Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - Tron
My local (well, I don't shop there!) Morrisons has done it again - increased all of their prices on all fuel types at the pump.

This means everyone else will now follow and increase theirs.

BP. Shell etc are currently cheaper to fill up at - well, they won't be this time tomorrow will they?

LPG has increased by 4p whilst everything thing else has gone up by 2p per litre.

How can they justify this? Is this a Government price increase or corporate greed?

On top of that, the free air and water (yes, water) has been replaced by a machine that you now have to pay 20p to use - unless your purchase of fuel is over £15

The car wash is now £2.50 for the basic wash.

Just totally pink fluffy dices me off!

Rant over!

Edited by Pugugly on 06/03/2008 at 19:19

Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - Harleyman
So naturally you and everyone else who's pink fluffy diced off will never shop there again? ;-)
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - bathtub tom
Isn't there a fuel duty increase due on either the first of March or April?
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - madf
Don;t blame the Gov't. Not their fault.
Crude oil prices have risen from $90ish to over $100 per barrel - 10% and today are at an all time record high $105.

I expect we may see $120.
It's all to do with demand and the falling US $.

I expect we'll see 1 litre of fuel at £1.25.

I keep going on about oil prices and the resulting impact... I know it's boring. (and I have bored for Britain for 4 years on it)... but I expect in 5 years we'll see $150 plus..

Anyone with cars doing under 35mpg had better have low miles, lots of money or a generous employer.

Edited by madf on 06/03/2008 at 20:11

Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - midlifecrisis
I might be missing something in the economics, but if we've had $2 to the pound recently, surely we're actually getting it cheaper. (Combined with the hundreds of millions Gordo is getting in windfall from the high oil price), there's no justification for the increase. Particularly with regard to the impending 2p/litre tax increase.

As for Morrisons, they always seem to be first to bang the price up.
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - Red Baron
No, I'm afraid that it works the other way around.

The US dollar is weak against a number of currencies. Oil is traded in dollars.

A double-whammy with the result that the price of crude increases even faster.
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - PhilW
"Don;t blame the Gov't. Not their fault."

How much does gov make on duty on a litre? How much does oil company make? How much does petrol station make? Who makes the most from each litre sold? And don't forget to add VAT to your answer!

Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - craig-pd130
Well, we can blame the Govt. a bit :-D

if they weren't so intent on taxing the hapless motorist to death then fuel would still be well under a quid a litre.

The level of fuel duty is scandalous at well over 50%, and having to pay VAT on top is an additional insult.
I should have said "Don't blame the Government ... yet"

The extra 2p per litre duty starts on 1st April I believe.

At least my Shell Points have now come up with some cash so I can afford the next tankful:-)

Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - boxsterboy
At least my Shell Points have now come up with some cash so I can
afford the next tankful:-)

Me too. £16 voucher. Plus I got an £100 rebate on my Shell credit card!
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - paulb {P}
I expect we'll see 1 litre of fuel at £1.25.

Given that I paid 119.9p/l at lunchtime at a BP near my office (admittedly Ultimate Diesel, although the regular stuff was 114), that day is not far off.

They do not need the extra 2p - the increased VAT on the higher price has given them the money already.

I am thoroughly bored of these prices, and of this crapulent Government that appears neither to know nor care that higher fuel prices make every single thing in the shops more expensive, because they increase distribution costs.

And my car averages 45-47 mpg. I don't care to think how much the 2.0 petrol version would cost me in fuel every week.

The thing that really bugs me is that it is STILL more expensive (and difficult - thanks, Southern Railway) to go to work by train, to which method of transport I would convert like a shot if that wasn't the case.
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - MikeTorque
As already mentioned the price of crude oil has set a new record in New York, climbing to $105.1 a barrel as the US dollar declined in value and amid concerns about supply.

The price of oil is rising faster than the dollar is weakening which is resulting in the UK having to pay ever increasing prices for oil and hence it's petrol & diesel. Due to the delay of the spot price of oil being reflected in the price we pay at the pumps we can expect further price rises to come through to the pumps in the days ahead, in the meantime the world oil price looks likely to continue to rise. This is and will continue to put a strain on our economy as prices are passed on to the consumer, which in turn absorbs their spending capacity and thus acts as a brake to the economy in general and all that that entails.

