2.5 V6 Auto - Auto cooling system? - Turtle1966
Me again! Mondeo cooling systems, why do they drive me mad?!

My 2.5 V6 Auto is not overheating at the moment! Yay!

However, when in traffic recently (a long jam!), there was a puff of steam (and a spurt of hot water) from the front of the bonnet, as the engine temp had warmed to the middle of the temp gauge and the fans had cut in.

I first thought it would be the rad or a hose, but since topping up the water (just over 1 litre, the entire system takes nearly 9 litres!) it hasn't happened again - until this morning! (although just a puff of steam, no hot water spurting over the bonnet!)

I have been trying to get it to repeat, by idling it on the drive after getting home from work. Nothing.

This morning, I was not in traffic, but had just come back to the car after having parked it for about 20 mins! The engine was hot, but not overheating.

Does anyone have any ideas what it may be?

It seems like what I would call a "pressure release valve", but does the Mondeo have this?

Does the Auto gearbox have a seperate cooling rad to the engine? Could it be when the auto gearbox is hot and requires cooling?

The water marks inside the engine bay are all at the front right side, clearly some splashing from the front has gone across the side of the battery, the water pump drive belt and other items in that area.

The marks make it look like it has come from very low down and has blown up into thr bay. There is a small rad in behind the front of the lower bumper, in front of the main rad.

Any thoughts would be very welcome!

The coolant level is still fine.
2.5 V6 Auto - Auto cooling system? - kithmo
There is a pressure relief valve built in to the Filler cap, it could just be weak, try a new cap. Another common Mondeo V6 problem is the water pump plastic impeller breaking up.