which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - barney100
If you had ten grand to spend on a used or new car to last you a long time and do ten k a year or more what would you go for and why? New fiesta?..used Volvo? etc etc.
which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - Pugugly
Mondeo - petrol of course !
which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - freakybacon
Yippee! First to say Citroen Berlingo! Or maybe, any of the mondeo class , such as Mazda 6, vectra, avensis etc. Have a look at what the local taxi drivers are running.

Or maybe, just as an off the wall choice... Chevrolet Lacetti and money in the bank? You will get the hatchback for around £4.5k 2years old, or the estate for £6k easily, and they both should have plenty of life left in them.
which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - oldnotbold
What do you need the car to do?
which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - Rattle
A nice two year old Skoda (modem depending on what you need it for) with full service history and less than 20k on the clock, should last 10 years easily. My uncle did 130,000 miles in his Fabia and nothing really went wrong with it.
which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - gordonbennet
Depends on size, it does matter, and use intended.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/03/2008 at 13:18

which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - Alby Back
Mondeo - diesel of course!

;-)
which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - AlfaLincs
Get a Kia Sorento diesel. Up to 35mpg, chain driven camshaft on Merc derived diesel engine. Well made, good quality fittings The only negatives are, you can't throw it around and a bumpy ride except on smooth surfaces.

I bought mine to tow a boat, and fully expected to hate it..but I really quite like it and so do the rest of the family. Amazing value for money when you think about it....and it should last a long time as well.

I second the Skoda advice as well. They do exactly what they say on the tin, and are pleasant to own and drive. We have an unused (spare car) Felicia estate with 111,000 miles on it. The only fault in seven years has been a water pump, thermostat and radiator replacement. We bought it at 17,000 miles, and it was our fourth Skoda in a row, all of which have been excellent workhorses and all taken beyond 100k miles..

Edited by AlfaLincs on 02/03/2008 at 14:07

which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - madf
Anyone buying a car which does less than 45mpg (combined) is going to find petrol/ diesel at £2 per litre in 5 years' time a bit wearisome.

And if over 140G/KM, RFL of >£500 equally so.

But hey, people ignore trends.

(and yes I am perfectly serious)..
which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - Lud
Wouldn't any car that cost £10,000 last quite a long time (unless it was a Lamborghini or something of the sort or the buyer was unrealistic in some other way)?

Come to think of it, a friend paid that for a Mercedes 500C that was silent and cruised at 130 and had the huge boot he needed. It needed a new camshaft almost immediately and later the wiring loom ate itself. He also blasted the Ns door mirror at close range with a 12-bore while trying to cull the rabbits competing for grass with his cattle. The fact that the mirror was still, sort of, usable after this was impressive, but the car didn't last long and cost him plenty. Of course he ignored my advice to change the oil for example. He looked at me as if I was mad and said he topped it up when the light came on to say that the level was dangerously low.

Farmers, I mean. Bumboclaat!

Edited by Lud on 02/03/2008 at 19:28

which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - Pendlebury
Accord, Avensis or a scooby forester.
Apologies for the predictability.
which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - MichaelR
A used BMW 5 Series.

If you are going to keep a car for a long time, then you must first ensure it is a car you will always enjoy owning. a Skoda Fabia might make sense on paper but I'd be sick to death of it after a year let alone 5 or 10 of them.

A decent 5 Series will cost more to maintain but provided you keep servicing and repairing it will easily last you 10 years or more. They are not cheap to run but are probably cheaper than the depreciation people insist on suffering by buying new Vauxhalls.
which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - Harleyman
A used BMW 5 Series.
If you are going to keep a car for a long time then you must
first ensure it is a car you will always enjoy owning.

A decent 5 Series will cost more to maintain but provided you keep servicing and
repairing it will easily last you 10 years or more.

Although I've only had my 1994 model for four, I'd go along with that. 187K miles still going strong and the body and interior have held up well; nice to drive too.
which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - Pugugly
.....and arguably one of the nicest looking mass production cars on the road....
I've had my late 2001 530 for 18 months now and in that time it's cost me £1700-£1800 in servicing, repairs and tyres. I concede that this is not cheap - it's infact double what my Mondeo cost me in 2 years - but it's still less than the depreciation on a 2006 Focus..
which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - vulcan7
Hi
Previous model Honda accord best you can find with plenty of toy's and take SWMBO
on a nice holiday. That way everyone will be happy.
which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - CJay{P}
I've had my late 2001 530 for 18 months now and in that time it's
cost me £1700-£1800 in servicing repairs and tyres. I concede that this is not cheap
- it's infact double what my Mondeo cost me in 2 years - but it's
still less than the depreciation on a 2006 Focus..

My goodness that is a lot of money - you must have been unlucky. Have you put at lest 30k miles?

In the last 4 years we have had two BMWs in the household, the total servicing and repair bills for the entire period is under £2500. And that is in spite of a turbo going pop.

Unless you take it to a dealer a BMW is not that costly to maintain. Even if you do take it to a dealer, BMWs are a lot cheaper than Audi or Mercedes for servicing.

Edited by Webmaster on 03/03/2008 at 00:59

which used car for ten grand to last a long time? - spikeyhead {p}
Any that you enjoy driving. That way you'll look after it.

There's a few smaller cars, the KA for example that can rust, but these days its more likely that the electronics will go wrong as a car ages.
My goodness that is a lot of money - you must have been unlucky. Have
you put at lest 30k miles?

20k - and that includes 2 services at a main dealer and a set of Eagle F1 GS-D3's @ £600.

I've just re-calculated - £1500 is the total.

Edited by Webmaster on 03/03/2008 at 01:00