The difference between petrol & diesel cars will increasingly favour diesel cars the higher the oil price goes due to the fuel efficiency advantage that diesel cars enjoy. Alas the bottom line is we will all pay more unless we reduce the amount of travel we do or drive more economically or find ways of traveling that reduce the cost burden of higher fuel prices (e.g. car sharing, bus, train, smaller car, etc.)
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - David Horn
BBC News were bandying around £1.50/litre for diesel by the end of the year at lunchtime. Wouldn't surprise me at all. The fuel companies are devious sods, they'll stick fuel up by 2p a litre just before the duty rise is due, then afterwards they'll crank it up another 2p. Even last year when the rise was announced, but deferred, they put the prices up anyway!
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - Fullchat
The £1 per litre was a significant barrier to break. Now we have all got used to it the sky's the limit £1.10 , £1.20, £1.30 and so on. £1.50 might be the next significant barrier.
I hope we soon see a rapid response by the car manufacturers in bringing forward their plans to launch more fuel efficient engines/cars.

The last time there was a major oil crisis and sky high fuel prices the price of large or fuel inefficient cars went threw the floor (couldn't give um away as they say) and small cars became flavour of the day.
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - Robin Reliant
Developing more fuel efficient engines take a long time and the increases in mileage comes in small increments. I am self-employed and use my car for business, and believe me these prices are beginning to seriously hurt.

The government should cut fuel tax to a level where their own cut goes back to where it was when diesel was still under a pound. They have been raking it in since Christmas and if there is anything that can spark 2000 style fuel protests again it is the coming 2p increase in duty.

Apart from footloose youngsters no-one uses their car for pleasure motoring anymore, we are all esential drivers for one reason or another and fuel costs are having a big impact on our living standards. Costs incurred by the haulage industry will also mean everything else we buy is going to go up too.

Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - Wee Willie Winkie
I recall shuddering not that long ago when I couldn't find a local station that was less than 100.9 ppl (why the 0.9???). Now I'm stood there while they relieve me of 108.9ppl - an increase of £4.80ish per tank.

I drive a 45ish mpg HDi. Only glad I don't drive either the 3 litre Maserati or 3 litre Alfa that two of my friends do.
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - Stuartli
I use Tesco for fuel (and free air and water), but the Morrisons outlet has always charged 20p for air.

To be frank I've no qualms with such a charge as maintaining the air line must be quite expensive.

In the case of Tesco, the air line is out of action once every few weeks or so because, invariably, some idiot has failed to replace the line properly and it's been damaged.
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - grumpyscot
"In the case of Tesco, the air line is out of action once every few weeks or so because, invariably, some idiot has failed to replace the line properly and it's been damaged."

Or more likely, Tesco just can't be bothered to fix it. Our local Tesco has 16 pumps. Only two take your payment card at the pump - the others have been broken for over 6 months now. The local manager says he doesn't have the budget to get them repaired, even though he now has to employ an extra counter assistant to deal with the non-pump payments. Absurd.

Even the heater in the fuel shop has been broken since November - the staff complain about the cold - the manager shrugs his shoulders and trots off to warm his rear on his office radiator.

Tesco - every little helps..... or rather, it doesn't.
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - geoffken
Re last post and Tesco.
You need to write to H Office as they will be VERY interested in their employees inaction regarding customer service and ELF and Safety re temp regs in working environment
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - Stuartli
>>Or more likely, Tesco just can't be bothered to fix it>>

Not true in the case of our local Tesco Extra.
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - Red Baron
I would rather drive a 3 litre Alfa than ANYTHING with an HDi in it :-)
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - Wee Willie Winkie
"I would rather drive a 3 litre Alfa than ANYTHING with an HDi in it :-) "

So would I, but not from a fuel point of view..... :-)
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - Collos25
Crude oil prices have risen from $90ish to over $100 per barrel - 10% and today are at an all time record high $105.

But the dollar is weak against the pound and euro and therefore in fact the price of a barrell of oil has decreased (only a small amount)over the last few months to those in these two currency zones.

Asda and tesco is the cheapest in the Bradford area this morning at 100.9 for petrol.
Morrisons is total rip off on just about all things tobe avoided like the plague.
Having a conversation with a friend the other day, discussing the rising popularity of diesel in the USA. Surely, this is likely to put even more pressure on diesel prices.
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - DP
The gap between diesel and petrol in these parts has increased from 4p per litre around Christmas to 6p per litre today.

Most local stations, including Sainsburys and Tescos are now asking 105.9ppl for 95 RON Unleaded and 111.9ppl for diesel.

Cheers
DP
The dollar has been weak aaginst the pound for months.. In Nov 2007 there were $2.11 to £1. Now it's $2.006.
So in Pound terms the rising price in dollars has NOT been offset by the weakening dollar. (Please check your facts!)

