2000 1.7 - Loss of Power - jane_roach
My Puma (2000 - 1.7) has recently developed a problem with apparent loss of power. I have so far spent £200 trying to get it sorted but unfortunately it persists.

While driving, there seems to be a loss of power, it actually feels like someone is applying the brakes. It only lasts for a few seconds and then the car appears to surge forward. I have tried looking at the rev counter when it does it and revs does not seem to drop. The problem is totally arbitrary ie it can happen when the engine is cold or hot, in low gear or in high gear and in different weather conditions. I have had new leads and spark plugs fitted and it has been hooked up to Ford diagnostics and shows no error codes. The guys at my local Ford garage have contacted Ford UK but have been told this isn't a known problem. Unfortunately in their 5 mile test drives the car has never replicated the problem. I am not imagining it as someone else (not a mechanic) has experienced it while driving.

I am now at my wits end as I have got to get it sorted as I believe it is potentially dangerous. The car in all other respects is fine. It has done just under 42k.

I would be really grateful if you have got any ideas as to what I should do next as I am stymied.

{post reformatted to remove all the '>' symbols and year/engine added to the subject header as per the 3 separate requests that seem to hide themselves whenever someone composes their question!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/03/2008 at 14:22

Loss of Power - bathtub tom
>>I have tried
> looking at the rev counter when it does it and revs does not seem to
> drop.

Wheelspin?
Slipping clutch?
Loss of Power - Diagnostics Doc
Well its hard to tell but It could possibly be a main relay or fuel pump relay fault if your getting a slight voltage drop to the fuel pump maybe? wouldnt post a code either and is cheap to renew, coil packs crack underside but give a hesitation or misfire...
Loss of Power - Screwloose
jane

Intermittent faults that leave no codes are the worst to find.

There's a high probability that this is a fault with the coilpack; although there are many other possibilities, like the cam advance unit.
2000 1.7 - Loss of Power - bikerider
Make sure the oil level is ok, if the oil level is low this can affect performance as the vvt works off oil pressure.If the oil level is low the valve timing will not operate correctly causing a drop in performance.
2000 1.7 - Loss of Power - DeadPuma
Hi Jane,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I seem to have exactly the same problem and noone seems to be able to figure it out. Mine seems to be getting worse to the point that the car can slow from 70 to 30. It's very very annoying.

Edited by DeadPuma on 23/07/2008 at 10:26

2000 1.7 - Loss of Power - Vix123
Hi Jane,

I thought i was going mad! I have the same problem with my 1.7 2001 Puma (49K) but no one seems to know why. I had it liked up to a diagnostic machine and it shows a loss of power but no one knows why.
Mine has progressively been getting worse since January. It initially began after my coil pack went. After i had it replaced my new coil pack went too. I was told the first could have just been a faulty coil pack or there might be something more serious wrong. I had all my plugs checked and replaced at the same time so i know its not them. I, like you, am also keen to get the problem fixed as it is becoming more dangerous.
I ahve had it suggested that it could be one of my cylinders mis-firing???

One thing i do know is that one mechanice poured some kind of specail fluid cleaner into my petrol tank and this seemed to solve the problem for a week or so but the problem gradually returned. Does my info help any of you diagnose mine and janes problem? I am about to spend a lot to try and get this problem sorted but would like to be able to point the mechanics in the right direction straight away without spending a fortune first?

Huge thanks!
2000 1.7 - Loss of Power - Vix123
I have just found a website that suggests that a well know problem with Pumas is the Throttle Position Sensor. If there was a problem with the Throttle position Sensor, would that create the symptons we have all experienced?
2000 1.7 - Loss of Power - Screwloose

The TPS "fault" is a different can of worms entirely. Mainly idle issues.

Failed coilpacks can damage the output transistors of the ECU and cause on-going misfires after the coilpack has been replaced. This is clearly visible to an expert with an oscilloscope - but baffles the average garage.
2000 1.7 - Loss of Power - Cty
It could be a failing HEGO (oxygen sensor) which is a part of the emmissions system. Ford's FDS will not throw up a fault code, having an emmissions test will pinpoint this problem.
Another symptom is a very sooty tailpipe and poor fuel economy.

Has the car been running with the aircon on recently as this seems to take a hefty chunk of power from the engine- feels like someone is pulling/releasing the handbrake.