What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - seataltea
Jeremy Clarkson has become the subject of trial by media as a result of some poor quality photographs indicating he was using a mobile whilst driving.

For those in the UK interested in such minor traffic offences........

I deeply regret that whilst travelling both too and from work today I exceeded the speed limit, I flashed by headlamps at some silly woman who cut me up (Highway Code breach not an RT offence) and I may have nipped through some traffic lights just as they turned red.

Such things have happened to me most every day of my driving for the past 20+ yrs , I know I am not alone.

So what have you done which may create a media stir, if it's death by dangerous you may wish to consider your post.

Edited by seataltea on 13/03/2008 at 22:29

What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - FotheringtonThomas
I may have nipped through some traffic lights just as they turned red.

You deserve what you get, then. I hope you don't cause anyone else to suffer.
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Lud
Quite right FT.

He should have done it several seconds into the red like you or me. Damn hypocrite, trying to sound virtuous.

Why don't people let it all hang out like us FT? Eh? Eh?

It's all right. I'd rather you didn't answer actually. You are sure to admit a heinous and despicable criminal offence if you do. Least said soonest mended, eh? Shtum.
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Cliff Pope
One screen washer jet partly blocked, causing poor spray coverage of windscreen.

Shook head slowly at tailgater with lights on full beam (=road rage).

Cut straight across absurdly tight deserted mini-roundabout instead of doing 3-point turn.

Drove with one hand on the wheel some of the time.

Manoeuvred using heel of one hand.

Ignored direction arrows in deserted retail car park.

Coasted up to temporary traffic lights.

Drove on wrong side of the road (empty) to avoid speed bump.

Failed to contribute to government coffers by obeying all speed limits.
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - rogue-trooper
CP - I think thta you should turn youself in!

Me, I am not too bad. Drove in London without a seat belt (which I often do as I don't think a crash at London speeds is going to shove me thru the windscreen). 3pts?

One of my tyres needs changing (which I presume means that the car would fail its MOT if taken today and therefore would invalidate my insurance!) 6pts?

Windscreen wash run out (or sometimes seems to have run out) 3pts?

Didn't use my indicators pulling out from where I was parked on side of road, nor at about 4 other junctions (as there were no cars).

Driving with one hand on the wheel

Picked my nose and most likely ate my bogey (so eating at the wheel/not being in control of the car at all times)
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Dynamic Dave
Didn't use my indicators pulling out from where I was parked on side of road
nor at about 4 other junctions (as there were no cars).

I didn't think that was an offence though. A friend took an advanced driving course a few years ago and one of the things the instructor was looking for was to notice whether you were indicating or not when no one was around. Reason being as no one is around who is going to see you indicate and thus it showed you were aware of what/who was around you.
I understand what you are on about but surely the advanced driver would notice that there was no one there, indiate out of habit, and indicate in case of the unexpected.
but surely the advanced driver would notice that there was no one there indiate out of habit

No. That is the whole point of not indicating out of habit as you've taken note of your surroundings beforehand - ie, the instructor would see it as you being observant rather than habitual.

There is an old thread on here somewhere which also mentions this.
There is an old thread on here somewhere which also mentions this.

Although this is now straying away from this topic of this thread, I have found a couple of previous discussions on the subject.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=48...9
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36209

I agree with rogue-trooper.

Remembering not to signal when there's no one (no one obvious anyway) to see the signal is a complete waste of effort, an unnecessary distraction from the job in hand. You have trained yourself to signal, and should just leave it at that, instead of showing how very observant you are by not signalling when you can't see anyone. What's the damn point anyway? There's no one there to admire you for it.

Perhaps the puritanical and sadistic psychological bent of advanced driving instructors demands that you do this when being assessed, but you should return to automatic signalling immediately the test or observed run is over. Anything else is asking for trouble.

For example, what about that invisible pushbike coming towards you in the dark?
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - mustangman
Well yesterday I recieved the NIC from our local friendly safety camera partnership.
I have committed the crime of doing 36 in a 30 limit, for the second time in about 4 months. In both cases on a normal suburban road, going downhill. One location was fairly shortly after the change from 40 to 30.
Now I don't dispute that I am guilty of these offences. I am clearly a menace to society and must be punished.
But in both cases it was via the increasingly popular mobile van that I was detected by, even though I know the road and where they habitually park.
My point is that it was just so easy for the "partnership" to set up here and coin it in. Both sites are on pretty straight roads. I suppose there is some record of accidents that may be relevant, but I think it's just a "cash cow".
Now in reality, how many of you never break the 30 limit?
I now predict that I will shortly end up in the back of a bus, since I now drive looking out for vans, signs, limits, cameras on bridges, following police cars etc. all while keeping my attention on the speedo.
There I feel much better now!
slightly off topic, but if these parternship vans cut the crap about being for safety and admitted it was or raising fines and got rid of the points and just took your cash, then it might work better.
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Garethj
Well I'm clearly whiter than white here - think it was only speeding for me this morning. Oh, and passing on the left on the motorway, but to be honest I thought it safer to zip past and be gone than be in a long queue of irate vehicles all tailgating each other.

