2005 1.4 petrol - Engine Cut Out - aejpup
We recently bought this car and have noticed that the engine intermittently cuts out. This has happened 4 or 5 times and is always at low speed - i.e. when stopping in traffic etc. It doesn't stall, just loses power completely. As we use the car mostly in London, this is going to be a pain if it continues! The rev counter is very low, seems to hover around the "5" mark and then suddenly plummets and that's it, engine off. Otherwise great and seems to be OK when cruising at steady speed. Any advice - oh, and please, I am not technical at all so answers in "idiot speak" would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

{typo in subject header amended. I presume you meant 1.4 and not 4.1?}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/03/2008 at 12:31

2005 1.4 Polo - Engine Cut Out - maltrap
petrol or diesel?
2005 1.4 Polo - Engine Cut Out - aejpup
Sorry, it's petrol {added to header}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/03/2008 at 12:32

2005 1.4 petrol - Engine Cut Out - Screwloose

Get the throittle plate and the inside of the throttle housing cleaned to spotless and then get the base idle adaptions re-done by someone with suitable equipment.
1.4 petrol - low tickpver and stalling. - aejpup
Car is fine at steady speeds but not good in heavy traffic when you are stopping and starting all the time. It's particularly bad in this situation if you are going up a hill or approaching a roundabout. The rev counter is very low and the engine keeps just stopping completely. It's not stalling but it just switches itself off in certain situations - you have to work pretty hard to keep the engine running.

Taken it to two garages:

1) first one was not a VW garage but said he could see something was wrong but was unable to fix it as he thought it related to the computer system and only a VW main dealer could fix it. (He thought it might need a PCM upgrade).

2) took it to a VW main dealer who kept it over the weekend (and took it for a 70 mile test!) and apparently they could not find anything at all wrong. Pretty disappointing.

We are now getting a bit hacked off. We only bought the car at the end of January.

ANY THOUGHTS?

shouting ammended in the subject line - PU

{moved to a previous question as related - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/03/2008 at 18:55

1.4 (PETROL) - STOPPING - adverse camber
without knowing the age of the car and the engine / version its difficult to know.

Is this one of the polos that does switch off at traffic lights etc?

bought from a main dealer ? private?

miles?
1.4 (PETROL) - STOPPING - Dynamic Dave
without knowing the age of the car

Should do now that I've moved the latest question asked to an earlier one asking pretty much the same thing.
1.4 (PETROL) - STOPPING - aejpup
Thanks for getting back. The car is 3 years old (registered March 2005). We bought it from a main dealer at the end of January and it had 18,900 miles on it and I supposed now it must be about 19,500 miles. Sorry, but I don't know engine version. We took it back to a VW main dealer (not the one we bought it from but in the same group) last week and they say they cannot find a single thing wrong with it.

without knowing the age of the car and the engine / version its difficult to
know.

Is this one of the polos that does switch off at traffic lights etc? bought from a main dealer ? private? miles?
1.4 (PETROL) - STOPPING - maltrap
Sorry but I don't know engine version.

megasnipquote

the engine code consists of 3 letters eg AWH,APE.AUA,AFH,AFK,AQQ,AUB, these can be found at the front of your service book or on a white sticky label stuck on top of the timing belt cover.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/03/2008 at 18:55

1.4 petrol - low tickpver and stalling. - Screwloose

Clearly the first garage is living in the past and is on the way to oblivion.

Did you ask the VW dealer to clean the throttle housing and re-set the base idle?
1.4 petrol - low tickpver and stalling. - Whisky
I had a very similar problem with a 95 Astra, when sat at idle the engine would randomly stop. It would then take a minute for the engine to start again. Took a lot of trial an error to find problem, when my more experienced "mechanic" father was in the car with me it ran fine for about 300 miles ha ha. Then just as he declared there was no problem it stopped dead so I see why the garage said no problem. Long story short the HT coil was shot to bits.

Changed it and never had a problem after. Of course your car is a lot newer and a different model so it may be completely irrelevant. Just a thought.