04 2.5 diesel accelerator failiure - Connell
Sept 07 the engine of my Sorento 2.5 CRDi XS revved to 400rpm with no acceleration.
New accelerator unit fitted by dealer at £170. December 24th 2007 same problem.
High diagnostic check performed by dealer. No fault found but they reset the multi-function light. Feb 7th 2008 same fault and this one nearly caused a major accident.
Dealer could find no fault, multi function light re-set and returned to me. March 6th 2008 same fault. The car is over 4 years old, has less than 40k on the clock, has been serviced at proper intervals ( two new fuel filters have been fitted by the dealer - just in case!). The Manufacturers Customer Services won't speak/respond to me ( am told to phone the dealer). Any similar situations been experienced. Any suggestions I can make to the dealer about finding/fixing the problem.

Tweak to subject line to include the oft requested detail. "What are they ?"is the question you may be asking, dear reader. Well as it happens engine and year ask quite a difference to
how things work from here on. "how do we know we need to put that detail in ?" you may ask - 'cos you're asked three times before posting that's how !

Edited by Pugugly on 13/03/2008 at 22:51

Accelerator Failure - carl_a
Visit another dealer and once fixed get a refund of £170 from first dealer.
Accelerator Failure - Connell
Yes, tried this, but the problem has re-occurred twice since then.
They know there's a problem but "the computer says no."
Am on my 2nd dealer! The previous one got the heave because they twice failed
to service the car in a day. The 2nd time it hadn't even been started when I went
to pick it up.

Thanks for the thought though.

Connell
Accelerator Failure - Connell
I failed to report that the car is a "53" plate XS model, the then top of the range, bought new in December 2003. I am the one and only owner.
The actual mileage is 37790 and it's covered less than 4K since the first instance
of the problem and less than 300 miles since it was last at the dealers.
In between times it had a 4 year service in December. Wrote to Kia H.O.
on the 6th march - the Tech Director, Customer Services Director, the M.D.,
(all by registered mail) and the Dealer. Not one response from anybody
Kia may offer some decent warranties but after that forget it. The cars scrap.
Where do I go from here?

Connell
Accelerator Failure - Screwloose
Connell

Just to clarify a few points. I presume that you mean 4,000 revs? Have you ever noticed any smoke from the exhaust when it runs away?

When you mention that they reset the "multi-function" light; do you mean the engine malfunction light? Did it come on when it ran-away?

Are the dealers saying that, although the light was on, there were no codes accessible? To re-set the light, you simply erase any codes stored; so how did they explain that?

04 2.5 diesel accelerator failiure - injection doc
Do you use the heater in the car on a high temp or Air con on very cold? I have come across a problem now with some vehicles with electric throttles, overheating because the throttle pedal sensor is near a heater outlet under the dash & the plastic sensor expands & sends the revs sky high. there will never be any fault codes with this fault.I noticed the faults were reported during a very cold spell at Xmas when you may of had heating going full on. May be worth a try fitting a shield around the sensor to defklect the heat. This I suspect is the fault. Quite common now on several make of cars & I belive will become a saftey issue soon!
Doc