2001 - 1100cc - very rough running in wet weather - chindu
Hi,

Sorry if this rambles on a bit.

My girlfriends has a 106 1.1L Independence. She didn't have any service history with it and hasn't had any servicing done since getting it. I've recently done the oil and filter and the cam-belt / tensioner / water pump. Air filter still need still be changed - am going to tap that out in a bit.
It runs well most of the time but when the weather is very wet it runs very rough - kangaroos, sounds like it's missing etc.

My initial thought was Distributor cap / HT leads but it's a distributor-less ignition system with a rail.
The spark plugs have not been changed in at least the last 25000 miles, so I did wonder if they might need replacing - maybe one of them breaking down. If so how on earth do I get them out.

Does anyone have any ideas where I should start looking?

Many thanks.
2001 - 1100cc - very rough running in wet weather - madf
Buy a Haynes manual. Sound slike plugs and leads . Could be multi pin connector under battery - exposed to damp.
2001 - 1100cc - very rough running in wet weather - Screwloose

Coilpacks are a common problem; but if it really hasn't had a service for over 25,000 miles, then all sorts of other things come into the picture too.

To access the plugs; undo the four-way plug and the two nuts on the coilpack and just lift it out. The plugs are down the holes - use genuine ones ONLY.

If the coilpack is a Sagem one - bin it anyway. Fit a dealer's Bougicord replacement.

Water in the crank sensor, or oxygen sensor, plugs is another possibility.
Looks like I've got a busy weekend.....
Right - found a bit of time so I thought I'd make a start on it and it actually didn't take as long as I thought it might. The plugs that came out were in good condition - slight tan colour although the gaps on the old ones might be a bit big doe to electrode wear.
Good news (hopefully) with the coil-pack - it's a Bougicord one and looks to be in good condition externally. It did make a bit of a rattling noise when being moved though - is that normal with the springs or is it anything I should be concerned about?

Guess I 'll have to wait for some wet weather nowto see if that's made any difference.....

Yes; the extensions do twang a bit. So you fitted genuine plugs?

What about the two sensor plugs? [Low down on the front of the clutch housing.]
Hi Screwloose,

Yes got the genuine plug as you suggested. The car is running so much better now! I recon some of the old spark plug gaps were near enough 2mm - surprised it worked at all!
Also made up a new negative cable as the existing one was loose as someone had overtightened it. Peugeot wanted £21 for it which I thought was a bit steep so I got a boat battery post connector some cable and got crimping....am pleased with the results - much better than the original.
Gave the bolts a good clean up with a wire brush to make sure there's good earth and electrical contact..
I've not had a look at the main connector in front of the battery or the sensor plugs yet though. I'll see if I can have a look one evening this week. I presume I need to disconnect the battery negative before looking at anything?

Thanks.

If it's now OK; leave the main loom connector - they don't like being disturbed.

The other two plugs only need the ignition off, or they'll set open-circuit fault-codes.
Something else I was hoping to do was get rid of the flashing spanner on the dash as it's now been serviced. Does anyone know how I go about that?
To the lower left of the speedo is a button.

Hold it in - switch on ign - hold for 10 secs - job done.

Edited by Screwloose on 09/04/2008 at 17:17

Ideal - all sorted. thanks for all the help.