Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - henry k
The expected introduction of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles could cut U.S. gasoline use but could increase deadly air pollution in some areas, two reports say.
That's because a plug-in's lower tailpipe emissions may be offset by smokestack emissions from the utility generating plants supplying electricity to recharge the big batteries that allow plug-ins to run up to 40 miles without kicking on their gasoline engines. Plug-ins, called PHEVs, are partly powered, in effect, by the fuel used to generate the electricity.

The rest of the USATODAY news item: tinyurl.com/yss7cr

Another example of not looking at the whole package?
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - Kiwi Gary
More likely to be a dead cert, in my opinion. Because of minor details like transmission losses between generator and charger, the power station generator has to put out some 20% more power than is theoretically needed to charge the batteries. Multiply this by the inefficiency of the power station itself which may be as low as 30% thermal, and there is a lot of unpleasantness going up the chimney relative to the energy shoved into the batteries.

Example - Say your PHEV fleet requires 100 kWh to charge.

Required generator output = 120 kWh.

Power station fuel burn, producing emissions = (120 / 0.3) kWh = 400 kWh.

Not to mention the energy cost of getting the power station fuel out of the ground and into the station.

One of my pet hates about this whole Save-the-Planet juggernaut is lack of a big-picture approach. { On the other hand, perhaps I have missed something and the politicians have actually repealed the Second Law of Thermodynamics.}

Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - madf
" politicians have actually repealed the Second Law of Thermodynamics."

If 10% of politicians knew the law, I'd be surprised.. and delighted.

In the US coal is supreme for power generation. In the Uk with our green credentials our nukes are growing old and we are building our first new plants for years - which are coal.!!!!

A logical approach to emissions would be to start by improving public transport.

Since there is no plan to improve public transport nationwide, I assume there is no logical approach.

In a crowded SE England building more roads to meet the growing population is very expensive, time consuming (planning), essential .. and not going to be done.

My comments apply to all political parties.

PS: more cameras are no use if there are no jail places.:-(

Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - moonshine {P}

You guys need to look at the big picture.

What if the energy comes from a wind farm or nuclear power station? Things look a bit different then.

Local air quality will be much improved in cities and the emissions from power stations can be better controlled than at an individual car level.

Yes, the whole system is in-efficient, but then so is an ICE!

personally I love the idea of an electric car that is charged by a set of cheaply printed solar panels kept in my back garden. Or even a homemade wind turbine would do the job nicely.

With a limited supply of oil, we will soon find that we have no choice but to look at these type of alternatives.

Don't be afraid of progress!
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - adverse camber
Electric cars have always been about localised emissions - ie smog control. That is the driver behind legislation in the states. Except in extreme use conditions a half decent diesel has always been more efficient than the prius etc.

Its only now that US is finally starting to admit that climate change and peak oil are issues. And they are still pushing weasel words as much as they can so I'm not surprised that a comic like usa today is pushing the oil agenda.

wind is only viable in specific places - the small turbines I see sprouting all over the place are a waste of space. PV is still too expensive, and the combination of PV and wind still doesnt meet the demand profile.

I don't like it but there is no viable alternative to nuclear in the medium term.

Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - oldnotbold
"What if the energy comes from a wind farm"

My pet hate is wind farm electricity - remember the high pressure that sat over the UK for a couple of weeks recently, or the one that sat over all of Europe (killing lots of elderly people) in the summer of four years ago? High pressure tends to be associated with extremes of hot and cold, and no wind.

Wind power is fine in the Falklands (avg wind 25 mph 24/7), but it's very unreliable, and requires fossil fuel capacity to be at immediate standby, burning fuel, but with no/little output. So powering a car with wind-produced electricity really won't happen more than 30% of the time. The rest of the time it'll be powered by coal/oil/gas, as at the moment the UK is running down nuclear, though it will have to build more in due course.

Edited by oldnotbold on 27/02/2008 at 10:12

Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - carl_a
>>Except in extreme use conditions a half decent diesel
has always been more efficient than the prius etc.

Can you tell me one diesel car with an automatic gearbox that pollutes less than the prius?
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - boxsterboy
Can you tell me one diesel car with an automatic gearbox that pollutes less than
the prius?

Give me a manual any day of the week. Like a Polo Bluemotion. Less CO2 than a Prius and no worries about the future of the batteries.
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - Mapmaker
What if the energy comes from a wind farm? Things look
a bit different then.

