Yet more cameras - CGNorwich
According to the BBC website a new camera is to be trialled in Leeds to check how many people are in a car. It is proposed to use this to monitor car sharing lanes, a concept the government is keen to expand upon because it is cheaper than building roads. The camera apparently works by detecting water and blood content and is to be used to detect cars with a single occupant. Apparently in the US it is common to carry a dummy passenger or large dog to cheat the system and our government is keen to avoid similar abuse of the rules here.
Yet more cameras - Big Bad Dave
"or large dog"

What does one do with the large dog when one arrives at work?
Yet more cameras - rtj70
I wonder how it would detect the passenger being in the back say behind the driver?
Yet more cameras - P.Mason {P}
I haven't heard before of a camera that detects water and blood content.. wouldn't a heat detecting sensor be more practical, like the ones used by the police helicopters?
P.
Yet more cameras - Morris Ox
Proof at last - I always said speed cameras were nothing more than blood, sweat and tears.
Yet more cameras - zookeeper
my local" one man outfit" butcher will be chuffed ,all that offal swilling around in his van should please the cameras no end !
I think it works on infra red. - see Guardian article

Scientists have invented a roadside camera that can count the number of people inside a moving vehicle. The technology could be used to catch lone motorists who abuse congestion-easing car-share lanes.

These lanes give priority to vehicles carrying at least one passenger, but can be misused by solo drivers who hope they will not be seen. Some even place human-like dummies in the seat beside them to create the illusion of a passenger.

The new Dtect system, which rapidly projects an infrared scan through a vehicle's windscreen, can distinguish human skin from mannequins, dogs or other diversions. Its inventors hope it will be in use before the end of the year.
Yet more cameras - J Bonington Jagworth
"projects an infrared scan through a vehicle's windscreen"

But doesn't glass 'capture' IR, as in greenhouses?
Yet more cameras - Lud
'What does one do with the large dog when one arrives at work?'

Dress it in its uniform and stand about with other chaps and their large dogs sniffing the raiment of passers-by in North London tube stations on Friday evenings?

Edited by Lud on 25/02/2008 at 14:26

Yet more cameras - GroovyMucker
"The camera apparently works by detecting water and blood content"

BLUFF
will it detect all the foreign blood and water hiding in lorries coming in to england via dover?
Yet more cameras - tack
How apposite that there is great debate over DNA. Here we are arguing over whether everyone should be compelled to supply their DNA to solve crimes (serious or otherwise), yet the whole panoply of State or a local authority can be put into play to catch someone ignoring multi-occupancy rules on the highway.

What on earth are we doing?

Mosquito buzzing to annoy anyone under 25 walking past a local off-license
CCTV everywhere,
Voices blaring out from hidden speakers berating you for picking your nose and flicking the resulting bogey on the pavement,

Yet more cameras - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have just found, but am unable to post a link to, an article which says that there 4,285,000 CCTV cameras in UK which is 20% of the world total! As a motoring link I can add that some of these are set up to provide surveillance of speed cameras, protection from vandalism
Yet more cameras - jmaccyd
I can see where it all leads, a common design of clothing worn by all, re-education camps and a book 'My Struggle' by A N Politician that has to be learnt off by heart. Perhaps throw in some book burnings and torch light parades while where at it!
The camera apparently works by detecting water and blood content"

BLUFF

Don't think so - according to a spokesman

"Tyrer and his team turned to multi-spectral imaging, which can capture light from frequencies invisible to the human eye, such as infra-red. Blood, hair and water content give human skin its own unique signature, distinct from car furniture, pets and anything else that might be in view."

