What are Extra Load tyres? - M.M
My new to me Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X Estate ideally needs a couple of tyres, not due to tread depth but as all four are different and two are very cheap ones..... I want to work towards a set of four the same and of reasonable quality.

Two are "Extra Load" tyres and two normal, the size is 205/50x17 W rated.

I can't find anyone who can explain exactly how extra load tyres are different and why my Mondeo might need them. So far tyre dealers have told me they are "because it's an estate" "because it will do 130mph" "because its a heavy car". There is nothing I can see in the handbook re needing extra loads.

My gut feeling is they might be needed on a big 4x4 but not an ordinary car. I wonder too if they are stiffer and give a harder more noisy ride??
Thanks,

David
What are Extra Load tyres? - Roly93
Extra load tyres are fairly important on modern FWD diesel cars due to the sheer weight of the diesel engines. No using extra load tyres can cause all sorts of potential problems in the long run. I think there was a thread on this topic some months ago.
Whoever said it was because it was an estate and could do 130 MPH was clearly just saying the first thing that popped into their head !
In broad terms, if you have anything with a 2.0 + diesel engine up front, you will neeed tyres with the extra load rating.
Forgot to say but it's a petrol.

You're right about the tyre dealers comments... sadly over all my motoring years I've found tyre dealers most likely of all in the motor trade to make stuff up on the spot.

David
What are Extra Load tyres? - NARU
Whenever I ring the lease company for new tyres I'm asked for the load rating from the sidewall of the current tyres so they get a like-for-like replacement. I assume this information is also in the handbook.
What are Extra Load tyres? - Billy Whizz
David, XL tyres (which stand for eXtra Load) are exactly the same as Reinforced. Knowing your LR interest, you may remember that when the Discovery first came out it had 205 R16 Reinforced tyres whereas the previous RR had the same sized ones but not Reinforced. As mentioned previously, it is to do with an extra load requirement.

Your driver's handbook should be quite specific about what replacement tyres are required. If Reinforced or XL are not specified in the handbook then they are not required. XL tyres are more expensive than the equivalent non-XL and are likely to have stiffer sidewalls producing a harsher ride.
Here is the link to Continental's 2007 - 2008 Technical Databook which you might find interesting.

tinyurl.com/2lxp5q
What are Extra Load tyres? - Bill Payer
I know when I've looked at this in the past, there isn't actually all that much difference in the load capability of any given XL and non-XL version of the same tyre.
what car was this for BP?
what car was this for BP?

Well, it doesn't really matter.

If you take the OP's 205/50/17 size, the normal load rating is 89 and the XL is 93.

That relates to max 580kg and 650Kg. Actually, that is a bit more than I remember.

The max rating only applies at higher tyre pressures - at normal pressures the difference is a bit less.
What are Extra Load tyres? - ijws15
I was castigated about a year ago for considering a "non" XL tyre for SWMBOs EOS when it developed a bleb.

The car came new on XLs and after much questioning of VW customer services they confirmed they were not needed. Book did not say and dealers did not know what the minimum spec for the car was! I did put a matching XL tyre on.

Ford should be able to tell you what the minimum spec is, it probably has these on because the tyre fitter had them on hand.

XLs are more expensive!
What are Extra Load tyres? - Stuartli
Some of the extra load tyres appear to require higher tyre pressures.
What are Extra Load tyres? - kithmo
XL tyres are more expensive than the equivalent non-XL and are likely to have stiffer sidewalls producing a harsher ride.

Well worth the extra money IMO as I found out when one dark wet winters night I ran over a piece of debris in the road in my previous Mk3 Mondeo Ghia X V6 and my front tyre deflated instantly (actually went bang). Stiffer sidewalls = more control on a flat tyre.
The requirement for XL tyres on the Mondeo was and still is something of a mystery to me though. At the time I was told by one source that it was a requirement on the V6 and diesel variants due to the heavier engine, which doesn't make sense now as I have a TDCi and it doesn't have XL tyres on (still have 2 of the original tyres on). I was told by another source it was because it had ESP and yet another because it had 17" wheels etc. etc.
What are Extra Load tyres? - Martin Devon
Forgot to say but it's a petrol.
You're right about the tyre dealers comments... sadly over all my motoring years I've found
tyre dealers most likely of all in the motor trade to make stuff up on
the spot.