I'm going to hell and I think I'll see you all there.
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Big Bad Dave
Speeding and undertaking a ditherer. Same as Gareth really. There is a particular light that I would normally go through on red but there was a car in front of me that stopped so I couldn't today.
There is little doubt that most everyone who drives in the UK commits an offence each time they get behind the wheel of a car on most journeys.

Should we all hand ourselves in ?

In fact rather than petition online for sensible amendments to the placing of speed cameras, enforcement vans, 80mph motorways limits etc......... if 1000 people turned up at say Woodhall Spa Police Box during surgery hours asking to be dealt with for travelling at 32 in a 30 on the approach into the town the point would be made in a much more visual way.

The power of the people can be great when properly coordinated.
What a brilliant idea seataltea.

A friend had the idea, during the Wilson government, of a demo consisting of a large number of silent people standing in Downing St wearing LBJ masks.

Worst thing about most demos is the vulgar yelling and dumb placards.

Edited by Lud on 14/03/2008 at 11:04

What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Snakey
I took one hand off the steering wheel for several seconds whilst I sneezed a few times.

Does that count yet?
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - paulb {P}
Offences today... hmmm, let me think:

1) 80ish in a 70. Tyburn jig for me, no doubt.
2) Adjusted stereo volume using nice button thingy next to the indicator switch. Music then probably too loud.
3) What one or two other people said about using one hand on wheel at points where I considered it appropriate to do so.
4) Knowingly operating a diesel-engined Ford Mondeo producing only 159g/km, thereby failing to contribute my motoring Danegeld to the desired extent.
5) Muttered at stupid persons driving T-reg Micra and Golf TDI who applied the "my indicator is a shield of steel, protecting me from all harm" approach to lane changes.
6) Owning the car in the first place, according to some.
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Volcano
I'm driving without an MOT.

It passed on all the 'safe' stuff (brakes etc), but failed on leaky exhaust, emissions (may be the same thing?), handbrake (even though it holds the car on inclines that our other recently MOTd car rolls back on) and 2 of my 4 front parking lights.

I took it to a nearby garage for convenience but have booked it in next week to my favourite, less pedantic garage that I should have gone to in the first place.
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - DP
60 in a 50

85 in a 70

That's all I'm aware of.

Cheers
DP
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - John F
went through red lights
overtook many vehicles on the inside
proceeded briefly along a pavement

JF [utility cyclist]
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Westpig
every single last one of us does, without exception.....and for the pious brigade spluttering into their green tea..... how about:

- 31mph in a 30mph limit... or...
- failing to get into the correct lane EVERY time (driving without reasonable consideration
for other road users)
- middle lane owners club (as above)
- fiddling with the radio and not noticing a pedestrian (driving without due care)
- yapping in the car to the extent you're not concentrating properly (as above)

etc,etc
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - FotheringtonThomas
Is going through a traffic light on red acceptable, do you think?
"Is going through a traffic light on red acceptable, do you think?"

Totally depends on the light. The one I regularly go through serves no rational purpose whatsoever other than to give priority to the cycle lane now and again.
Is going through a traffic light on red acceptable do you think?

Only when the light shouldn't be there or should be turned off (e.g. in a place where there are wide views of the junction and its approaches, and no or practically no traffic, like a suburban crossroads at 4a.m.).

Otherwise of course it isn't FT. But we all know that you in particular probably do it all the time.

:o}
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Pugugly
"But we all know that you in particular probably do it all the time."

Lud - How do we all know that ? I certainly don't !

I'm doing my best to tease FT in a kind sort of way.

Of course it's possible he really does drive through red lights all the time and only seems to be a quite law-abiding person. If that is the case I have miscalculated and may have to apologise to him. One doesn't want to be a tattletale or whistle blower unless the offences are very grave.
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - normd2
straw poll around the office:

speeding 5
using mobile 3
driving one handed 5
eating 2
lane hogging 2
excessive acceleration 1
loud annoying music 1

me? - none at all I'm a perfect driver of course... :)
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Round The Bend
OK I admit to parking in the parent and child space (under fives only) at Tesco's this morning with an 8 year old.

Had I been Clarkson, no doubt I would have been portrayed as a baby eating monster ........ but then I don't make a living from ranting about the perceived failings of other people.

Edited by Round The Bend on 14/03/2008 at 17:19

What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - nortones2
A guy who found a fairy-godmother as the judge on the day of the trial: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/72968...m

88 in a 30 on one occasion, and apparently caught on 65 occasions on one camera. Misled the licensing authorities re ownership. Still has a licence.
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - gordonbennet
I imagine that,

Speeding a lot, not wearing seatbelt, using phone with headphones, straightening roundabouts when safe, unloading partly over unused footpath and having a coffee with the charming receptionist, can't think of any more at the mo, but i havent driven my car today so ask again next week. Driving one handed? Is there another way?

Don't worry i'll wear my hair shirt all weekend and say umpteen penances.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/03/2008 at 19:23

What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Robin Reliant
Lit a cigarette, and disposed of the dog-end out of the window afterwards.