Indeed they do. Even worse. Whilst wind farms generate energy sporadically, a conventional power station carries on generating electricity that goes to waste - just in case the wind stops.

personally I love the idea of an electric car that is charged by a set
of cheaply printed solar panels kept in my back garden. Or even a homemade wind
turbine would do the job nicely.

Cheap is the matter of it...

Yes, you are spot on. Solar panels are currently very expensive (money and environmentally). There is some progress being made with solar panels that can be printed on thin films of plastic using ink jet technology. Once I can go out and buy a 10metre roll of solar panels for a tenner then everyone will have them.

I've heard the arguement about power stations having to run at full capacity to support the sporadic nature of wind power. I'm just a little bit dubious of your claim, but I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to comment.

Micro/home power generation currently only makes sense if you can build it yourself using recycled materials. Many people use volvo hub and disk assemblies to build their turbines. Some of the homemade turbines are very impressive and can produce a couple of Kw.

As for the B&Q type turbines, I think they are more about making a fashion statement rather than being of any use.

I understand that the Volt is expected to be in mass production by 2010.
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - Roly93
More likely to be a dead cert in my opinion. Because of minor details like
transmission losses between generator and charger the power station generator has to put out some
20% more power than is theoretically needed to charge the batteries. Multiply this by the
inefficiency of the power station itself which may be as low as 30% thermal and
there is a lot of unpleasantness going up the chimney relative to the energy shoved
into the batteries.

I think you are spot on here. Also, what about the extra energy and materiels required to build all of the battery/generator and other gubbins in these cars which is hardly ever thought about.
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - Saltrampen
However the power is generated, shifting to electric moves the burden of "environmental" responsibility from the motorist to the Government and Power companies.
What if all these motorists sign up for green tariff power (is there a limit to how many can sign up for this).
Generating your own power is a good idea, but unless you live in a remote location, you have planning regulations and siting issues to consider. Also it is a well known fact that larger scale generation is cheaper. ie. If the entire town paid £1000 a household for a big green generation scheme, it is more cost effective that each individual household to fit its own devices.
Don't forget even if cars were 100% carbon neutral that would not solve the congestion issues. ...(20years time I guess there will be sat. based congestion charge for the whole country made up of a CO2 levy and a congestion component). Point I am making is the revenue made from CO2 levies and cars etc, will have to come from somewhere in the future.

"Point I am making is the revenue made from CO2 levies and cars etc, will have to come from somewhere in the future. "

Your argument only applies if Governments continue to spend money as at today's rates: 2 wars, large welfare state, etc.
With resources coming more scarce.. look at oil, grain and basic metals.. we are all going to see a significant rise in our living costs. That means we will have less money to spend.
In the meantime Gov't costs go up.

It takes no genius to realise, either Gov't taxes more (at a time when disposable income is falling) , borrows more (interst rates rising) or spends less.

If politicians were logical..

I predict air pollution will get worse cos the rising car use in India China and the US and Latin America will just continue on as is... until there is a real need to change.

A real need is defined as mass deaths or starvation or both.

We have just seen the end of a golden age of motoring with cheap oil and cheap cars due to technology and competition. Solar panels will become cheaper and moree effective but in the UK do you seriously want to rely on solar energy.
As for wind energy, it's a bad joke. Even the Outer Hebrides do not want wind farms and the transmission losses!

Car makers take 10-20 years to adapt new technolgy (except in the US where it's 40 years). So even if electric cars powered by battery were viable now, volume use would be 2017 at the earliest.

Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - Blue {P}
What if all these motorists sign up for green tariff power (is there a limit
to how many can sign up for this).

There is yes.

To try and put it into words, if you imagine that the UK's power was 50% fossil fuel and 50% renewable, that would mean that everyone's power was 50% zero carbon.

Then along comes a power company who sell a green tariff, they get 25% of the UK poplulation to pay the premium and switch, these people now get to boast that their electricity is 100% zero carbon. But wait, now the remaining 75% of the UK have electricity that is only 33% zero carbon as half of the renewable power is being used by those on the green tariff. After all of the marketing fuss and people paying premiums, the net result is that the UK is 50% fossil fuel powered and 50% renewable.

The only way that a green tariff could claim to be truly green would be if they built a brand new renewable gnerator (whatever type that may be) every time 25 people switched.

