uneven running - borasport20
2.0 bora sport - had to stop on the way home last night and became aware the engine was running very unevenly

same problem this morning, it's also noticable the engine is down on power and very hesitant under acceleration

the two local dealers i've called say it needs plugging in to the diagnostics and neither of them can do that until the middle of next week, and i'm not happy about running round in a car i dont feel confident about

any helpful ideas ?

ta

(p.s. - what happened to the days when a bloke came out, looked at your car, listened to it, blipped the throttle and instantly knew the cause of your problem - can't get past the service receptionist these days)
when you've got tired of driving ...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
well it ran like a dog(*) last night

it ran like a dog(*) to and from the nearest dealers this morning

then it ran as sweet as a nut all the way in to work

(*) no offence is meant or should be taken by any canine animal nor is this post indicative of the authors opinions of canines in specific or general
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
uneven running - Peter D
Sounds like a blocked ( Unusual ) injector or more likely an intermitted connection to the injector. Check all four injectors connectors are firmly connected.

Was it wet/damp then the car was a dog ?? and now it runs fine in the dry.

Was the running rough a regular miss fire or a random miss.

Come Back

Peter
peter

it was bone dry

the engine was just running rough - open the bonnet and you could see it vibrating abnormally. put your foot down when driving and you can feel it coughing and spluttering

been out for a blat at dinnertime and it is still fine !

ta

www.mikes-walks.co.uk
uneven running - Richard Hall
If it's an engine management fault, the fault code should still be stored in the ECU even though the problem appears to have gone away. This is very handy for tracking down intermittent faults. Probably worth getting the dealer to plug it in anyway.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
uneven running - Mike H
Could be as simple as loose plug lead(s), or even loose plugs. As has been said, sounds like an electrical connection of some sort. Try gently waggling a few pertinent wires while the engine is running badly (beware the plug leads, check those offline!).
back in days of yore (snore, snore..) I'd have been working my way through the list > points/plugs/dizzy cap/rotor arm/lt/ht/timing

now i have to go to halfords to buy a manual in the hope it'll allow me to get the plastic cover of the engine so i can actually see if this newfangled beast actually possesses any of the above components

www.mikes-walks.co.uk
uneven running - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
HT lead insulation problems very common on these. Or, specifically, HT tracking from the plug covers to the head. Sometimes, if you get someone else to give the pedal a good prod whilst observing the leads, you can see the sparks jumping. Other times it is tracking down the side of the plug inside the cover. You could try one new plug cover (if you have the removeable / pull-off type) or one new lead and move it from cylinder to cylinder until (hopefully) the problem is solved, or give your card a really good work-out and fit a new complete set of leads.

Can't assure you this is the problem from afar, of course, as there are so many possibilities, but it is very common.

HTH, Adam
The dealer diagnosed a faulty no 2 ht lead, which they replaced under warranty. That sorted the problem for a few weeks, and I asked them to look at the problem again (still under warranty) which they omitted to do, and now of course the warranty has expired, so i've ordered leads 1,3 and 4, and a new set of plugs (for luck).

Seeing that i can't find a way to get the leads off 2&3 plugs or get the plugs out without removing the inlet manifold which goes over the top of them, on friday its off the the only garage in my neck of the woods thats in HJ's good garage list. lets hope they are !

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up