"Made Progress".

Parked on a double yellow.

Engaged in a vicious display of verbal road rage at the radio during the Jeremy Vine Show, and thumped the button to turn it off.

Edited by Robin Reliant on 14/03/2008 at 19:32

What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Alby Back
Averaged over 300 miles per day this week. Have of course driven legally, courteously and otherwise without motoring sin at all times. Also ate "five a day", didn't smoke in or out of the car, took appropriate two hourly rest breaks and didn't ogle any women.
Strange growing pains in nasal regions remain inexplicable.
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Hamsafar
Yes, the laws are made and enforced for the wrong reasons these days,
every day I stick to the old pre-new Labour speed limits, so 70mph on the Ring Road instead of 40 - 50. I undertake the bloody-minded Labour supporters who move straight over to the outside lane to form a rolling road block. I go through red delay-gates on every journey ever since they introduced the phantom phases and crimson cascades "to punish the motorist" and "made to wait and look at the tram system to engender a sense of guilt". I also drive in the bus-lane when it is outside it's hours of operation, if 99% of people think this is a crime, is it, after all, social rules are supposed to be the foundation of legal rule!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/03/2008 at 21:48

What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - davmal
>>every single last one of us does, without exception.....and for the pious brigade spluttering into their green tea.....

Wrong. Not a single motoring offence committed today.
Car in for a service is it?
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - davmal
Damn, well spotted.
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Bromptonaut
Same as John F.

Pavement riding is normally a red line issue for me but today I left the car at MK rather than Northampton and there's a 150 metre shortcut where cycling is not permitted. While ignoring the restriction I carefully avoided passing within 6 feet of two pedestrians.

Also exceeded 70mph on the A5 MK bypass and 60 on the section further north.
Late this evening, coming along north of Regent's Park and past Lord's, yuck St John's Wood, worst driving of fat expensive motors in London and that's saying something, not at its best either... ended up following an immense fat black Mercedes Range Rover thing with a towbar, waddling hesitantly along at an average of 12 mph it felt like, impossible to pass of course in a place like Hamilton Terrace.

We approached a green light. The screaming carphound went slower and slower and actually had the damn - I don't have a word for it - to stop while the light was still green! Despite the thing's best effort to block the whole carriageway, it was just possible to slip by on the inside accelerating hard in second and take the left, which I wanted to do. By the time I was through the light it was red, and even I believe that what I did had a small element of risk to it (I could tell you some stories make your hair stand on end).

Call me a slob, call me a psychopath: I know I'm not. I don't even feel very ashamed, not as far as you are concerned anyway. It's a private matter.

Oh, I forgot. I've been through Shepherd's Bush today so my technical offence count may well be approaching double digits. Pretty restrained and competent by local standards though.

Of course my shameless parking on a double yellow in a narrow street was officially sanctioned. Not bad, the Royal Borough, in some ways.

Edited by Lud on 14/03/2008 at 22:45

Got to add a couple of new ones to the lists.

Parked on a single yellow then left the engine running whilst I got out and posted a letter, took
all of ten seconds but I commited 'Quitting'.

I suggest we move this thread onto some of the rare, cruel and unusual stuff.

Taxi drivers.....no food for the horse....

Dangling legs to the offside of a horse and cart....
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Nsar
Laws broken - plenty
Risks to others and self - none I can recall, but who can say for sure?

What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Screwloose
Bless me comrades; for I have sinned too....

Exceeding a 30 limit - 7 counts.
Answering the phone whilst driving - 1 count.
Parking in a disabled bay without displaying a blue badge - 2 counts.
Driving with defective eyesight; [forgetting the glasses] - 1 count.
Driving a vehicle without a valid MOT [exp. last Oct] - 1 count.

And that was just nipping 2 miles down to the chippy and Co-op this evening. I make Jack the Ripper look like a saint sometimes.

Edited by Screwloose on 15/03/2008 at 00:38

What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - zookeeper
i went right by a keep left sign because a van had parked at the left side blocking my way....fair cop guv
What Motoring Offence Have You Committed Today? - Brian Tryzers
Yep, did something like that near Heathrow yesterday. Was passing a stationary (and left-signalling, at a bus stop) bus, which abruptly moved off as I was fully alongside, thus filling the gap that I'd been aiming to use between it and a small traffic island. Rather than perform a sudden stop on the wrong side of the road, I accelerated round the island, passing to the right of the keep left arrow.

Driving in the western fringes of London - as I do rather a lot now that I work in a London borough that appears to consist mainly of broken glass and discarded fag packets - is a peculiar experience. In particular, every time I go through an amber light and think I cut that one a bit close, I look in the mirror and see that the two cars behind me have come through as well.
There's a roundabout on my way home at which turning right from the left-hand lane appears to be some kind of local custom. I saw someone go right round the outside of a fully-marked police car the other day without any reaction from the officers inside. Perhaps whoever it was had received the freedom of the city of Uxbridge, who knows?

Edited by WillDeBeest on 15/03/2008 at 22:35