1999 1.8i Mk1 Central locking problems - mikej
Hi folks - I've got a central locking issue with my Mk1 (1999) 1.8i Focus Zetec - here are the symptoms :

Remote locking/deadlocking - locks all doors except driver's door, then all automatically unlock immediately.

Remote unlocking (all doors locked) - unlocks all doors except driver's door.

Manual locking and unlocking (driver's side) - locks and unlocks all doors as normal.

Manual deadlocking (driver's side) locks all doors, however driver's door can be opened from inside and unlocks all others (this shouldn't be possible)

Manual locking (passenger side) - locks all doors except driver's door, then all automatically unlock immediately.

Manual unlocking (passenger side) - unlocks all doors except driver's door.

Any thoughts ?

Basically - anything done manually via a key in the driver's door seems to make things work as normal, whereas anything done remotely or via the passenger door does not seem to have an effect on the driver's door lock, so does this point towards the driver's door lock itself as the problem ?

Or is it something to do with the central locking in the driver's door that's not operating the driver's door lock as a result of operating the passenger door or remote ?

I've sprayed a little WD40 into the driver's lock and worked it but that hasn't helped.
Would taking the door trim off and lubricating the lock and mechanism thoroughly help or does it need replacing ?

NB. A guy from the Ford garage commented a while back that he thought it might be something to do with the passenger door, but he didn't do as much testing as I've done above and I can't see how that would explain all my observations either. Thought it was worth mentioning though.

Any comments appreciated.
1999 1.8i Mk1 Central locking problems - elekie&a/c doctor
sounds like a fault with the drivers latch/solenoid unit.Comes as a complete unit and costs around £70 .hth
1999 1.8i Mk1 Central locking problems - paul19
had similar problem on wifes 2000 focus, completly saturated the lock mechanism, through the keyhole, locking mechanism and handle mechanism with wd40, kept opening and closing the mechanism and started working again. still working 6 mths later
1999 1.8i Mk1 Central locking problems - Martin1981
My 2001 Focus 1.8TDCi has just developed exactly the same symptoms as Mike J describes.

I have some WD40 lying around so I will give that a try like Paul19 did and hope it does the trick.

Martin
1999 1.8i Mk1 Central locking problems - Dynamic Dave
The trouble with using WD40 is that it will wash the manufacturers grease out of the lock. Once you've got the lock freed up it's best to spray some grease into the lock. Take note of Cyd's suggestion in the following thread:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=8483

Also read this thread:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19068

1999 1.8i Mk1 Central locking problems - salf
I had the exact same problem,but not all the time. Really intermittent and would change from not working to working after a short drive and vice versa. I tired the WD40 and that cured it for a few weeks.