1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - SteveGrove
Has anyone else encountered the same problems as myself with this engine?
The car was purchased in Oct.2007,as an ex-company car with a good service history,it being only just three years old,with a mileage of 91K.
Within a couple of weeks the intercooler had to be replaced ( under the sellers warranty),as it had a hole appear in it,after which the car ran well until 3 weeks ago when it had to be rescued with a suspected cam-belt failure.
A first-class local repairer investigated and found that although the cam belt had snapped,this was as a result of the vacuum pump drive gear breaking up,the debris causing the camshaft to jam,which then overloaded the belt.
The resulting mechanical disaster has cost over £1500 to rectify.
I was told that my engine is an Italian-built example,and that 3 different companies manufacture this engine type,any of which could appear in your Vauxhall.
I strongly suspect that the metallurgical integrity of many components in my engine,and possibly that of many others of a similar pedigree,is extremely dubious.
The drive gear is the type of component that one might reasonably expect to remain sound even as the car is sent to the crusher after many,many years of service.
Any thoughts as to GM`s level of responsibility on this one? This car is now only just three and a half years old and vital components (non-service items) are literally falling apart or going into holes !!!!
Any input welcome, Steve Grove.
1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - bimmer-driver
While I understand its gutting to have to spend £1500 on a relatively newish car, didn't you think there might be a chance of something like this happening if its covered atleast 91k miles?
1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - oldnotbold
ID - I don't agree - 100k is no distance for this type of engine, so long as it's had sensible servicing.
1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - Pugugly
Good Service History ? Was it the right spec of oil ?, Had it been dipped in between changes ? So much can happen to a car that may be airbrushed out of its history.
1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - tr7v8
The same engine was used by Fiat & Alfa (it's a joint GM Fiat venture) for a long time before Vauxhall decided to use it. Cambelt failures on the 1.9 & the 2.4 in Fias & Alfas, including Iveco vans are very rare, generally issues are with the German built peripherals around it, diesel pumps, MAF sensors etc. And this issue has effected everyone else. The basic engine is proving to be fairly bulletproof.
Sounds like a one off to me, although I'd investigate as to whether the cam belt had been changed at that mileage. On an Alfa it's 72K I think Vauxhall decided it will be 60K.
This is one reason why CR diesels aren't the wonderful device everyone thinks.
Intercooler failure incidentally is normally because of stone damage, hardly Vauxhalls fault.

Edited by tr7v8 on 15/03/2008 at 10:58

1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - pd
These engines are known for the water pump jamming which snaps the cambelt. I've come across a Saab 93 on which this had happened at 34k miles.

(In fact - I've just looked and this is mentioned in HJ's car guide).

There are a *lot* of these engines around, however, so some problems are bound to show up and for the number of units around there do not seem to be an exceptionally high number of complaints.
1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - TheOilBurner
The only problem I had with one in 50k miles was the swirl valve actuator failed, resulting in a new inlet manifold and (happily) a new cam belt was required too.

That was at about 30k miles.

Other than that, my 1.9 CDTI 150 run brilliantly.

Didn't go that high on mileage though...
1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - woodleymike
I have a 2004 Vectra Estate with the same engine. At 50,000 miles the water pump siezed causing the timing belt to shred. Result......new engine (£4300) required.

Vauxhall Customer Care do not want to know and refuse to make a financial contribution towards the costs. The Vauxhall dealer is also not overkeen to help either.

I have therefore decided to take the dealer to the Small Claims Court on the basis that the car, when sold, was not fit for purpose (as I should not need a new engine after 50K miles)

Has anyone else had a similar problem with this engine? (I understand that it is made my Alfa Romeo and is also fitted in some SAABs and Fiats)
1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - PR {P}
The engine is made by Fiat Power Trains and supplied to Alfa amongst others. Interestingly, the cam belt interval on the GFs new Bravo is 90k miles (by the way it is the same 1.9 engine).
1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - akr
I've got the 150 engine in my Saab 93. The "tensioner wheel" (I think that's what the dealer said was making a noise) began to give up the ghost at 48000 miles. It's all related to the water pump and cambelt assembly so I had them change both for a fairly reasonable £300. I would have had it done at the 54000 mile service anyway (this coincides with its 4th birthday next month) so I didn't have a problem with it. This is the only thing in 53000 miles (and I class it as maintenance anyway) so I reckon that's pretty good. It's going great guns now.
Incidentally the guy at the Saab dealer who did this work said he'd never come across a cam belt failure on this engine yet.
1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - cambridgeone
Don't know if you are still following this thread, but I have just joined just to say thanks to everyone contributing. I had a problem on my Vectra 150 CDTi which started with a fluctation in engine temperature. Hot going uphill. The longer the hill the hotter it got. It went into the red going uphill south from Inverness on the A9 (for those that don't know this is probably one of the longest climbs on a UK road). It cooled down afterwards. Around town is was barely noticeable. It has only done 30k. I took it to the dealer who plugged it in, did a quick road test and said there was nothing wrong. I took it on the motorway and it got hot again uphill. I took it back to the dealer - plugged it in again - gave it a longer road test. Said that cars get hot from time to time - nothing wrong. By this time I had noticed the heater wasn't working. Mechanic said that maybe the thermostatt was starting to go, but couldn't do anything til it broke properly. Then I found this discussion and a failing water pump fitted the bill. But the outcome was going to be pretty scary! I took it to an alternative Vauxhall dealer and told them what I thought it was. They were sceptical and said the faults may not be connected, and that the flaps in the heater may not be working (they had done a few). They did at least accept there was a coolant problem. A week later they had fixed the car - guess what - the water pump was failing. They had changed the thermostat first but that didn't help. Car is now going great. The heater didn't need flaps it, wasn't getting any hot water into it! Complained to the dealership and Vauxhall. Pointed them in the direction of this forum. I got the money back for the dealer's useless diagnostics. Vauxhall didn't say very much - just that the dealer had sorted out the problem. No doubt in my mind that some of these pumps are crap and they know it!!
1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - fatbadger

Hi woodleymike

Resurrecting an old discussion I know, but did you ever get anywhere with Vauxhall with regards to costs ?

I've just had exactly the same problem happen to me, and the more ammunition I can get, the better !

Many thanks....

1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - padreciccio

Hi mike. how did it go with the small case in court? i got the same problems as yourself and considering taking them in court too asap. thanks carlo

1.9CDTI Engine Build Quality - padreciccio

(Duplicate post)

(Edit: We haven't seen Mike for four years, so I suspect we'll never know.)

Edited by Avant on 30/05/2014 at 16:28