96 1.9dt Strange starting problem - jamin
I have recently purchased a 306 dt and it has a starting problem, not your usual glow plugs or compression problems either!

When you try to start the car you put the key in, enter code, wait for the glow and turn the key ~ she starts and you can turn her off and on as may times as you like. It will run like a dream, pull like a little train until.....
the next time you start the car it wont for however long it decides!

this problem can be when its hot, cold, been 1 day or 1 minute since it was last started, it simply doesnt matter, the engine just turns over and over and over, until the battery is flat, or it finally decides to start!

I have checked the injectors and when it wont start they are getting zero fuel, not a drop. i have listened for the stop actuator and i can hear and feel it click when power is sent to it (although I cant hear it return when power is turned off). I have checked the main connectors to the engine loom and it is ok.

so any ideas?? I have a few....

is there anything in the pump that could cut fuel apart from the stop solenoid? could the stop solenoid be faulty and even though it appears to be working it isnt? could the pump be knackered and only work when it wants?

Edited by jamin on 12/03/2008 at 21:32

96 1.9dt Strange starting problem - thomp1983
have you double checked al the fuel lines for air leaks, you'll need to check carefully as they don't leak diesel when split but instead suck air in. id especially check the injector leak off pipes as i had this exact problem on an audi a4. you'll probably find that if when it occurs you were to jump the car and continuely turn it over it would eventually bleed itself and start but the problem will return soon enough

chris
I will have another look tonight, could be a air leak into the system. Thanks.
96 1.9dt Strange starting problem - smokescreen
I had a similar problem on the same model of car. In my case, it was an air leak from the fuel pump grenade, so i'd get looking for leaks as a priority.
96 1.9dt Strange starting problem - normd2
just a thought - if your car has the keypad (i note you say 'enter code' ) it could be an intermittent wiring problem (especially if it is the flip down type) - you could try next time the engine is running disconnecting the connector at the back of the keypad and see if the problem goes away. If so the wiring will need inspected/repaired - nb the engine MUST be running when you remove it and note the code on the back of the unit in case you ever decide to put it back on in the future.
Had a go at fixing it last night and there is a inertia switch and a relay behind the battery and when it wont start they are not getting power, which is the problem. I think it could be as you stated and the keypad is faulty, I will try removing it tonight, thanks.

Quick question tho....what are the implications if the battery goes flat? Will it remember it doesnt need a code?

Cheers