were looking for!

Any advise would be great thanks Patrick
54-plate 1.2i - manual gearbox problem - hollybee
I have exactly the same problem on a 52-plate. I've looked around this apparently is a common problem which Vauxhall customers are having to pay out for.

I've sent an e-mail to watchdog, explaining about the problem. Maybe you should do the same....if enough people complain, maybe something can be done about it!