Courtesy Car Insurance Problem and ANPR - Galaxy
I had the misfortune to be involved in an accident in my own car a couple of weeks ago, and it's now in the bodyshop being repaired. As I'm entitled to a courtesy car under my own insurance conditions the bodyshop have kindly provided me with a small car, and it's insured under my own policy; this condition is clearly stated on my Certificate of Insurance.

However, when I checked the insurance status of my courtesy car on the Motor Insurance Database (askmid.com) it shows up as being uninsured! On the main road that I use everyday to drive to work the police, quite rightly, are very active with their ANPR vans, I must see one at least once a week, either parked by the roadside or on one of the cross-over bridges.

So, can I assume that, if my courtesy car is picked-up by such an ANPR van then I am going to get stopped? When I discovered the insurance situation on the MID I telephoned my own insurance company about it, but, to be perfectly honest, they weren't tremendously helpful, and just told me to carry my Certificate of Insurance with me at all times while I am in possession of the courtesy car. I replied that, given the choice, I would rather not be stopped by the police, it's a lot of hassle, couldn't they just put a note on the MID to the effect that the car is temporarily insured, but they said that they couldn't do that.

The insurance company did say, however, that if the police do put the courtesy car registration number into the MID then they will see more information "than you can see on the internet" but wouldn't elaborate further.

Has anyone else been in this position when they have had a courtesy car from a garage?

Has anyone been stopped for having an apparently uninsured courtesy car?

Does anyone know anything more about the "extra" information that organisations like the police can apparently obtain from the Motor Insurance Database?

Many Thanks,

Galaxy

Courtesy Car Insurance Problem and ANPR - nortones2
Not sure of the detail, but many corporate vehicles are not insured for damage through conventional insurance, but the requirements for 3rd party insurance must still be met. MIB leaflet: www.miic.org.uk/documents/FFP/FFP_MID_Motor_Trade_...f

If the registration was not on the MID system, it may not have been updated, or they may have no insurance cover.... Either way, ANPR might get you!
Courtesy Car Insurance Problem and ANPR - PoloGirl
But from the sound of what you've written, the car is insured, and you can prove that if stopped.

I'd find something else to occupy my mind with, to be honest.

Courtesy Car Insurance Problem and ANPR - NARU
You have insurance and can prove it. I think its unreasonable to expect the insurance company to add the car to the MID. I don't understand your concern - the worst is that you'll be slightly delayed whilst you show your documents?
Courtesy Car Insurance Problem and ANPR - rtj70
It ought to be insured third party by the bodyshop though.

As for large fleets, ours is self-insured with only third party liability covered by an insurance policy. But if I put my car reg in the MID it shows up and did from the day I got it brand new in October.