In order to get around this problem what many firms do is take the premium and pay most of it into a "green fund" which gives grants to schools, community centres etc. to allow them to put a turbine on the roof so they can save a couple of quid on their leccy bill.

So, I appreciate that my figures are wildly inaccurate, but I just wanted to make them a little easier to understand rather than using the actual renewable figure which is about 2% IIRC.

Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - PhilW
Let's get real people - there is absolutely nothing we can do about these emissions and their effect on climate.
Most "global warming" is caused by water and water vapour - "Water accounts for about 90% of the Earth's greenhouse effect -- perhaps 70% is due to water vapor and about 20% due to clouds (mostly water droplets), some estimates put water as high as 95% of Earth's total tropospheric greenhouse effect (e.g., Freidenreich and Ramaswamy, ?Solar Radiation Absorption by Carbon Dioxide, Overlap with Water, and a Parameterization for General Circulation Models,? Journal of Geophysical Research 98 (1993):7255-7264)

Let's say that the rest of "global warming" is down to CO2 (forgetting methane etc), "humans can only claim responsibility, if that's the word, for about 3.4% of carbon dioxide emitted to the atmosphere annually, the rest of it is all natural ."
Therefore, if you removed ALL "human" CO2 emitters from the equation you would only remove 3.4% of 5% of the "global warming" gases from the atmosphere. Road transport is about 10% of of that 3.4%.
I make that 10% of 3.4% of 5% of global warming gases removed if you removed every car, truck and van from the surface of the earth tomorrow - so what effect do you think the odd car in Britain would make, plug in, gas-guzzler or whatever?
It's all a ruse to extract more tax from car drivers - easy targets.
Did humans cause the last ice age? (Which we are still in) Did humans cause the warming in "Roman Times" in UK? Did humans cause the warm spell in Middle ages? Did humans cause the "Little Ice Age" (1600 to 1800ish?) Did we helluslike.
Go on, explain that in 2008 so far "According to Nasa's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, we experienced the sharpest January-to-January global temperature drop - three quarters of a degree Celsius - since records began in 1880. Temperatures were lower than their 20th century average for the first time since 1982. Snow cover in the northern hemisphere was at its greatest extent since 1966. At the other end of the world, Antarctic ice-cover was at its most extensive since satellite records began in 1979, 30 per cent above the January average (see such websites as the US National Climate Data Center, Cryosphere Today and Watt's Up With That)."

For goodness sake - keep driving your gas-guzzlers if you want to (I won't, but then I don't need one), keep your central heating turned up; if you win the lottery - buy a Ferrari and drive it hard - whatever you do will have no effect on "global warming"
Enjoy life - it's yours , and only for one tiny insignificant moment in earth's history - make the most of your life and the car you can enjoy.
If you want sources for various quotes above, I can supply them, but remember one thing - global warming may be occurring, but it's nothing to do with the car youy drive.

Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - ForumNeedsModerating
So PhilW, what's the story? Is there conspiracy by a global network of scientists & governments all in the pay or er, Greenpeace or somesuch organisation to promote the false idea of global warmnig being caused by human activity? If no conspiracy, then just lots of misguided scientists & national/international organisations (UN, EU, Royal Society, US EPA, US NOAA etc.) all trying to stop us using our cars & keeping warm eh?

What rotters & dissimulators they are!

Now what possible reason would they have to do that? I trust you'll forward your research & conclusions forthwith to the relevant organisations & governments, so they can repent & tell us the truth.

I expect that PhilW will make the 10pm news tonight for his amzing research that has completely debunked the work of thousands of scientists over the last few decades.

Yes, I always thought it was a global conspiracy to get everyone on the planet to pay more tax.
I'm quite shocked to have just found out that the department for transport (DfT) are also in on this climate change scam that is being played on us all.

Just take a look at this website they run:

www.dft.gov.uk/ActOnCO2/

Look at this crazy statement that the DfT are making on the homepage of the website:

"All cars on the road today contribute to climate change because their engines burn fuel and therefore produce carbon dioxide (CO2) every time we drive."

Edited by moonshine {P} on 28/02/2008 at 08:50

>>"All cars on the road today contribute to climate change

There is absolutely no scientific proof of this assertion. Please provide references if you believe otherwise.
their engines burn fuel and therefore produce carbon dioxide (CO2) every time we drive."

