Car buying advise - LinuxGeek
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a car for my Mrs, the choice is between Honda Civic and VW Golf, we're looking for 1.4/1.6 petrol engines and the budget is £3000.
Which one would be a best buy with this budget? I know they both are excellent cars and she equally likes them both but which one would prove a better option in the long run, we're looking for something that cheaper to run/maintain and reliable. It'll mainly be run around town as a second car. Thanks.
Car buying advise - *Gongfarmer*
Look at the reliability and consumer satisfaction polls the Civic always beats the Golf, generally finishing in the top 5. Civic engines are a lot perkier size for size, especially the 1.4. However £3K will buy you either the last of the old shape (Rover 400) or the earliest of the next shape. The older is shorter on rear room and much lower built, the latter is more like a mini MPV. I'm biased because I've spent the last 10 years in Civics, but compared to VW owning friends my failures have been minimal. (Fan switch and a broken door handle in 150K).
Car buying advise - helicopter
I agree MazMan, I suggest the X or Y reg new shape Civic is your best bet if you can get one without galactic mileage, try and get the EX spec with all the bells and whistles ( leather / aircon etc ) and as low mileage as you can. I traded my seven year old MPV shape Civic for the Accord Tourer last year at just over 40 K it was a bargain for somebody on the Main Dealers forecourt at £1 k more than my part ex with full years dealers parts and labour warranty. It sold in a week.

Recommended, reliable motoring. Take a look on Autotrader , loads of them for sale.
Thanks for your honest opinions. SWMBO is slightly more in favour of Golf where as I'm preaching Civic because of Honda's known reliability track and IMO they do one of the best petrol engines out there. Going to see a Honda Civic on Saturday, its 1.6 i-VTEC so I hope she'll like it and within our budget.
Car buying advise - Saltrampen
Personally I think both are dear for parts.
No exp with VW's but on the 01 - 06 model Civic look out for tramlining, piston slap, booming, horrible engine notes between 2000 - 3000 rpm, wobbly seats, sticking brake calipers, kangerooing in traffic (cable problems) and failed air con. The 1.4 is a sweeter sounding engine, but the 1.6 has better pull at high revs and better braking.
For £3000 I think the car's past history and current condition will be more critical than if it is a Hoinda or VW. If you can find problem free good examples of both, then I think the golf maybe the better bet as I believe it handles British roads more smoothly than civics.
Car buying advise - Falkirk Bairn
I'd go for the Honda - but I would - had 2 in the last 12 years but I would go for one with a resaonable milage - do not go for one that is 7 years old and 28,000 miles - it will have done 2 mile trips every day to the shops, church and the GPs surgery

Both my Civics did reasonable mileages - 71,000 in 6 years and 93,000 in 6 years- all told apart from servicing, tyres, exhausts (they eat rear boxes) I spent maybe £300 on the 2nd car and nothing on the first one - my son bought it from me in 2001 and it needed a sidelight and a mainbeam light in the following 18 months. It is still running and as yet apart from servicing it has been 100% inc MoT tests - at 12.5 years old that is exceelent.

Do I have a Honda now ? No Mazda & Nissan - local Honda dealer tried to pull a fast one for about £1300 on unnecesary repairs and lost a sale of a new car.
Just thought I should let you guys know that I went and bought a 2001 Honda Civic 1.6 i-VTEC privately, its one owner with 88k miles on it and its got full Honda service history. Wife quite likes it so its all good :)