2007 1.8 TDCi Difficult to pull away at low revs. - dogdays
All the engineers at the company I work for have all been issued with 2007 Focus 1.8 TDCI estates. Not a bad car but rather dangerous at low revs on roundabouts and such like. It seems that unless you get the engine revving and slip the clutch we have no power available. This is even the case if the car is moving at walking pace in first gear.
I have had a couple of nasty turns trying to get onto roundabouts in London because of this flat spot. All three cars have the same problem, and it is much worse than on my old 2003 Mondao diesel estate. One of the guys had 2000 diesel Focus and he confirms the same deterioration. Any ideas??

ds

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/03/2008 at 21:44

Difficult to pull away at low revs. 2007TDCI 1.8 - mfarrow
You'll get use to it, that's all you can do.
Difficult to pull away at low revs. 2007TDCI 1.8 - qxman {p}
I had one of these on a one day rental and agree that its a horrible engine. Very flat response. I think its just designed like that. Maybe they can be chipped to improve the response?
Difficult to pull away at low revs. 2007TDCI 1.8 - DP
I drove an S-Max with this engine, and I noticed the same thing. I think it's a "characteristic".

Perfectly decent engine once rolling and on boost, but horribly "dead" at low revs and the first inch of accelerator pedal travel doesn't seem to do anything. When I got back in the Scenic (with 5 bhp less), I actually wheelspun it off the forecourt trying to drive it in the same way that made the S-Max drive "normally".

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 15/03/2008 at 23:32

Difficult to pull away at low revs. 2007TDCI 1.8 - MikeTorque
It improves once you've got a load of mileage on the clock and everything has loosened up, but I agree it's a pain at first until you get use to driving around the problem. BP Ultimate diesel helps as does Millers Diesel Power Sport 4 fuel treatment. The 1.6 TDCi is a lot more user friendly, pity they didn't choose that one instead of the 1.8.
Difficult to pull away at low revs. 2007TDCI 1.8 - paul19
bought an 06 tdci focus about 6 mths ago to replace an a4 2.0 tdi s-line to free up some cash so you can imagine what it feels like in comparison.

know i think i made a huge mistake in my choice of car, the engine noise is so lould and unrefined in comparrision and as you say poor low down. I wondered is it anything to dow ith the 1.8 being 8v compaired to to 1.6 and 2.0 being 16v
Difficult to pull away at low revs. 2007TDCI 1.8 - dogdays
It seems we all have experienced the same problem. The flat spot is also very inconsistent. Sometimes at low revs you put your foot down and it?s off like a rocket, other times you just sit there like a lemon with cars bearing down on you. I have taken to revving the engine and dropping the clutch in times of stress on roundabouts.

I would not buy one of these cars myself. The flat spot which is in my opinion dangerous, the engine noise, and the way it throws muck up from the front wheels in an arc over the drivers side windows making it difficult to look out, plus the lack of a heated front screen and slow engine warm up, takes the gloss off the car.

My family car is a Toyota, they seem to know how to make a car and the support is good. As for the Ford agent we use, they put the H into hopeless--- but that?s another story.

ds
Difficult to pull away at low revs. 2007TDCI 1.8 - quizman
My wife's Focus TDCI was just the same. I have never stalled a car so much as the TDCI 1.8.
She has now got a Golf 1.9 TDI and this is much better, I haven't stalled it yet! It seems to go as fast and has better fuel consumption.
ISIBAISIA (I've said it before and I'll say it again) the VW 1.9 TDI 105 bhp is a much better engine than the Ford 1.8 TDCI 115 bhp. About 10 times better.

Difficult to pull away at low revs. 2007TDCI 1.8 - Peter.N.
Its probably done deliberatly to make the flywheel last longer!
Difficult to pull away at low revs. 2007TDCI 1.8 - Blue {P}
The MAF sensor is a common cause of similar symptoms with the BMW 2.0d engine, there is a replacement aftermarket MAF available for these cars used in conjunction with a digital box of tricks that transforms the low range performance. It's one of the first things that I'll likely buy if I get a ZT.

Don't know whether a similar thing affects the Ford though.

Difficult to pull away at low revs. 2007TDCI 1.8 - quizman
Its probably done deliberatly to make the flywheel last longer!

