Best tyres for a 2005 1.6 TDCi - MikeTorque
It's almost time to replace the tyres on Focus 1.6 TDCi, and I was wondering which tyres people consider to be the best or most suitable for this model.

In particular I'm interested in what people consider are the quietest and most comfortable tyres as well as the tyres having good grip in the wet.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/02/2008 at 00:35

What do you reckon to Goodyear Excellence & Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres ?
Best tyres for a 2005 1.6 TDCi - Waino
Last month we put 4 Conti Premium Contact 2s on SWMBO's 1.6 petrol Focus and there was a marked reduction in tyre/road noise. Roadholding etc remains fine - though neither SWMBO nor I would attempt to drive like Lewis Hamilton!

We used them in replacing the (hard-wearing) Pirelli P6000s, and Firestone Firehawks. It's discussed here, if the link works www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=41617&...f
I decided to buy the Goodyear Excellence tyres. The difference compared with the Michelin Primacy is noticable. The Goodyears provide an improved ride, more comfort on any given road surface, less road noise, wet weather grip is much improved, and whereas the Michelin would break traction & skip on a bend on certain rough roads surfaces the Goodyears simply absorb the roughness and stay glued to the road thus eliminating any skipping.

I purchased from Etyres and their service was excellent. They arrived on time (phoned before they came), and did a first class job with the tyres pressured correctly and the wheels torqued correctly. They took the old tyres away for no additional change, and they were considerably cheaper than the well known tyre fitters.
Best tyres for a 2005 1.6 TDCi - Hamsafar
I agree, I'm impressed with my Goodyear Excellences (which are factory fit on the new S-class Merc) and they were a huge improvement over the Michelin Pilot Primacy HP (or some such bizarre name) I had before. I will stick to these for a few years.
Best tyres for a 2005 1.6 TDCi - MW
Any idea how they compare to Goodyear NCT5s?
Best tyres for a 2005 1.6 TDCi - Brian Tryzers
I have a certain feeling of Here We Go Again about this. Not so long ago, various contributors here - me included, to some extent - were extolling the virtues of the Primacy HP. Now, while there are undoubtedly differences between different brands and designs of tyre, I suspect that a big chunk of what we're noticing - since few of us get to do direct, like-for-like comparisons - is the difference between old tyres and new.

There's another factor to consider, too, which is a subjective, psychological one. You'll sometimes hear or read a comment that a particular piece of audio equipment makes the listener aware of parts of a recording that weren't audible before, the implication being that this shows that this piece of kit is somehow 'better'. It may well be the exact opposite - that you are suddenly aware of the violas because you can't hear the cellos and basses - but it's different and therefore striking. The tyre experience is largely a subjective one too, so the same influences are at work.

So when you've just parted with most of £200 for a couple of chunks of rubber, and the car feels and sounds a bit different as a result, you're naturally going to congratulate yourself on the wisdom of your selection. And you may be right - or you may not!
}:---)
Best tyres for a 2005 1.6 TDCi - Dynamic Dave
Any idea how they compare to Goodyear NCT5s?

Nearly anything compares better to the NCT5's. I've just got shot of 2 of the 4 fitted to my Vectra-C in place of Goodyear GSD3 Eagles. I can't say that I've really noticed a difference when changing tyres before, but I have noticed a significant difference this time. More feedback through the steering wheel, better grip and less road noise. Can't wait until the other 2 NCT5's have worn down so I can be shot of them as well.
I've tested with new Michelin Pilot Primacy & Primacy HP verses new Goodyear Excellence tyres along the same roads and can confirm the Goodyear Excellence suited the Focus better than either of the Primacy tyres.

The skipping that the Michelins do along certain rough road surfaces that include a bend is totally absent with the Goodyears which hold their line perfectly. Also the Michelins tend to "crash" rather than ride over harsh ruts in the road, something the Goodyears seem far more capable of dealing with in a quieter manner. As for the cost, the Goodyear Excellence is £65.20 per tyre including fitting, balance, new valve and taking old tyre away.

I agree that new tyres will often feel better than an old tyre as there a thicker tread and new compound which contribute to noise insulation, grip etc. but even taking these factors into account I consider the Goodyear Excellence suits this particular car better than the Michelins.

I haven't tested the NCT5, maybe someone else will be able to comment on them.
Best tyres for a 2005 1.6 TDCi - MW
I very much agree about the belief that a new set 'feel' better. They always seems softer and quieter.
Funny enough Elite tyres are doing 195/65R15 91V NCT5s and Excellence at the same price; £52.82p fitted.
www.elitedirect.com/02-tyres/tyres2bysize.php5?ord...s

When I last had a new set, I was told that Excellence were the new ones and NCT5s' days were numbered, but 18 months on, I still see loads of new cars with them as factory fitted.
I reckon a good make is probably worth it, but I would not buy cutting edge permormance tyres as I never tear around. Noise and lasting ability are important though. Over the years I had most makes and in reality, they all seem OK. No great leaders, except Michelins which seemed to last longer, ut were more expensive.
The Goodyear Excellence 205/55R16 91V are £64.57 when supplied & fitted by Elitedirect, but they don't seem to offer remote fitting like Etyres do, see link below

www.elitedirect.com/02-tyres/tyres2bysize.php5?ord...s

Has anyone used their services and if so how do you rate them ?