Fair enough.

Personally, I am all for reducing energy consumption, and waste, increasing recycling etc. and as a result am no great fan of Ferraris. But only because the world has finite resources. The amount of CO2 in the air is - what? - 0.02 or 0.03%. To suggest that a tiny variation in a tiny proportion of the composition of the atmosphere can change the climate beggars belief.

Just remember that in the 1970s scientists were reporting global cooling and asking what politicians were going to do to prevent the next ice age.

The climate is changing. But the climate has always changed. We have been emitting CO2 for a long time, but only in the last 10-20 years has it been alleged that it has suddenly caused temperatures to rise. It just doesn't stack up. Sorry.
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - Baskerville
Imagine the atmosphere is a giant chilli con carne you are making for your supper. You add the chillis and by volume they make up less than one percent of the total. It's lovely. Then you add a little more. Still less than one percent, still a tiny amount, but suddenly your dinner is inedible.
>>"All cars on the road today contribute to climate change
There is absolutely no scientific proof of this assertion. Please provide references if you believe

The assertion was made by the DfT so I can't tell you where they sourced their info

Just remember that in the 1970s scientists were reporting global cooling and asking what politicians
were going to do to prevent the next ice age.

We did prevent the next ice age by releasing lots of CO2 into the atmosphere. We should be getting colder but in fact we are getting warmer.
SQ
The assertion was made by the DfT so I can't tell you where they sourced
their info

Probably best not to repeat it on a public forum then. Unless you believe all the propoganda that the Government peddles...

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/02/2008 at 14:16

It's very kind of you, woodbines and moonshine, to credit me with the research, but as I made clear in my post, I was quoting others. My main point (perhaps not well made enough) was not that global warming is not taking place but that the emphasis on HUMANS causing it may well be misplaced and the penalising and demonising of car drivers is out of all proportion to their contribution to "Global Warming" or should that now be "climate change"? - already we see a subtle change in terminology because "those thousands of scientists " are now not so sure that "Global warming " will take place but that some parts of the earth may actually cool.
As for the UN, RA and all those other organisations - are you referring to the same UN that based its arguments on the "Hockey stick" graph, you know the now totally discredited one that shows global temperatures rocketing to previously unheard of levels but just happened to exclude the even warmer temps of the Middle Ages?
And of course there is no hypocrisy involved (or money to be made?) by the likes of Al Gore who clocks up more air miles per month (promoting his film berating us for driving) than most of us clock up in a life time; or by those 10,000 "Global Warming" advocates who went to Bali, half a world away, to discuss how to reduce CO2 emissions. I wonder what attracted them to that tropical island paradise for their conference? How about introducing a Low Emission Zone which penalises motorists while at the same time allowing thousands of aircraft to overfly the same city, or building a relatively new airport in docklands? or propose massive expansion of Heathrow? And the newspapers are no better - they warn us of Global warming then have a travel supplement which almost exclusively promotes, for about 40 pages, the delights of flying to numerous exotic long haul destinations.
Of course, if you feel that swapping to a battery driven car, powered actually by coal/gas/oil fired power station will make a difference to Climate Change, then feel free to do so - just a pity that perhaps 90% of the world's population have never even heard of Climate change.
Long rant over - apologies.
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - Ravenger
It's interesting that water vapour is the biggest contribution to global warming. Hydrogen powered cars are supposedly considered global warming friendly because they don't emit CO2. However they do emit large quantities of water vapour. Can anyone else see a contradiction here?
A little knowledge is dangerous.

As for water vapour, it's where it is in the atmosphere that counts. At sea level... no big deal. At 20kms up, significant.

I refuse to discuss climate change here because most of us are repeating positions taken by others: but with the benefit of total ignorance.

I envy those who KNOW they are right. I wish I was so expert:-)

Plug in cars could increase pollution.. depending upon the way the electricity consumed is made.

In Germany the electricity industry is set up so any surplus electricity produced by a consumer or town or factory can be resold to the Grid: at a profit.

In the UK: at a loss if you can sell it.

So basically despite huffing and puffing, the laws on Electricity supply in the UK will have to change to allow anyone - on their own - to make any difference to electrical pollution. As for wind, wave or sea, it's uneconomic, unloved by environmentalists and totally unreliable. Apart from that it's ideal:-)

The UK electricty supply at present would collapse in overload if asked to supply lots of electric cars: so the question is academic.

