Road Angel information system - terryb
I too took notice of this one when I saw Tiff Needel doing the ad for it. But then that's exactly why he was paid vast sums of money wasn't it - to get people to notice. Interesting it's advertised as identifying accident blackspots!

It would be good to see comparative tests of the GPS systems, including ease of taking them out in case of visits over La Manche, as I too seem preoccupied with camera spotting and speedo watching whilst on foreign territory (eg A370 Bristol to Weston-S-M - more cameras than Lord Snowdon!)
Terry
Road Angel information system - Armitage Shanks {p}
GPSs aren't actually illegal over there but "Plod U Don't Like' says they are and confiscates them or makes you drive your car over them! A comparitive test is needed. Angel charges for database updates but I think Morpheous and Geodessey are free plus, one of them pays £50 for a report of a new site. Let's plug for a head to head test!
Road Angel information system - Alwyn
Clarification.

Morpheus and Geodesy are the same company. They pay £50 per new camera found. Origin Blue also pays £50. Blackspot Technologies make Road Angel and do not pay. Trafcam also do a system based on the Palm PDA.

All charge yearly fees for continued upgrades, after the first year, or 6 months in the case of Origin.

Of course it is fortunate that Morpehus and Origin Blue are reputable as it would be easy for someone less scrupulous to say, "Ah, we already know about that one, sorry no pay-out"

Is it the case that the engineers who install these milking machines have the systems and therefore would be first to report a new site? Or perhaps the highways engineers?
Road Angel information system - Alwyn
Nick,

Are you Nick Ireland or Nick from Ireland?

Can you clarify your post. When you say "they are not illegal over there", do you mean mainland UK?

Plod cannot take away a GPS system or have us run over it, as there is no legal basis for this. I have heard heard of this happening with radar detectors in France.

I read some time ago that Scottish police actually approve of such devices as they "draw attention to blackspots" Hmmmm.
Road Angel information system - Armitage Shanks {p}
Hi Alwyn, I am Nick Ireland. GPSs are not illegal in France, so far as I know they are not illegal anywhere! However, radar detectors are and Plod Francais is very suspicious of black boxes sitting on the dash with wires going in and out of them. This is whether they are pure GPS (legal) Morpheous GPS (legal but Plod doesn't like them) or pure radar detectors which are illegal; the penalty can be confiscation and/or an on the spot fine. The story one hears is that plod makes you put the device under one of your wheels and drive over it! To think we fought tw!o wars for this lot and still have to put up with their odd ideas
"You are only jealous because you can't hear the voices"
Road Angel information system - Metropolis.

It took me a while, but procrastination has won the day again and I have found the oldest thread on the backroom motoring section. Going through them it was mildly interesting to see the topics hardly change :-)

Road Angel information system - Brit_in_Germany

Thread t=1 no longer seems to exist but t=2 is still there

VW Passat Electrics | The Back Room Archive | Back Room Forum | Honest John