There is no hiding place!
Yet more cameras - Alby Back
Once again another system which completely fails to acknowledge the needs of a large number of people. Not all drivers are regular, same route / time commuters with the potential to share vehicles or possibly use alternative forms of travel. Many reps, service engineers, self-employed sales agents etc. etc. etc. need to access city and town centres on a daily but ad hoc basis. They often need larger cars or vans to carry the equipment or samples and sundry kit required to do their jobs. Most service and consumer goods industries operate on the tightest of margins and are being squeezed from all directions by increases in fuel costs, parking fees, unreasonably short time spans available for parking, congestion charge in London etc. etc. This scheme further reduces their potential productivity by increasing journey times. This consistant woolly headed thinking by councils and other relevant authorities is undermining a whole chunk of society who are directly able to help to generate business activity in the very locations they are being persecuted out of. This will lead to even more urban economic degeneration.
Yet more cameras - Dipstick
How very disconcerting. Mrs D often travels in the back and there is nobody in the front passenger seat.
Yet more cameras - Jonathan {p}
How very disconcerting. Mrs D often travels in the back and there is nobody in
the front passenger seat.

Two other scenarios come to mind also.

Parent with (occupied) rear facing child seat somewhere else in car.

Limosine with privacy glass between driver and passenger compartments.

How can you appeal against tickets?
will empty buses driving around during off peak times be penalised too?
Yet more cameras - Harleyman
How about this one, I swear it's true.

Couple of years ago I did some HGV driving work for a firm who supply the masts for CCTV cameras. Easy job, I drive to site, set up crane, lift mast off lorry and position on four mounting bolts concreted into base, pack crane up and away.

Went to a roadside location near Mirfield, West Yorkshire. Whilst setting job up I idly asked the workmen what the camera was for. Turns out it was for a CCTV camera to maintain 24/7 surveillance on the Gatso 50 yards away which had suffered a spate of "necklace" attacks.

A camera to watch a camera. Where will it end?

Edited by Webmaster on 24/02/2008 at 22:56

Some cameras are also deployed to check on fly tipping - presumably people come by car or van to dump their trash? One council has just been given £650,000 to do DNA and fingerprint chex on dumped stuff. Think how many real life traffic policemen that would pay for!
Yet more cameras - Kiwi Gary
On a road with a bus lane that I use regularly, I recently spotted, on several occasions, a gentleman with a movie camera on the kerb. The local paper reported that parking wardens had been tasked with monitoring the bus-only lanes during rush-hours, using the movie cameras to collect evidence.

On another ocasion, on a road about a mile long but notorius for its propensity to jam in rush hour, a group of students keeping fit during vacation time would, for a small fee, offer to be the second and third person in a car so that it could use the high-occupancy lane. Having alighted at the end of the high-occupancy lane, they would run back to the start and offer the service again. The council tax-collectors were displeased.
Excellent KG. I so enjoy hearing about people giving the finger to mindless authority
Yet more cameras - Leif
On another ocasion on a road about a mile long but notorius for its propensity
to jam in rush hour a group of students keeping fit during vacation time would
for a small fee offer to be the second and third person in a car
so that it could use the high-occupancy lane. Having alighted at the end of the
high-occupancy lane they would run back to the start and offer the service again. The
council tax-collectors were displeased.

Given a road with multiple occupancy lanes in both directions, I could make a nice living as a professional passenger. Add a laptop, and one would have a mobile office, with an income.
Yet more cameras - Collos25
They are going to be used on the revamped section of the M606,62,621 which are having a seperate lane put in for two or more people in the car.If anybody knows this section of the M62 then you will understand what a complete waste of money and will only cause more chaos at a cost of millions.I suppose you could always by a oint of blood and keep it in the glove box.
Yet more cameras - Snakey
It never fails to amaze me the lengths and expense this government will go to to persecute ( or tax) motorists in a new way!

Pity they don't use this sort of technology to search for missing persons/convicts on the run/missing database CDs etc etc...
Hear Hear Snakey! It is clear that the activities that you think this technology should be applied to cost money and don't make money - thus it isn't ever going to happen!
Fair, if a little politically incorrect comment from the ABD

Nigel Humphries, spokesman for the Association of British Drivers when asked his views on the cameras said: 'We haven't got enough road space in this country for multiple occupants, buses, cyclists and three-legged dwarfs. You'd actually be prioritising school-run mums, and I thought we didn't want to prioritise them. '