DIY servicing - bimmer-driver
Just given my car a service- and have to say it was a piece of cake. Can't have taken more than 45 mins and that included 10 mins finding the correct key for the sump plug. I was expecting the oil and air filters to be easy, but wasn't sure of the fuel filter as have heard about them needing to be bled etc but i couldn't have been simpler. Two quick release fitting and your away. It started straight away after, no cranking or anything. Well done SEAT! Although it does make me question why the main dealer wanted 200 quid for it.
How many on here still do all their own servicing?
DIY servicing - Rover25
I do my own servicing, but a Rover 25 isn't exactly difficult !
Not having a garage means that anything other than essential repairs wait until a dry day.
DIY servicing - Cyd
Always have (25 yrs) and still do.

Only things I've paid a garage to do:
gearbox rebuild
lower swivel joints on front suspension (couldn't undo front bearing nuts)
air con refill
DIY servicing - Soupytwist
Was this a diesel or a petrol Ibiza? I have a PD engined diesel Ibiza that I'm thinking of servicing myself (oil & filter, fuel filter & air filter). I had a fiddle with the fuel filter a few months back when I had a problem and it occurred to me that it can't be that difficult to change the fuel filter. The main thing I'm concerned about is taking off the undertray to do the oil change.
Even if I decide I can't get manage the oil & filter (or just decide it's too much like hard work) I notice that National Tyres are doing a 505.01 compliant oil change for £37 which seems pretty good value.
DIY servicing - Rover25
"The main thing I'm concerned about is taking off the undertray to do the oil change."

You could consider using a vacumn device to suck the oil out. The pro's and con's of doing so have been discussed in here before.

DIY servicing - oilrag
I use a vacuum device and cut service holes in an undertray once, when access had to be from below for the oil filter.

I`m aching a bit after doing both cars last weekend, but that`s what you get i guess as time goes on and not being used to physical work.

At least you know you have handled the new paper oil filter element with new latex gloves and not got the engine road grit onto it from the previous gloves that took the filter housing off.

and so on....the advantages of DIY, quality work, with no time constraints to achieve that.

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 11/02/2008 at 16:51

DIY servicing - bimmer-driver
Yes its a 1.4 tdi PD engine. On mine there were about 8 star bit screws to remove the undertray and it then just pulls off. Undo sump plug, let oil drain while you change air filter. To change fuel filter all I did was remove inlet and outlet pipes, remove from housing, drop in new one and reconnect. Unscrew oil filter housing, pop in new one and your away.
One of the main reasons I did it myself was to make sure the correct PD oil was used as I plan to keep this for a while.
DIY servicing - madf
Yes.
106 diesel for last 11 years.
Yaris diesle intermediate oil and filter changes and brake fluid change.

Yaris is easier to work on as it has not been designed by a Frenchman.