Filtering on a motor bike - Clanger
I suppose I've been lucky in that I've been motorcycling for 5 years and never filtered up a dual carriageway in anger until yesterday. What a disappointing and risky experience. Traffic was moving at walking pace towards an accident (I found out later) on the A1 south in North Yorkshire. I joined at Catterick and sped down to the A684 at Leeming and a load of brake lights. I chose to filter between the two lanes of traffic and cruised at no more than 15 mph when I wasn't being baulked or pinched. I was surprised by the amount of obstructive driving and plain lack of attention by other motorists. Some seemed to resent me making progress while they couldn't and took the opportunity to move as close to the adjacent car as possible. Many moved left without checking their mirrors and without indicating. We are all used to poor driving, we see it whenever we use a vehicle, and I'm not an experienced filterer but I felt that there was an unusually strong concentration of the hard of understanding, the short-sighted and the plain bloody-minded; or am I just being paranoid? Do any of you deliberately obstruct motorcyclists from filtering? If so, why?

At the next exit I and many others took to the back roads where I was able to make much more satisfactory progress. And I wasn't even late for work :-)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/02/2008 at 12:33

Filtering on a motor bike - Susukino
"I felt that there was an unusually strong concentration of the hard of understanding, the short-sighted and the plain bloody-minded"

Pretty common in my experience. I was once filtering at little more than walking pace down a line of traffic in London, think it was on or near the Embankment. I was on the outside of the outer of two or three lanes. As I trickled past a car near the head of the queue someone craned round and shouted at me "do you HAVE to do that?!". I remember that his voice was rather plummy and I recall the tone of anger very clearly.

Had I been screaming along between moving cars at 40mph on a big bike with a pillion on the back and side panniers hanging off I would have understood him being nervous. Instead I was pootling along on the outside of stationary traffic astride a skinny little 125. There was nothing dangerous or anti-social about my riding: I was then and still am a cautious motorcyclist. I think his problem was simply that he hated having to see anybody getting past him while he was stuck in traffic like the several dozen other cars I had just gone by.

The answer to his presumably rhetorical question would have been something like "no, I don't have to, but it's one of the joys of riding a bike". In fact I ignored his outburst, partly out of surprise. I don't expect car drivers to move their cars for me so that I can filter, but I think there are a lot of car drivers who fume (like this poor man) when they see motorbikes and deliberately try to obstruct them in minor ways.

Suss

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/02/2008 at 12:33

Filtering on a motor bike - jmaccyd
This can happen when you are cycling as well. This is more an example of anti-social attitudes behind the wheel then actually mirror checking faults. I try and remember the positives, like the motorists who do check their mirrors well and actually adjust their road position to allow safe progress for another road user.
Filtering on a motor bike - BobbyG
Well as a car driver only, I hate filtering motorbikes although not at snail's pace as you describe.

My problem is that when you look in your mirrors sometimes it is extremely different to see a motorcyclist. Yes if it is broad daylight and they have their headlight on fair enough. However at night, their headlight blends into all the other headlights you see. Also as you are driving along and pass car a on your inside, you check your mirror, see that car a is now in your rear view mirror, glance to your left and move over. You don't expect a motorcyclist to be coming up between the two lanes of traffic.

And when does filtering becoming undertaking?
Filtering on a motor bike - FotheringtonThomas
Unfortunately, many peole look, it seems to me, ahead, and are forgetful of the possibility that a motorcyclist may be coming through. Some do, IME, also try to stop mororcyclists from passing like this - which can be frustrating, and dangerous. I'm not sure why really, it's just another thing to be aware of.
Filtering on a motor bike - Cliff Pope
Is there a law that says if your vehicle is narrow enough to squeeze through between two lanes, you are allowed to create your own private lane in the middle?
What would the injunction, "Stay in Lane" mean in these circumstances?
Filtering on a motor bike - nick62
I remember travelling home up the A2 from Dover from a fortnights motorbike touring in France/Germany/Switzerland in the late 80's.

I almost got myself killed as I "filtered" past slower moving cars in the outside lane (nothing on the inside lane). Rather than moving over enough to let you through safely (as in the above countries, particularly France), they actually moved to stop your progress!! Amazing really........probably sums up the British attitude in general.

I want my ball back!
Filtering on a motor bike - Group B
Some car drivers are not aware that filtering is legal and so see it as "pushing in" where traffic is queuing. Both my dad and girlfriend have on seperate occasions remarked, "look at that cheeky so-and-so on the motorbike." So I have explained it is legal to make progress like that, and this changed their attitude to it (did for my g.f. anyway, not sure about my Dad).

AFAIR the first time I heard it was legal to do this was when I did the CBT test, about 15 years after I passed a car driving test. I dont recall ever being told about it when I learnt to drive a car??