Rant over.

Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - nortones2
Well said madf.
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - Blue {P}
So basically despite huffing and puffing the laws on Electricity supply in the UK will
have to change to allow anyone - on their own - to make any difference
to electrical pollution.

I don't understand this, if you choose to install micro-generation in your home and you want to pay for the installation of an import/export meter then you can quite legally and easily re-sell your excess electricity back to the grid, last time I looked one of the big suppliers would pay 7.5p per KWh (ish)

Of course you would have to have a lot of excess to ever get close to making a profit after you have paid for the turbine, wiring and extra metering equipment, but then the situation is no different in Germany.

The hockey stick graph has not been totally discredited - my understanding is that they are still argueing over it. My view is that there may have been a flaw in their methodolgy, but if corrected it does not change the result.

I agree with you on one thing - there is a lot of hypocrisy. As an example, those who drive a large SUV hybrid, "becuase it's good for the environment"

No car will ever be 'good' for the environment. By their nature they are bad for the planet. They consume resources, we pave over green spaces to build roads, they kill people, the dust from tyres and brake pads contains heavy metals that poison the earth.

But I'm a hypocrite as well, I like cars and in the right situations I also enjoy driving.

95% of my mileage is for commuting, going to the shops etc. For me that's not fun driving and that's where I would like to reduce my CO2 emissions.
moonshine
"The ?hockey stick? representation of the temperature behavior of the past 1,000 years is broken, dead. Although already reeling from earlier analyses aimed at its midsection, the knockout punch was just delivered by Nature magazine. Thus the end of this palooka: that the climate of the past millennium was marked by about 900 years of nothing and then 100 years of dramatic temperature rise caused by people. The saga of the ?hockey stick? will be remembered as a remarkable lesson in how fanaticism can temporarily blind a large part of the scientific community and allow unproven results to become ?mainstream? thought overnight.
The ?Hockey Stick? is dead. "
from
www.worldclimatereport.com/index.php/2005/03/03/ho.../

Which may of course be the most biassed site on earth!

I have been looking around the net for a site that gives reasonable info on greenhouse effect etc and so far the "best" has been the UK met office site. I appreciate it is hard to get a completely unbiased picture, but this site at least mentions the arguements and counter arguements. There maybe better sites out there - if anyone knows of any, please let us all know. I suppose the simplistic view is that there maybe a chance that the CO2 argument is wrong in which case the harm will be mainly economic, but if it is right then doing something *may* just save the planet...in which case we will switch to electric or CO2 neutral cars and pressurise Leaders etc to produce "Green" power. At the moment Biomass based fuel seems to be the course pursued by many makers, until that market reaches sauturation.
Thanks to those who answered my questions - you confirmed my suspicions.
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - MVP
The plus-point for electric cars is that they would normally be charged overnight when the demand for electricity is very low.

Power stations still have to be kept running 24x7, and a lot of energy is wasted during this time (hence cheap rate for storage heaters etc.)

At the end of the day, sometime in the future, personal vehicals will become the preserve of the wealthy only - the planet can't take China & India burning energy like the US & EU

MVP
"the planet can't take China & India burning energy like the US & EU"

True but also academic.

There is not enough installed - or planned to be installed - capacity in oil production and refining to do so for the next 20 years. World oil demand would rise from 80odd Million Barrels of Oil per day (bopd) to around 200-240Million.

Of course there are huge untapped reserves in the oil sands and tars of Canada and N America. These require ginormous investment and require heat so by themselves would take a lot of energy. As for pollution, well.. a lot of money would have to be invested...

There are still small oil companies with production and reserves that are undervalued at present oil prices. In 10 years time they will be dirt cheap.

Imo Western car society is going to undergo some huge changes...anyone who wants a 4x4 had better buy one when they can....
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - simmybear
My 2 pennorth:

1) Climate scientists (both pro and against climate change) have made there careers based on the debate so are unlikely to say it's all a fuss about nothing.

2) Governments like the population to be a bit paranoid, it makes controlling the country easier - it used to be the cold war and the red menace - now that's history it's climate change

3) Aren't we also being just a little bit arrogant as well - climate change won't end life on earth as a whole just make it damned inconvenient for humans (whether its cold or hot) if we follow the Darwinian view then species that can successfully adapt survive and those that can't die out.