Full of wind...............all of 'em!

MD
What are Extra Load tyres? - Alby Back
Hi David - Just for info. I have exactly the same car as you but with the diesel engine. I have over 140k mls on now so as you will gather I have replaced the tyres a few times! I have never been advised that extra load tyres were necessary or required. For what it's worth I had always put Continental Sport Contacts on it but this last time there was a goodish deal on Pirelli P7s and I have those on at present. They seem at least as good as the Contis and I could persuade myself that they "feel" better. As an aside, my car is normally fully laden and has always felt fine on "normal" tyres. I guess there's no harm in having the extra load type fitted but I'm pretty certain it's not essential.

Best Rgds
SS
I wonder what the max fully laden weight on the rear axle of a Mondeo Estate is?

Looking at some figures on a quick internet search it looks like max vehicle weight could be around 2250Kg (depends on model etc).

I've no idea how that splits F/R, but it strikes me that even XL tyres probably don't have a *huge* margin!! And if the car was towing, then maybe they'd be essential.
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Just had a really good look this morning and actually only the one "proper" brand tyre is a normal one, an NCT5 rated to 650kg. This looks to be an original spec tyre and probably a first replacement some years back.

The other three rubbish tyres all say Extra Load but the load rating is the same at 650kg. Odd???

The handbook states a kerb weight of 1500Kg and max of 2030Kg. I'm happy with 570Kg leeway on the max.

Checked both handbook and a tyre makers website and Extra Load not specified for this car.

The tyres I'd got in mind were Vredestein Ultrac and there was a deal on a pair that were Extra Loads, not going to get them if not needed just in case going back to standards does ease the ride a little. Remember I've been a Citroen driver for almost 10yrs and springs are taking some time to feel the norm.

Also I measured them this morning a bit annoyed to see my cheap tyres have treads of 6-7mm and even wear so I really ought to use a bit of that.

David
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Just had a really good look this morning and actually only the one "proper" brand
tyre is a normal one an NCT5 rated to 650kg. This looks to be an
original spec tyre and probably a first replacement some years back.
The other three rubbish tyres all say Extra Load but the load rating is the
same at 650kg. Odd???

No, that's correct.

The load rating and its number varies according to the size of the tyre, but the number becomes part of the tyre marking.

So in your case, your tyres are 205/50R17 and then 89 (standard) or 93 (XL) then a letter for the speed rating, ie:
205/50R17 93V.

Edited by Bill Payer on 26/03/2008 at 10:43

What are Extra Load tyres? - Rolling Richard
Just found this thread. {same can't be said for the tinyurl one!}

Extra Load tyres are designed to be used at higher pressures than normal tyres. They have the same maximum load capacity as a normal tyre with the same Load Index but achieve this at a higher pressure. Normal tyres are inflated to pressures between 2 bar and 2.5 bar. They reach the maximum load capacity as specified by the Load Index when inflated to 2.5 bar (35psi) Eg for a Load Index of 94 this is 670kg. Extra Load tyres can be inflated to pressures up to 2.9 bar (41psi) and actually have a lower load capacity at the same pressure as a normal tyre with the same Load Index. To get the 670kg load capacity for a Load Index of 94, an Extra Load tyre must be inflated to 2.9 bar. At 2.5bar it will only have a load capacity of 595kg.

Use the tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer and inflated to the pressures they specify. Differing from this could be dangerous or at least uncomfortable with a harsher ride.

A link was given to the Continental databook by one of the other replies:

tinyurl.com/2lxp5q {Link shortened to restore page width to normal}

Pages 104 and 105 give all the load capacities for normal and Extra Load tyres at different inflation pressures.