I am far from being a supporter of this Government but to suggest they don't need the money or will cut Fuel Taxes is frankly naive and betrays an alarming ignorance of Government finances. Government borrowing is at record highs. The Budget deficit is £35 Billion odd pa and rising. We are fighting two wars . Buildiing a huge new military infrastructure. Funding MP's expenses:-(

The Government finances are under huge pressure and they have imposed salary rise caps on public servants - whose numbers have risen at an vast rate - to stop it getting worse.

Any suggestion of cuts in fuel taxes is frankly laughable. The Government needs every £ it can raise from taxes.

(Please note I don't want any political replies .. and my comments are not in any way political)

Edited by madf on 07/03/2008 at 11:18

madf: I understand all that, but the reason for my disgruntlement is simply that I (and quite a lot of other people, from the comments on this board and on the Telegraph's website this morning) am beginning to tire of having to dip my hand ever deeper in my pocket, merely because HM Government has had, over the last decade or so, about the same idea of fiscal responsibility as the proverbial drunken matelot on pay night.

Incredible as it may seem, I wouldn't mind so much if they would only be honest about the reasons why the extra money is now needed - something along the lines of your brief outline above would be a good start - and stop all this waffle about needing to "send the right environmental message", whatever that is actually supposed to mean. If they need the money because they've got their sums wrong for whatever reason then just say so!

But, as a railway season ticket from where I live to where I work is over £200 per month for a 64-mile round trip (I researched it last night), I suppose I shall have to put up with all this nonsense until the wretched stuff is about £1.90 a litre - only at that point will the train become cheaper.
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - legacylad
Here in the UK we are not the only ones squeaking about fuel prices. Having just returned from a month staying with friends in N California, they are paying on average $3.279 per gallon now.Last October I was filling up over there for sub $3.00/gallon so thats a 10% increase within 6 months. Similar to us I think.
Just checking my Nationwide card statement this morning I see that my last tankful of gas in the US cost me £33.63 This was for my rented Dodge Ram 5.7litre V8 Hemi which was 1/8th full at the time...must be a small tank because I could only get 20.1 galls in to brim it.
paul
Don't get me started on politics:-)

You must remember the Gov't exists to spend. Period.
Green taxes are a fancy way of raising more to spend on anything but Green.

Electricty bills rise to pay for Green projects like wind power etc.

How the Government can claim to be Green and expand Heathrow by 50% defeats me.

( and no I'm not discussing global warming either).

Motorists are an easy target. They have to spend and don't organise. Some of them no doubt vote. Many don't and complain.

All I will say is if you don't vote and then want to complain - that's your right - BUT you will have zero sympathy from me.

madf - if only we could find some way of harnessing energy from all these contradictions (apart from hot air, that is).

They say we have to be green, so they take our pretty green*, and then turn it into brown (or should that be Brown)...

* with acknowledgements to Paul Weller.

Heigh ho.
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - barney100
Lots of people are so cheesed off they don't see any point in voting. I always vote but it is with the knowledge that all parties will continue to fleece the motorist. I really fear that some families will struggle financially with these incessant increases in the cost of not just fuel but the basics of living.
." Buildiing a huge new military infrastructure"

Not in this country were not. Massive cuts in defence and more to come. (Despite what Swiss Des and Gordy might say)
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - oldnotbold
I'm just starting to use a batch of 1000l of filtered waste veg oil in my 405TD. Cost me 40p/l, delivered. Economy slightly less than diesel, and it needs 25% diesel in cold weather, but it's still massively cheaper.
Has anyone considered converting their car to LPG ?
What are the economics of such a conversion ?
Morrisons - fuel prices increased today - Pica
They will continue squeezing us until they can squeeze the pips out of us, obviously that point has not arrived as yet.

I am very fortunate to be based at home 3 days a week now and my mileage for the last week (including the weekend) has only been 126. Under £20 for the week :)

I call huge the following:
replacement for Polaris - new subs and missiles £ billions
2 new aircraft carriers £3 billions
new armoured fighting vehicle
Replacement in air refuelling tankers.

There are others I have not mentioned.

The fact that the MOD cannot afford to man them or arm and clothe the people who do man them is neither here nor there:-(

Edited by madf on 07/03/2008 at 15:36

Sorry, but none of these have materialised yet and there is considerable doubt whether they ever will. The replacement Air Tankers have bit the dust as they were to be financed by through PFI, which the current credit crunch has knocked on the head. (Thank goodness, the whole thing was a farce)

Trident (Polaris went years ago) replacement.....nothing but paper shuffling at the mo.

Aircraft Carriers....we might get them in around 15 years..then again we might not.

AFVs....they keep rehashing the old kit.

The defence budget has been slashed, with more to come.