I do drive a 4x4 but thats because I want 7 seats and a goo famiy utility vehicle, I only drive around 5000 miles a year so my actual emmissions are less than a rep or white van man so why should I feel guilty>

SIMON
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - MeWeBe
Stop and THINK!
How much heat does your car give off even when it is not going anywhere? 2Kw from the engine heat? 2KW from the exhaust heat? 2kW from the Radiator? When it is working moving the car, is this doubled or trebled? It takes less than 1/2 a KW to push an average european car at 50mph. A research petrol engine driving no ancilliaries, and running at full load is maybe 30 to 40% efficient. A real engine pumping oil and water around, and turning steering pumps and alternators and air conditioning belts, is maybe 20% efficient at full load, and maybe 5% efficient at low loads. Add transmission losses and you get the picture.
Electric motors may be only 90% efficient and electrical transmission from the power station maybe only 80% efficient, but only 10% of the energy is required at the car, so 20% lost in electricity transmission is only 20% of 10%, ie 2% losses compared to petrol used.
This is as plain as the nose on your face, but I am staggered by the number of people who conveniently ignore it.
You may not want to drive an electric car, but they do use 1/10th of the energy of petrol cars in congested conditions, and much less elswhere as well, and emissions can be controlled better in power stations than in car exhausts.
Foot Note: It takes a lot more energy to make a car than it ever consumes as fuel, so a small car is the only real energy saving, and large heavy hybrids are as ridiculous as you can get.
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - nortones2
Re "Foot Note: It takes a lot more energy to make a car than it ever consumes as fuel, so a small car is the only real energy saving, and large heavy hybrids are as ridiculous as you can get." Not so re the use of energy. The ratio is greatly the other way round. It varies, but approximately 15% energy used in mfr, compared with 85% during the lifetime of the vehicle. The canard repeated above is what gave the Hummer an apparent energy balance preferable to the Prius. Debunked many times.
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - b308
You may not want to drive an electric car but they do use 1/10th of
the energy of petrol cars in congested conditions and much less elswhere as well and
emissions can be controlled better in power stations than in car exhausts.

Any chance of persudaing someone to make one with decent range (ie about 250/300 miles) and reasonable price (sub £10k) that takes 4 people and luggage?

I'd have one tomorrow if they did....
"a site that gives reasonable info on greenhouse effect etc "

One of many!
www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/

Some interesting bits here also from same site
www.junkscience.com/ByTheJunkman/20071227.html
www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/cause.html

But I especially like this bit
"The Greenest Hypocrites of 2007"
www.junkscience.com/ByTheJunkman/20071206.html

that junk science site is a good example of a very bad site! I've visited that site before and it is TERRIBLE. Full of bad info and misleading articles. It does NOT provide an unbiased take on global warming.

See what this site has to say about junk science:

skepdic.com/refuge/junkscience.html

heres a quote:

"The Junk Science Page is not about junk science so much as it is about anything which does not support a conservative or libertarian political agenda for businesses and industries that do not like regulations that limit their ability to pollute or poison us or our environment. Milloy uses the term 'junk science' mainly as a political and polemical term. What the majority of scientists call sound science, Milloy usually calls junk science. And what he calls 'sound science', the majority of scientists usually call junk science."

to add some balance, try some of these sites:

lets start with a site by the UK government (so you could say an authority site)

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Environmentandgreenerliving/T...3

Or the BBC

www.bbc.co.uk/climate/

This one is good as well

climatedenial.org/
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - simmybear
Lets think shall we - the UK Government - honest and entirely objective and truthfull?

The BBC who are often as wrong in their reporting as right?

climatedenial.org - they've surely got no axe to grind?

I took my 8 year old son to the science museum recently and we looked at an exhibit depicting earths temperature over the period of the last 200 million years (I think) and to say it went up and down as many times as a tarts knickers is an understatement.

Humans as a civilised and developed industrialised species have existed for a tiny fraction of that time - let's not be so arrogant as to say we really know what the effect we have on the climate compared with the cyclical nature of earths temperature on it's own.

London has ranged from the abode of dinosaurs, tropical marine species and hippos to an arctic tundra all without human help. Lets get our contribution in perspective and as somebody said earlier spend our short lives in the best way I can.

Personally I'd like to be ble to say on my deathbed I did everything I wanted to do in my 3 score years and ten.

