2005 d5 auto, couple of queries - prm72
Hi, i've just bought a 2005 D5 SE auto, and i've heard that the autos can have problems such as coolant entering and mixing with the ATM and wear because of the going into neutral when foot on the brake thing? does anyone know if the 05 ones were affected or were the problems ironed out, its the facelift model by the way with geartronic, 5 speed i think. Thanks in advance. Just one more thing its got the sports pack with 18" wheels, do you know the original size tyres for for these wheels.
2005 d5 auto, couple of queries - TheOilBurner
On your 2005 model the software should have been changed so it doesn't automatically shift into neutral. You should be able to feel it if it does, you will feel nothing if it doesn't and moving off should seem fairly quickly and smooth.

I've not heard of issues with coolant mixing with ATF on the Volvos, although this did happen with Vectra-Cs using the same box. That was caused by a faultly seal on the join between the radiator and oil cooler, so Volvo may well use a different design that doesn't suffer these problems.

The only thing I would say for the Volvo autos is consider flushing the ATF every 60-70k miles at most. Volvo reckon it doesn't ever need replacing in normal use, but this is in direct contradiction to all the other manufactuers that use these Aisin-Warner boxes. Vauxhall/Saab reckon on changing the fluid every 50k miles.

No idea on your tyres I'm afraid.
2005 d5 auto, couple of queries - prm72
Thanks OB, yes i did know the vectras had probs and being the same box i was concerned.