Insurance database - none
Came across a useful website this morning. It's askmid.com and is the motor insurance database. And my car isn't on it.
I renewed my insurance about a week ago (continuation) and the Post office have taken the premium from my bank. I phoned the PO this morning and they told me that I was insured, and that due to a computer 'glitch' or other (human ?) error, sometimes a car doesn't get linked to the database. Apparently the police are aware of this problem, and if a driver is stopped will contact an insurer before declaring a car uninsured.
So anyone not on the database, stopped by a ANPR check can expect a long wait whilst the officer copes with the automated answering system, and a few music tracks.

Insurance database - Chris M
In what way is it useful? IMO, for it to be useful, it needs to be accurate.

Two cars in our household, both insured (renewed last year, so plenty of time for it to register), but only one shows up as such.

Am I bovvered? Not really.
Insurance database - henry k
sq
If you are prepared to waste time talking to the BiB at an ever increasing number of ANPR checks than that is your choice.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 17/02/2008 at 15:31

Insurance database - yorkiebar
Not really sure how helpful it is though!

I have trade insurance which allows me to drive any (road legal) car. Do I have to check its on the mid database before I drive it?
Insurance database - Galaxy
As I have mentioned recently on another post, my courtesy car isn't on the MID.

I drove past an ANPR van Friday afternoon on my return from work, but I didn't get stopped. I wouldn't have been surprised, though, if I had have been.

Insurance database - cargone
i also have a trade policy but the thing is i went out in my car on saturday and drove past one of them yellow police vans parked up on the corner, the office looked towards me and got on his radio. i got a bit further down the road and there was a police car parked up as i got past it it pulled out and was 2 cars behind me i just thought nothing of it as i am insured and thought the car behind was going to get a pull anyway goes to the asda with my girlfriend and our 3 children comes back down the the road were the police car and van was. got past without a problem the next minute i heard sirens so i looked into my mirror and saw flashing lights behind me so i just pulled into the left hand lane cos i though they wanted to get past me. the next minute they nearly rammed me side on and shouted get the pink fluffy dice key out the ignition and throw them on the pink fluffy dice dash. i was out raged as i had my children in the car who was scared at the time. anyway they sat me in the police car and cautioned me for apparently taking chase, (dont think so) as i am insured and had my children in the car any way they said my car was not on the database and seized it. they did not get a recovery one of the offices drove it himself. he went screeching of in it with his foot to the floor. anyway just got confirmation of my insurance and i am going to try and get my car back today when i do i will be putting a complaint in about the officer who ragged my car to death, wish me look.

{Please OBVERSE the strict no swearing policy this site operates (link below) before posting again, or you may well find that future posts are deleted without warning!}

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33415

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/09/2008 at 13:30

Insurance database - Chris M
"If you are prepared to waste time talking to the BiB at an ever increasing number of ANPR checks than that is your choice."

Indeed I am. I'll just have to rely on old technology - a certificate of insurance. As the OP says, the BiB know the system isn't 100%.
Insurance database - Lounge Lizard
The great thing about the Insurance Database is that, for once, Traffic Police can spend their time doing something that is not perceived as harassing middle-class motorists. I'm defining 'middle-class' very widely; as anyone who is doing OK in life and paying their way.

I'm delighted to see Traffic Police ANPR cameras on the side of the road. Doesn't bovver me cos, like 10s of millions of others, I pay my way and don't drive around without insurance. I have not heard any complaints about this campaign in the media (apart from a few technical quibbles and 3rd-hand reports in BR).

Perhaps it should be clarified as to who is legally responsible for registering insured cars on the data-base.

Insurance database - Blue {P}
My Mondeo was insured on 16-02-08 and I was pulled over on the way home from town tonight, they did a check via the radio after stopping me and it came back as insured. I was quite impressed with that. Although I had carried the certificate with me anyway just in case, which I made sure I let him see as I think it helped ensure that I was let on my way by showing willing etc.

I'm quite good at passing the attitude test. :-)

Insurance database - Alan
According to the BBC a lot of uninsured people are fitting false east european number plates to get round the ANPR cameras.
Insurance database - movilogo
Is it not true that you are advised not to carry the certificate of insurance with you (even a photocopy) in the car?

If someone steals then they will immediately know where you live!

I don't think you can carry the certificate in your pocket without folding it too much.

Edited by movilogo on 18/02/2008 at 12:01

Insurance database - L'escargot
Is it not true that you are advised not to carry the certificate of insurance
with you (even a photocopy) in the car?
If someone steals then they will immediately know where you live!

My certificate just has my name, registration number, and names of people entitled to drive ~ no address.
Insurance database - Alby Back
Because I drive abroad quite a lot and some countries require it, I tend always to have my documents in the glovebox. The thought that they could be stolen has also occured to me so I have made two photocopies, one to leave at home and one with everything on it ( Insurance, V5, MOT, European Breakdown, passport details. etc.) reduced down to fit on one sheet of A4 which I keep folded up in my wallet. It's a bit hard to read but all you would really need to do is blow it up again on any photocopier. Having done all that I have of course, never had them stolen or had to produce them in this form or any other. However, I do also realise that the first time I was to risk leaving these shores without them that I would be stopped and asked for them within 10 miles of Calais. I also hide a little used but valid credit card in the car, which has in fact got me out of trouble more than once as despite my pedantry with the documents, I am more than capable of forgetting the whole wallet and regularly do.
Insurance database - henry k
>>..... so I have made two photocopies, one to leave at home
>>
Scan a copy and email it to youself. You can then retrieve it when abroad.
Also consider a copy of your passport. If you loose your passport I would expect supplying a copy /details should speed up a replacement.