Speed limiter and cruise control - Paul531
I'm in the market for a 'newer' car {mine's from the 1990s}.

I've driven many a car with cruise control but wot does a 'speed limiter' do?

Looked on var websites but all they say it 'limits top speed'.

All the cruise contol equiped cars i've driven do that anyway?

The car I'm looking at has both speed limiter and cruise control.

Plus it has an auto parking brake with hill start assist.

Do they work well?

I managed without them just fine all these years.

Sounds v expensive if things go pear shaped?

Ta
Speed limiter and cruise control - fray bentos
Cruise control; You set the speed,and the car travells at that speed.

Speed limiter; you set the maximum speed at which you wish to travel, and you can move at any speed you wish (by using the pedal) up to the level that you previously set. Excellent for avoiding speed cameras,I use mine all the time!.

Speed limiter and cruise control - 1066
i have cruise ans speed limiter and auto parking with hill start assist.
very useful toys to have. auto parking brake is great and applies brakes when you turn off the engine and when you apply it manually you don't have to release it as it releases itsself when you pull off. hill start allows you time to get off the foot brake and pull off without sliding backwards.
Speed limiter and cruise control - colinh
Found the modern cruise controls are more accurate in maintaining set speeds even downhill. We have a lot of 5% ascents/descents on the motorways locally, and the Golf control will maintain speeds to within +/- 1 kph when checked by GPS. Gives the impression of a braking effect (perhaps it is?), almost, going downhill.
Speed limiter and cruise control - henry k
>>Paul531
>>Looked on var websites but all they say it 'limits top speed'.
>>All the cruise contol equiped cars i've driven do that anyway?

>>fray bentos
>>Cruise control; You set the speed,and the car travels at that speed.

Eh. NO. My cruise control tries to maintain the speed selected BUT will exceed that speed on downhill roads.

>>colinh
>>Found the modern cruise controls are more accurate in maintaining set speeds even downhill.

I have no idea how you determine what varient is fitted on any model unless the bumpf really spells it out.
Speed limiter and cruise control - midlifecrisis
I've got a speed limiter on my car. Works well, but it's a very odd feeling. Feels like dragging a big anchor behind you.

I don't use it much. But when I visit my parents in Greater Manchester, it's very useful to avoid the masses of speed cameras in the Tameside area.
Speed limiter and cruise control - ijws15
I have not driven a car with cruise control that limits top speed.

They will not accelerate on the flat but will exceed the set speed downhill.

I would expect a speed limiter to prevent that.

Speed limiter and cruise control - midlifecrisis
Cruise control and speed limiter are two separate entities.

(At least they are on my Peugeot)
Speed limiter and cruise control - David Horn
I have not driven a car with cruise control that limits top speed.
They will not accelerate on the flat but will exceed the set speed downhill.
I would expect a speed limiter to prevent that.

I wouldn't. It won't apply the brakes for you, but with (presumably) a fly-by-wire throttle it will limit the speed by setting a cut-off point at which further pedal travel is ignored.

The cruise control on my Accord physically moves the accelerator pedal to hold a set speed. On gentle gradients it's fine, but it can't apply the brakes so you're limited to engine braking. I imagine the situation is the same with the speed limiter.
Speed limiter and cruise control - tack
Having been the recipient of 3 points recently, I use my limiter ALL the time. Can easily over-ride it by jamming go pedal to the floor very sharply if needed.

Mind you, you have to be very sharp making your mind up when approaching lights and they go amber on you if you are at limit.
Speed limiter and cruise control - grumpyscot
If only speed limiters were available that had a password to change. It could easily solve the problem of the boy racers. Dad gives son a loan of the car, but first sets the speed limiter to 50mph and puts in a password so it can't be changed. You never know, insureres might even reduce premiums for adding on the brats if cars had such a system.
Speed limiter and cruise control - Dynamic Dave
Dad gives son a loan of the car but first sets the speed limiter to 50mph ....

Too dangerous IMHO. eg the 'brat' wouldn't be able to accelerate their way out of danger if they commited an overtaking manouver and then ran out of puff at 50mph.
Speed limiter and cruise control - grumpyscot
DD - You could say the same when they red line it at 120mph........