But even so I've never had anything against it, I see it as one of the privileges of riding a bike. On a bike you get there quicker; in a car you stay warm and dry in bad weather and can listen to your own music.. If I see a bike approaching in my mirror I will pull over slightly if necessary to make more room.
If I see a bike approaching in my mirror I will pull over slightly
if necessary to make more room.

That's nice... it's even nicer when the person overtaking gives a wave or acknowledgement in return!
Filtering on a motor bike - AlastairM
Sorry Mr. Pope but as Rich has already pointed out it is perfectly legal to filter between traffic.

And I also had experiences , on both pedal and motor cycles, of car drivers causing obstruction, really everyone should spend sometime learing how to drive properly by doing so on two wheels first. it made me a better car driver!
Filtering on a motor bike - ForumNeedsModerating
I'm not sure about the legalities of filtering per se, but I was never cautioned or 'told off' by the authorities for filtering in my motorcycling days. On the theory & practice, I always, always assumed that at best I had not been seen (flitering) & at worst some car drivers would be unhelpfully 'pro-active'.

I think a variety of techniques are needed for successful filtering, the most important is to recognise just what type of 'queue' you're in. These fall into the main categories (with many shades bewteen): stopped, moving/slowing up to 10-20mph & fast moving streams. They further categorise themselves according to road: single carraigeway, dual urban, dual suburban (inc. motorways)

The crucial question I asked myself in passing (or filtering) the next vehicle was: 'Can that vehicle move into my intended path, if so how would I avoid it?' It may mean slowing to less than walking pace, it may mean accelerating briskly or even stopping next to a car so when the traffic moved I had road position to get past it.

The most dangerous (or unpredictable) queues IME were either stationary or accelerating queues. Stationary queues always posed the danger of people or cyclists darting out (in urban environs) or drivers actually opening their doors(!) to get a better view. Accelerating queues were dangeruos because gaps opened up & vehicles (cars mainly) might take the opportunity to change lanes quickly or 'nip-in' to gain advantage.

The easiest filtering always seemed to be fastish moving traffic in parallel/constant speed queues with no large gaps - most vehicles won't deviate their path much & are keen to maintain the lane gap. I observed keenly car rear view mirrors for the driver either looking at me or noting that they weren't looking at all. Very often the first thing to notice was the steering wheel tug & front wheel movement - it gave you that vital extra second notice.
Filtering on a motor bike - bathtub tom
I can put my hand up to inadvertently hampering a filtering 'bike, and am much more careful now. I've absolutely no objection to it, and will move to assist it, because I doubt if they're ever going to delay me, and I love to see even just a little finger raised in acknowledgement.
Filtering on a motor bike - Aretas
Never been on a motor bike in my life.
However, can't for the life of me think why anyone would want to hamper the freedom a biker has in getting through a jam. I make space if I can. Sometimes even get wave for it.
Filtering on a motor bike - martint123
I think of it as a perk to make up for getting wet when it rains ;)

Probably a fail in an advanced course/test for not making progress.

Edited by martint123 on 25/02/2008 at 14:59

All I can find in the HC is a reference to going slowly when filtering in slow moving traffic. But it does not seem to define filtering. It is generally understood to mean the act of merging into another lane of traffic, as when joining a motorway or when two lanes merge into one. That is not quite the same thing as creating a new "thin" lane for your own use. Can someone point out what the HC says on this?
Since the HC mentions 'filtering' in addition to 'merging' - it would seem to imply the legality or recognition of it. As 'filtering' means (generally) stopping one type of 'matter' & allowing another, it would seem to fit rather exactly what a m/c does when filtering. Also, one can't imagine that cars can or larger vehicles 'filter', since if any vehicle can get through a gap it's not a filter, but a normal flow? Except a filtered traffic light of course - but that's a slightly different application.
Filtering on a motor bike - Group B
I looked at the HC earlier and don't think it adequately describes it.
I've found this article which says there was a court case in 2006 which found in favour of motorbikes filtering.
www.motorbikestoday.com/news/Articles/filtering_la...m

When I did my CBT it was pre-2006 and I distinctly remember being told that on a bike you should always try to make progress, including filtering between queuing vehicles where necessary.
ISTR we were told a maximum speed to travel relative to speed of queing cars but I can't remember what the speed was?
(I'm not a biker, just did CBT for the experience, because 2 friends were doing it).

