Focus II 1.6 lx - spacesaver or full size spare? - Mazda-Man
Well the deal on the above is done and our last decision concerns the spare supplied. It's an easy question I suppose but which should we go for? I'm inclined not to like spacesavers but it does give a lot more room in the boot and will be easier to change if/when the worst happens. The car won't be used for long/motorway runs much if at all so are there any other issues we should consider before deciding which to go for?

Thanks all!
Focus II 1.6 lx - spacesaver or full size spare? - madf
Had my first spacesaver tyre in Yaris. 3 months later had a puncture so fitted and used it.

Advantages: much lighter and easier to handle when fitting.

No complaints from me at all.
Focus II 1.6 lx - spacesaver or full size spare? - Robin Reliant
There will be more room in the boot with a spacesaver, but when you have filled it where are you going to put the full sized wheel after a puncture?

Edited by Robin Reliant on 19/02/2008 at 18:13

Focus II 1.6 lx - spacesaver or full size spare? - Fullchat
So what car did you go with in the end? Is it new or used? If its used then will you have a choice of spare? If you do I would opt for the space saver as it provides significantly more space in a marginally sized boot.
Went for an 07 plate 1.6lx in the end. Got it for £8.5k through Ford Direct with 2 year warranty unlimited mileage and 2 year AA breakdown cover, fully serviced and RAC inspected.

Good point about getting the removed full size wheel into the boot but that applies whatever we do. In fact the wife will be carrying tins of puncture repair 'gunk' to (hopefully) save her the bother of changing the wheel in the first place. Both dealers we've talked to have offered either as an option on their used Focus so it's up to us what we choose.

Edited by Mazda-Man on 19/02/2008 at 20:49

Focus II 1.6 lx - spacesaver or full size spare? - Fullchat
Have you seen the actual car yet? Let us know what you think of the delivered package.
Focus II 1.6 lx - spacesaver or full size spare? - bathtub tom
>>In fact the wife will be carrying tins of puncture repair 'gunk'

I'd suggest you carry a footpump, or electric pump instead. My experience of punctures is you rarely get a blow-out nowadays, more often a slow deflation over several days. A pump will allow you to drive somewhere else to let someone else get the dirty hands and do the hard work!
I also understand many places will not repair a tyre that's had 'gunk' in it.
Yes - tested it on Saturday morning - seemed pretty much spotless so, so far so good. Will let you know how it turns out though.

Re the gunk - she'll carry a compressor whatever else happens. Yes I'd heard that about some tyre places not being keen on the stuff - the stuff we have apparently inflates as well as seals flat tyres so if that's true, a tyre which is so badly holed the gunk won't fix it probably wouldn't be repairable anyway.