06 - Steering wheel adjustment, not warranty work? - movilogo
I've got an issue with my 2006 Suzuki Ignis. While driving straight, the steering needs to be in tilt position about 10 degrees towards right.

There is no ther issue.

Went to dealer for a fix, but they say it needs adjustment for steering and not covered under warranty. So, if I want to get it fixed, I need to pay for it (appx £40)

I've sent an email to Suzuki asking for an explanation.

But what with other manufacturers? Isn't it a warranty claim?

{guess what I have added to the subject header because the 3 separate requests were ignored!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/02/2008 at 19:21

Steering wheel adjustment - not warranty work? - yorkiebar
has it been like this since new? Why have you only consulted them recently?

or since tracking or hitting a kerb etc?

Its only warranty work if its a manufacturing/servicing problem.

Steering wheel adjustment - not warranty work? - adverse camber
most likely its the tracking.

possibility that its some bush in the suspension - in which case it might be warranty
Steering wheel adjustment - not warranty work? - movilogo
It wasn't since new!

I noticed it recently. The car has been serviced just 2 weeks back by same dealer. They swapped front and rear tyres.

But they are saying it can't be for swapping tyres.

I didn't hit kerb or anything recently either.

Not sure if they check bushes during servicing. But there wasn't anything (other than usual stuffs) that was replaced during service.

Steering wheel adjustment - not warranty work? - maltrap
wait to see what suzuki customer services come up with,they can soon tell if you've kerbed it.has the car done many miles? if they don't come across tell them you're thinking of writing to newspapers,consumer groups etc.
Steering wheel adjustment - not warranty work? - yorkiebar
I would be interested how, if it has only recently happened, like a reason as to why it has just happened?

I dont see how it is a warranty problem if it was not there before and if its not a manufacturing problem or service issue.

If it was a bush etc then the steering would be pulling rather than just sitting at a different angle.

Sounds to me more like a bent something issue. Sorry if I am supporting the dealer on this against the wishes of the op (I dont support dealers very often). But I cant see any reason (without the benefit of looking at the vehicle in detail) why it would be a warranty issue/problem.

Steering wheel adjustment - not warranty work? - RichardW
It needs a tracking adjustment, that will never be covered by warranty. It was almost certainly cuased by one of the (many) potholes that now abound. Take it to National or somewhere and they'll adjust it for £20 - if there is anything wrong that might be warranty they'll advise, and you can take it back to Suzuki. You wouldn't expect the warranty to cover a puncture would you?

"if they don't come across tell them you're thinking of writing to newspapers,consumer groups etc"

For a 20 quid tracking adjustment???? The world's going mad....

Edited by RichardW on 12/02/2008 at 17:06

The mileage is only 13k. I have not recently been thru any new roads either.
If it is really due to potholes etc. then it is probably not worth paying for adjustments - as it can happen again.
There is no other issue. Car isn't pulling to side (unless I try to keep the steering dead straight).
Let's see what Suzuki says.

So basically what's the problem? Dealer said it would take 0.5-1.0 hour.
But a £20 job doesn't appear that complex!
An update:

Suzuki customer service said that they wouldn't cover it under warranty unless the car is less than 12 months old! This is because sometimes car's alignment is lost on transit and often dealers do it for free once during first 12 months of ownership.

I got the tracking adjusted from local KwikFit for £27.95 [Suzuki dealer asked £35.50 + £4 fuel cost for traveling to them]

It's much better now - though I still feel it has slight tilt even after fixing. However, I decided to ignore that bit :)

Steering wheel adjustment - not warranty work? - bimmer-driver
My Ibiza has started pulling to the left ever so slightly. I just put it down to speed bumps and heavily cambered roads as it tracks arrow-straight.