;o)

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 25/02/2008 at 16:44

Filtering on a motor bike - J Bonington Jagworth
"filtered up a dual carriageway"

I do this at home-time quite often, but I really don't enjoy it. There are traffic lights at the end of the stretch, where either lane can be occupied, and drivers often switch at the last minute. I drive too, and am well aware how easy it is to forget to look in both mirrors - one of the reasons I have loud horns on the bike!
Filtering on a motor bike - Westpig
someone up above said about riding in France and how positive the comparison with riding here.... i'll echo that. Same for Spain. The people over there, as a majority, will try to help you along your way.

over here, some will actively try to hamper you, most don't have the faintest idea you're there and mimse on regardless and when they do realise are too damned thick to consider anything other than what they usually do...some will try to help you out e.g. move the electric mirrors if it's narrow at the head of a queue at the lights.

same for most other things here really
Filtering on a motor bike - Chrome
I ride bikes (road pedal cycles & motorcycles) too - being able to filter is one of the joys of having a motorbike! Never ever been in a traffic jam on a motorbike or held up by traffic, last year I rode through 15 miles of jammed up M6 right to the head of the Q. On my former commute of 17 miles through a busy town the pushbike took 60-80 mins, the car 30-50 mins and the motorcycle 20 mins whatever the traffic. On motorbikes you simply do not worry that it is rush-hour. Mine has a rather loud air-horn fitted to warn motorists who 'try to shut the door' on me whilst filtering, one honk on this soon clears the way. Don't get me wrong here - I love cars too, they are much safer and lovely when it is raining /icy/nightime, just think more people ought to give biking a try!
Filtering on a motor bike - DP
I have learned to expect anything from people in cars when confronted with a filtering bike. A friend of a friend was deliberately obstructed when filtering on the M25 last year. When she looked at the guy and shook her head, he leaned out of the window and punched her so hard in the ribs it knocked her off the bike. Thankfully a witness in the car behind extracted him from his car and pinned him to the bonnet until the police arrived.

There are some complete nutters on the road today, but thankfully they're in a real minority.

Cheers
DP
OK, so filtering is perfectly legal, even though not explained or sanctioned in the HC. So it obviously differs from undertaking, which of course would also be legal in slow moving traffic but not if you deliberately change lane in order to pass other traffic. But then again, perhaps creating your own private lane is not changing lane.

Just one final clarification please - can this new biker lane be created on either side of the car that is to be passed, or only on the offside? Can there be a bike filter lane on both sides perhaps? And if a biker rides up to the head of a queue waiting to fill up with petrol, is that called pushing in, or just filtering?
Filtering on a motor bike - Bromptonaut
Cliff,

I do this regularly on my push bike - High Holborn was solid at 16:30 this afternoon. Did nothing the HC prohibits, just kept my eyes skinned and chose the best line. Sometimes kerbside, mostly between the bus and main traffic lanes and finally offside for the last 100metres to the Proctor St junction.

While I can see the problem in the filling station I'm lost to understand what he car driver looses on the road.

Please can you explain?
Filtering on a motor bike - Harleyman
Regarding the fuel queue, that's just bad manners, unless he'd nipped up to use one which cars could not access due to congestion. If I do this I always push the bike forward of the pump once I've finished filling up, so that the next user is not impeded.

Mr. Pope, I do hope I'm mistaken but reading between the lines it seems that you resent the fact that someone else is getting home before you are. It's an advantage of riding a motorcycle, just as staying warm and dry is an advantage of travelling by car.
Mr. Pope I do hope I'm mistaken but reading between the lines it seems that
you resent the fact that someone else is getting home before you are. It's an
advantage of riding a motorcycle just as staying warm and dry is an advantage of
travelling by car.

Don't try and filter between the lines. :)
I don't resent bikers doing it at all. When I lived in London I did it all the time on a pushbike. I simply wanted to know what the legal position is, as there does not appear to be any very clear sanction for the practice, eg in the HC. Obviously bikers' guides encourage it, (with caution) - they would say that, wouldn't they?
It just struck me as curious that with official disapproval of undertaking, even though arguably a safe and sensible practice in other countries, the much more erratic practice of weaving a bike up lanes of traffic, crossing lanes to find the best gaps, should apparently be OK.

BTW cars can filter too in certain circumstances. At the approach to some roundabouts the lanes widen out, and you sometimes get people trying to start new lanes by squeezing the legitimate ones over a bit. This is especially true where there are only two lanes, which tend to get used for left or right, but there is a strong demand to go straight ahead. Drivers often straddle the lane marking, sometimes "booking" the space well before the roundabout. The HC does not say anything about that either, but in principle it would appear similar to bike filtering.
Just one final clarification please - can this new biker lane be created on either
side of the car that is to be passed or only on the offside? Can
there be a bike filter lane on both sides perhaps?

