Will a main dealer trade down?? - Bumble
I am considering trading in my one year old automatic car for a cheaper manual car about 2 years old.

The price difference is probably going to be between £1000 and £1500.

Will a main dealer permit a transaction like this? It would mean giving me the manual car plus giving me money back.

Does anybody know if a dealer would entertain this scenario?

Many thanks

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 19/02/2008 at 20:46

Will a main dealer trade down?? - yorkiebar
Yes they will, but....

they will want/need to make money on the deal so dont expect to get as much money as you might think its worth!
Will a main dealer trade down?? - nick1975
i think this is quite unlikely.

selling to wholesale but buying retail, there no margin in this for the dealer

Edited by nick1975 on 19/02/2008 at 22:45

Will a main dealer trade down?? - yorkiebar
The dealer will have to "buy" the car for his stock. But will have to be a good price for him to be interested.

Its no different to selling a car to a dealer without buying anything from him. if the price/car is right he will do a "deal"
Thanks for the answers so far and I can see why you think that dealers would not be keen to do this unless they were paying below normal price.

But the way I look at it is that if they give me the normal trade-in price for my auto micra they will sell it at at a price ensuring a good profit, plus the manual car that they give me will have been bought in at a trade-in price much less than what they are deducting from the value of the Micra.

I'm getting confused myself now.

thanks for your help guys.
Will a main dealer trade down?? - ForumNeedsModerating
Not sure what the above respondents mean. The proposed transaction is simply the dealer buying a car & selling a car - the difference in price, i.e. that you're trading down is immaterial.

If the dealer sells cars of the type you're selling, it's a simple transaction. Whether or not he/she is interested in your car, per se, is another matter. The dealer will buy at trade & sell at retail - just as he/she is doing with the car you might buy. Many dealers will even get an underwritten value for your car & sell it on if they don't want it - standard business practice.

Will a main dealer trade down?? - AlastairW
Hi bumble. Where abouts are you? My local, respected independent dealer is always on the look out for late low mileage small autos such as your Micra.
If you are in the Northwest you may want to contact them:
www.highlanegarage.co.uk/home/default.asp

I have no relationship with them, but they are well regarded locally apparently.
Thanks everyone for your answers. I'll just have to get down to my local dealer and get it from the horses mouth.

btw AlistairW, thanks for the info but I'm in west Wales.

Many thanks.
Will a main dealer trade down?? - nick1975
My comment was really aimed at the OPs statement that

"The price difference is probably going to be between £1000 and £1500."

I just cant see a dealer doing this for this kind of sum