99-06 - Good or Bad? - V4 Heaven
Hi all,

Looking for a runaround for 3000 quid. I could get a 1996 VW Polo 1.9D for 2100, a 1999 Polo 1.4 16v for 2900 or there are a few 2002/2003 Punto 1.2s about for 3000. You seem to get a bit more for your money with the Punto and the insurance is cheaper.

I know VW have a better reliability rating then Fiats (although I have heard some scare stories about the VWs) but are the Puntos good or bad?

And what small hatch with 5 doors, economical with a low insurance group would you spend your money on?

Edited by Pugugly on 21/03/2008 at 10:51

Fiat Punto II - 99-06 - Good or Bad? - Alby Back
How about a slightly newer Panda ? Supposed to be very good apparently.
Fiat Punto II - 99-06 - Good or Bad? - aaflyer
Agree with shoespy.

I've got a Mk II with 40k on it. Yes, it's group 2 or 3 but the exhaust went at 32k and new discs (and, as a result, pads) were required at 37k. Squeaky, very firm ride and not too stable above 65. Fiat customer service is a little suspect, too.

What about a Yaris, Getz (with a bit of its 5yr warrantly left?), Vxhall Astra or Skoda

AA

Edited by aaflyer on 21/03/2008 at 18:52

Fiat Punto II - 99-06 - Good or Bad? - touristboy
Have just bought an 02 reg one to replace the wrote off fabia (yes I know!)

Hoping its a good one, going to get the timing belt done straight away.

have had a mark 1, seems better all round though anything I should look for or any pinions would be welcome!

Fiat Punto II - 99-06 - Good or Bad? - aaflyer
Check:

(a.) Discs - known to warp at low(ish) miles;
(b.) Rear suspension - known to be a bit dodgy on som cars; check that the tyres are perfectly straight as you look at them from behind and that you can go over speed humps without any worrying noises;
(c.) That there's no clunking noise on full lock at low speed. I believe that there were a range of Mk IIs recalled because of problems with steering. H.J.'s car-by-car breakdown lists the VINs (I think!);
(d.) Yes, the manual says t.belt @ 70k but any good dealer should change it at the 4yr/48,000k service.

Again, probably HJ's car-by-car is a good bet. Happy motoring and let me know if you have any problems!

AA
Fiat Punto II - 99-06 - Good or Bad? - drivewell
My wife has a 2002, 12. 8v (5 door)

Had it since 6 months old, 3,500 miles.

Apart from oil changes, two sets of spark plugs, tyres and other 'service' items, it's had:

Complete exhaust system at 30 months (£108 from Budget), and one back box (£21 - fitted myself).

Ignition module replaced at 30 months (warranty)

Two sets of front pads / one set of discs (done myself)

One bonnet release cable (done myself)

Head gasket replaced / head skimmed / timing belt replaced at 60,000 miles (66 months). Work done by local independent, as I was too busy. £320.

Wiper mechanism push-rods replaced at 58,000 miles (64 months) - £30 for uprated parts, did job myself.

Don't know about you, but apart from the headgasket going, I don't think that's bad for 60,000 miles of use - and by the way, I Paid £5,200 for it, it's probably worth £2,200 just now, so £3000 depreciation over more than five years is looking good - wish I could get any where near that on the cars I run!
Thanks for all replies so far!

Thats what happened to my old punto, suspension went and the head gasket as well so wary of these anyway.

has full service history and apart from the passenger seat latch not working (which is getting sorted before pickup) everything looks tidy and sounds good.

will keep you all updated
Thanks for replies so far!

Wary of head gasket and suspension as had problems with these on old punto.

Apart from passenger seat latch not working (which is getting sorted before pickup) everything looks and sounds fine and has full service history.

Will keep you updated
Fiat Punto II - 99-06 - Good or Bad? - nick
Maybe I'm odd drivewell, but I'd consider that appalling reliability. The depreciation cost is pretty good though.
99-06 - Good or Bad? - MondeoMonkeyMagic
Hi,

Apolgies for the late reply, but I needed to check my facts before posting. A friend where I used to work owns a 04 1.2 Active with currenlty 39K on it. Even though he has had it serviced at Fiat (which is not mandated now), he has had continual problems with the driver's and passenger airbag and the sensors. All Fiat seemed to want to do is charge him £80 to plug in a computer to tell him everything's OK and reset the dashboard light. His exhaust went 2 weeks after the warranty, no financial help from Fiat despite as I say FFSH. His gearbox then went 1 month ago, again no help form Fiat. He now thinks the head gaskets is going and oh guess what the airbag light has come on again. He is married, a good all round chap with 2 kids, doesn't know what an ASBO means and yet he gets all this hassle from the car and the rubbish dealers. IMHO, give the car and even the range/dealers a wide berth, they are cheap (or some would say VFM) for a reason.
99-06 - Good or Bad? - touristboy
well I took the plunge and so far so good (he says after a day with it!)

Only slight complaint is the passenger wiper does not go all the way down after use, maybe the motor? Will have that looked into.

Have an excellent local garage who I have always used who will be doing the timing belt next week and give it the once over.

99-06 - Good or Bad? - Hamsterwheel
We bought a 2006 Fiat Grande Punto Active for my daughter to learn to drive in. Very pleased with the car overall but yesterday we had a weird experience with it. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had the same problem and knows what it is.

Starting the car after a 20-minute break from driving, we found that we had lost the indicators, fuel gauge indicator, rev counter and all other dashboard lights were just showing warning lights. We drove the few miles home, left the car for 20 minutes and restarted the engine to find everything was working fine.

The dealer supects a dodgy sensor but says they can only investigate the fault while it is actually happening.

Any ideas anyone?

Hamsterwheel
99-06 - Good or Bad? - DP
1996 VW Polo 1.9D for 2100

I had a 98R example at 3 yrs / 30,000 miles old, and it was the worst car I have ever owned by a country mile.

Dreadful build quality (rattled like an old truck at 40,000 miles, various bits of interior trim looked like they'd been assembled by Frank Spencer, rot on the rear arches and tailgate at four years old), dull to drive, not very economical, and poor reliablility. Always had something wrong with it, whether it was the leaking power steering rack, sticking thermostat, wiring faults, worn gear linkage, seized brake caliper or a faulty instrument panel which occurred in the year and a bit I was saddled with the thing.

This was a one owner car, owned by my in-laws from new. It had never been crashed, abused, or had a service skipped or skimped. It couldn't hide behind an excuse of mistreatment because it had been well looked after. The similarly aged Fiesta we would buy a year or two later was ten times the car this was.

Nothing I owned before, or have owned since, among the list being several £200 bangers, has got close to this for shoddy quality and iffy reliability. I cannot believe anyone would have the cheek to still ask £2k for one.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 05/12/2008 at 10:51

99-06 - Good or Bad? - immobilised
My father bought a Fiat Punto ELX 16V new in 2000 and sold it this year. He was very satisfied with it but it had an easy life (only 29,000 miles on the clock when he got rid of it). Around its sixth birthday the trip computer started to play up, but the other niggles (inaudible indicators that cancelled too soon; unsettled ride, pedal layout) were known Punto quirks. I liked it - it was comfortable, quiet, powerful enough and economical.
99-06 - Good or Bad? - Alanovich
inaudible indicators that cancelled
too soon;

Still the same design niggle on my 05 Stilo. I suppose it's just not a big deal to Italian drivers......

;-)