It's wherever possible - however, IMO, it's down to the rider to "do the right thing". If he causes a crash, or any inconvenience to others himself, then he's beyond the pale. If someone he's passing causes the problem, the same applies to them. "Caution" is the word (as well as politeness). Consider - if someone on a motor cycle gets ahead of you in traffic, and they're riding something capable of the legal limit (and a bit) for that road, you will probably never see them again!
And if a biker rides up to the head of a queue waiting to fill up with petrol is that
called pushing in or just filtering?

That's downright rude, contrary to good form, and the same sanctions ought to be applied to that person as to any other cheat.

Somewhere like level crossing gates is interesting - at these, if I'm first in th queue in my car, I leave a bit of space in front - either people on motorbikes will use the space - OK - or if not, I will use it to get a "rolling advantage" when the barriers rise. V. useful in multi-lane approaches to level crossings!
In the interests of balance, re bike vs. car filtering. I was stationary in the car at the front of a temporary traffic light, left a sensible gap before the 'please wait here' sign to allow for large vehicles oncoming etc. - anyway, matey boy in old Mondeo overtakes (sorry, filters) line of traffic up to me & plonks himself in front me & of 'please wait here' sign. I was genuinely speechless.
Filtering on a motor bike - AlastairM
Sorry WB but cars can't really filter so the monduno was merely being typically car driverish putting himself first.

Thanks to all car drivers who adjust their position to allow good progress to be made, I do try to acknowledge this. I have been known to -nod the head, wave a hand, wave a foot, lift fingers -which I use depends on circumstances.
Please wait here signs are nearly always in the wrong place. They don't really mean "here", they mean somewhere further back. So they are invitations to the selfish or pedantic to do exactly what the sign says.
Filtering on a motor bike - doug_r1
At our local Tesco filling station I'll queue if there's solid line of cars, but if the front pump is empty and the rear one is still filling up I'll jump the queue. I only ever need 10 litres so I'll be filled up and paid before the other car has finished filling. Effectively I've not slowed the queue at all, and made it shorter by not taking a wasted space.
Filtering on a motor bike - Bilboman
All comes down to three fundamental aspects of driving which are, sadly, being eroded over time: courtesy, discipline and safety. In a queue or traffic jam I always stop far enough behind the car in front to see "tyres and tarmac": this allows me to pass the car if it stalls, and I can move left or right to make space for a motorbike or emergency vehicle. The action of moving left or right usually alerts other drivers, too.
A motorbike uses less fuel, occupies less space and makes better progress, and I am happy to let a biker through - the almost universal wave or shake of the foot or pip of the horn as a thankyou always raises a smile. Cyclists are less predictable and far less disciplined but are usually in and out and on their way in seconds.
The class "system" is ever present in driving in Britain and far too many drivers feel innately superior to others, especially those on two wheels. Remember the Two Ronnies sketch "I'm upper class, and I look down on him..." ?
Filtering on a motor bike - OldSock
Bilboman - whilst I would agree with most of your post, the 'class sketch' pre-dates The Two Ronnies and appeared on That Was The Week That Was (or was it The Frost Report??) :-)

"I know my place"
Filtering on a motor bike - moonshine {P}

I always check for filtering motorbikes, especially during the rush hour on dual carriageways. I also do what ever I can to assist them by giving a bit more room or leaving a big enough space so they can pull in front of me if needed.

I generally find that bikers have much better manners than car drivers, more often than not you get some sort of acknowledgement to say thank you.

I'm all for having more bikes on the road and see no problem with them filtering or pulling in front of me at traffic lights. They dont hold me up, so there's no reason to get up tight about it.

I think what many people fail to realise is that if those bikers drove cars instead we would have more congestion, for the obvious reason of there being more cars on the road.
Filtering on a motor bike - Bilboman
Thanks for the correction, OldSock. Placed the faces, but couldn't quite place the series (In my defence, I was but a babe in arms when Geoff Hurst popped that third goal in...)
Curiously enough, the name of the sketch says it all - "I know my place!". No one seems to know their place any more; everyone wants to get in front at any cost; and, if everyone gets to thee front, we all end up where we were at the start!
Filtering on a motor bike - shawad
Motorcycle Roadcraft (which is the police bikers bible) mentions filtering to make progress, but firmly puts the onus for safety and giving way to traffic changing lanes on the motorcyclist.

Too often I see car drivers legally and correctly changing lanes only to find a motorcyclist flying down the middle getting irate at the car driver for daring to change lanes without checking the 'invisible' one in the middle. As others have said, trying to spot a motorbike coming down the middle of slow moving traffic in the dark is next to impossible.

The worst offender I've ever seen was a motorcyclist on the M9 when the other traffic was doing 55mph he came hurltling down the middle of the road doing 70+ - a Darwin award in the making...