Well it does not work, our flywheel lasted 27000 miles. Shocking.
2007 1.8TDCI lack of power on pulling away - dogdays
Further to my last post on low power when pulling away I think this clip from another site will exlain all.

Had a few that have been cured by uploading latest software.

One thing a lot of people don't realise is, on the Ford common rail system, the throttle pedal doesn't 'work' unless the engine is running at 750rpm or more, I think the term is 'idle clip'

So, you get the scenario of, letting the clutch up.. engine bogs down to say 700rpm, you try to catch it with the throttle and it stalls anyway.

{moved across to post this relates to}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/03/2008 at 17:08

2007 1.8TDCI lack of power on pulling away - drivewell
Stalling is a word coming up in a lot of the above posts. I stall my Mondeo TDCi more than any other car I've ever driven, and especially so if I've been driving something else and then jump back in the Mondeo.

Does stalling the engine put additional pressure on the dual mass flywheel - I kind of imagine it might, hence failure of DMF.

Edited by drivewell on 22/03/2008 at 17:57

2007 1.8TDCI lack of power on pulling away - SeanR

Purchased a used Focus 1.8 diesel Titanium in December 2009 (Xmas eve) and agreed with above comments about the jerkiness and random stalling at low revs/setting off from traffic lights.

Bought some millers additive and although MPG improved from around 42 to 47 the above problem still remained.

However I was messing about the menu/trip computer controls on the indicator stalk and noticed there were 3 different setting for the steering-smooth-standard-sport. I changed the setting from standard to sport and to be honest I didn't notice much difference with the steering, but the engine seems much smoother.

Its only a guess because I'm no mechanic but, could the power steering be affecting the engine based upon these steering settings?

2007 1.8TDCI lack of power on pulling away - Fordean

I have a 2008 1.8 TDCi with the same problem.

It went back under warranty twice for this problem, this first time they uploaded a new verion of the software to the magagement system and it slightly improved. The second time they updated again and now it is amazing, no lag, no problems at all.

I can pull away in 1st now with no extra revs !!!!

Totally different car to drive, what it should have been from day one.

2007 1.8TDCI lack of power on pulling away - JMcD
Yes, my 2008 TDCI is the same. Here's a question though. Does yours accelerate slightly when you let off the clutch slightly. In mine if you let off the chutch till it's just biting and the engine rev is reducing, it will automatically increase the rev without me touching the pedal. Maybe this is to try to reduce the risk of stalling. I don't find pulling away in 1st too bad, but definitely very possible in 2nd.
Just for the record, when I asked in Ford, the timing belt only needs to be replaced every 125,000 miles or 200,000 km. Lots of difference of opinion but that is what they said and the ETIS report which they gave me confirmed this.
J
2007 1.8TDCI lack of power on pulling away - kj76

hello can i ask how long was your car away > mine has a similar issue

very bad for stalling when pulling away i have to give it around 1400 rpm so it doesnt stall surely this is a massive amonut of revs to pull away on.

2007 1.8TDCI lack of power on pulling away - BenG

I recently traded in my Mk 1 (2003) Focus 1.8TDCi. As someone has already pointed out, the stalling is deliberate if engine speed drops too low, to protect the DMF. The car was also fitted with a very low first gear, aparently to facilitate pulling away without stalling. The clutch was quite sudden, too, which didn't help, but I've not driven a later model 1.8 TDCi.

The car still needed some revs to pull away, though, and surely 1400rpm is not an excessive engine speed to use in order to pull away cleanly? Bear in mind that turbodiesels tend to have lower compression ratios that naturally-aspirated diesels and so will develop less torque at very low revs, before the turbo starts to boost, and are thus easier to stall.

The remap I had was certainly worthwhile, though, as it enabled the turbo to kick in more responsively on part-throttle, making the car feel much livelier to drive, as well as having more ultimate power. Economy improved by 2-3mpg at the same time. I was informed that the fairly basic ECU used on the 1.8 motor meant that the remap was not detectable, even by Ford dealerships, though I'm not sure if that holds for the later models. The remapping company told me they were actually remapping new Fords in dealerships, as customers had complained about the power delivery of later model diesels, which had been 'adjusted' for emissions reasons...