SIMON
wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/2008/02/19/another-g.../

The latest data from the Hadley centre posted here in graphical form show that 2007 was much colder than the last couple of decades.
The latest data from the Hadley centre posted here in graphical form show that 2007 was much colder than the last couple of decades.

But guess which way the trendline still goes? Yep, that's right - up.

I had a quick look at the link you posted - it made for interesting reading.

The big question is wether its an anomaly or a trend. Here's a quote form the author:

"This is an anomaly with a large magnitude, and it coincides with other anecdotal weather evidence. It is curious, it is unusual, it is large, it is unexpected, but it does not ?erase? anything. I suggested a correction to DailyTech and they have graciously complied."

This reminds me of people who say stuff like "global warming can't be happening becuase we had a really cold winter". Or to give balance, the following is also a stupid statement "global warming must be happening becuase we had a really hot summer this year"
>>The big question is wether its an anomaly or a trend

The big question is whether ANY of it is an anomaly or a trend... Where weather begins and climate change ends.

And we all know that trend lines can be put on in any way you like.
The big question is whether ANY of it is an anomaly or a trend... Where weather begins and climate change ends.

Well, MM, the trend line in your arguments are certainly showing anomalies. The link to the UK Hadley Climate Research Unit graph was presumably the AGW-denier trump card - Aha! Look cold weather last year!

What's the point in putting the link - which shows cold weather last year - if then, when it's disputed that the anomaly or off-trend result is signifigant - your next argument is to dispute the veracity or worth of your original point! (i.e. the link showing the cold 2007)

And we all know that trend lines can be put on in any way you like.

Not to the extent of reversing the direction though.

London was the abode of dinosaurs and tropical because of Continental Drift.

Nothing to do with climate change.
The Romans grew grapes and made wine in Scotland.

Presumably largely because the power stations they had at the time were highly polluting and caused a major change to the climate because of greenhouse gases...
Plug-in cars could actually increase air pollution - Lud
I suspect that the theory that humans are causing global warming may have origins not intellectual and scientific but emotional, to do with badly located, unidentified guilt feelings and scientistic megalomania... but what do I know I ask myself.
Comment re Ravenger's note above - I suspect that the reasoning is the same as that for biofuels. There, now found to be inaccurate, it was assumed that the plant uptake of carbon dioxide would equal the gas produced by combustion, so no nett increase in the dreaded greenhouse gas. In hydrogen power, it is assumed that the water vapour, condensed to rain, would be broken into hydrogen and oxygen. Those elements would combine in the combustion again, thus no nett increase in atmospheric water vapour. My money is on the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Some years ago, I was closely involved with service station installations for compressed natural gas as a motor vehicle fuel, even to the extent of converting my own car to dual-fuel. Storage pressures were 3500 psi. I understand that, to get a useable range from hydrogen, storage pressures need to be 5000 psi at least. From my experience in C.N.G., I will not be an early converter to hydrogen.
MeBeWe - can I please have a reference for your half kW to push an average car at 50 mph.

In 1999, G.M. produced their purpose-designed electric car, a 2-seater sporty type. According to the official D.o.E trials, it required 5.81 kW at steady 45 mph, and 10.28 kW at steady 60 mph. Range at steady 60 mph 160 miles. Driving cycle range 140 miles. Recharge time 7 hours at 31 amps.
As we all can work out, Hydrogen will suffer the same problems as electric power..what power sources are used to produce it?
On top of this it will require major changes to car design (mainly bodywork) and garage forecourts.
You can just imagine a situation where a 10 yr old car powered by Hydrogen needs welding on its bodywork seals - I can see mechanics breaking out into a cold sweat just thinking about it - as the stuff forms one of the most penetrating liquids/gas known.
Maybe it will go like the zeppelin story , we all use it until a nasty explosion occurs, then no-one will touch it.
Much better are systems will somehow chemically lock the Hydrogen in some way(without discharging CO2) , and then it is produced in situ in the engine without much excess energy usage in doing so. Always wondered what the Peroxide output of a car running Hydrogen and oxygen would be as well... I guess a special catalyst may be required ??
For tokenism at its worst, see GB's pronouncement in today's Mail.

Gordon Brown said he and his wife, Sarah, had tried to cut their carbon footprints by fitting solar panels to heat water at their home in Scotland,