AA warranty help please! - sarahorman
Hi, i dont know if you can help but someone suggested you may be able to. I have an AA car warranty on a second hand car (its a Mondeo) i brought from a sales court last year. Yesterday the spring on the drivers side went. I took it to the correct AA garage and they confirmed it was the driver side spring that required replacing. They explained that they need to also replace the passenger side spring. As asked i rang the warranty team before agreeing to work. They are willing to pay for one spring but i will have to pay for the other (parts and labour). I feel this is unfair as due to one spring going the car would be unsafe until both are fixed. They said the only way around it is if i sign to say i will not have the passenger side done and therefore i save the money!

Help! Thank you, Sarah

Edited by Pugugly on 12/03/2008 at 16:51

AA warranty help please! - Blue {P}
I could be wrong, but I don't think that coil springs have to be replaced in pairs, I've had them done one at a time before and not noticed a problem.

AA warranty help please! - Galaxy
The offside front spring broke on my Mondeo a couple of years ago. When I spoke to my garage about doing the job, I asked what were we talking about here, a pair of front springs? No, was their reply, it's only necessary to change the broken one. This advice was 100% correct, the broken one was duly changed and, touch wood, I've had no further spring problems since, and this happened just over two years ago.

There were no odd effects after the OSF spring was changed like pulling to one side or anything like that, and I've since read on postings here that it's only necessary to change the spring that's broken, not both of them.

So, I don't think you'll have very much success trying to get both front springs changed under the warranty, I'm sorry to say, but really, from my own experiences, it's quite unecessary. Of course, should you wish still to have both springs changed and are happy to pay yourself for the unbroken one to be replaced, as they say, the choice is yours!

AA warranty help please! - yorkiebar
Its quite legal to have just the broken spring changed.

Its better practice to change both though, so a matched pair of equal age (and wear) are fitted.

Turn this on its head maybe, and ask the warranty/repairing garage to sign a sheet stating they are fully confident in the repair, so that they will be responsible for any eventuality if the spring (either 1) causes any problems?