Richard

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/05/2008 at 15:12

What are Extra Load tyres? - L'escargot
More info here .... tinyurl.com/55jc6y
What are Extra Load tyres? - ijws15
We had an EOS supplied new on Bridgestone XL tyres.

Took a bit of effort to get VW to tell me what the minimum spec was - all the selling dealer could tell me was the size fitted new (and they we 17" instead of the standard 16"). Customer services intially told me to ring some dealers but they then gave me different answers, and what one dealer said meant that another dealer had a new car on under-specced tyres.

Turns out that the XL tyres were not necessary and the standard ones are fine. The e-mail from VW technical stating this is probably still taped inside the front cover of the manual.

Ford should be able to tell you the minimum spec of tyre you should use - the difficulty might be getting through to the man who knows.
What are Extra Load tyres? - Marc
I have a similar issue with our Galaxy at the moment. The handbook states "rf." tyres . The Mondeo handbook should be similar. I'm guessing I need these because of the weight of the vehicle.

Re-inforced or extra load tyres are more expensive and there's not as much to choose from.
What are Extra Load tyres? - GaryC

Old thread, I know, sorry!

My handbook and car says it needs

195/55R16 91T

This is an extra load tyre. It seems from looking online that the only option is the £120 Michelin Energy tyre. I've seen it unfitted as low as £82, but that's not so much use unless I can get someone to fit and balance four tyres for nowt.

Anyone come up with a cheaper equivalent? It's only a Citroen C3

What are Extra Load tyres? - gordonbennet

£38 a corner to fit tyres you supply!!!.

I'm in the wrong game..:-)

If you search on Mytyres they have a fitting centre search facility, input your postcode with a radius of your choice, do ring the centre for confirmation of cost though..one place offering a fair deal overcharged me and Mytyres reimbursed me the overcharge to their credit, and updated the fitting centre's price.

I'd be inclined to ask at a competent Citroen service desk, can't think why your car would need XL tyres, they may well have updated info, if you went for 87 H or V rated instead you'll get a much better selection.

What are Extra Load tyres? - jamie745

I was offered tyres for my car which will 'make it safe for doing 150mph'.

.....Why?

What are Extra Load tyres? - gordonbennet

I was offered tyres for my car which will 'make it safe for doing 150mph'.

.....Why?

Because being capable of withstanding a constant 150mph sustained running assuming you have the correct load rating and correct inflation pressures, then they have no comeback should you suddenly decide to take a fast trip to Germany, assuming the high speed rating is in the handbook...it will be for your car i assure you.

If they recommended tyres with a 113 mph rating knowing the makers specification and you had a blowout at 140, they are up the creek, and you're dead.

What are Extra Load tyres? - jamie745

Yes i understand the principle totally. Im never going to do 150mph but its nice to know they're good for a long motorway trip. My watch will apparently go down 100 metres or something, im never going to do that but i know its ok out in the rain if you get what i mean.

Yes the high speed rating is in the book, i may forget to check oil for several years in a row but tyres is one thing i am big on. Im one of those who goes outside every sunday with a digital pressure thingy just to make sure they're all perfect. I hate tyre pressures being wrong or uneven, one of my biggest pet hates.

Edited by jamie745 on 22/09/2011 at 16:29

What are Extra Load tyres? - SteveLee

Mytyres.co.uk fitted price for 91 load 195/55x16

Accelera AlphaV £63.70
Yokohama C.Drive 2 (very nice tyre) £106.80
Dunlop SP fast response £110.50
Continnental Premium Contact 2 £110.80

What are Extra Load tyres? - GaryC

Thanks!

Those Accelera's look scary, but I think I might check out the Yokohama. Still need to find a local supplier though, but those look much more reasonable.

Edit:

But! Your idea to look for mobile fitting, which I hadn't considered before, throws up this:

MICHELIN ENERGY 195/55R16 91T £103 all in, inc. vat.

From www.tyrefitdirect.co.uk

These are what's on the car already, and cheaper than the big shed suppliers.

Edited by GaryC on 23/09/2011 at 09:39