2004 130 tdci - engine temp inconsistent - teldiyboy
Over the last few months I have noticed that the temp gauge will only register a normal temp (midway on the gauge about 90 degrees) when the car is driven hard (i.e. climbing a hill) and when I drive at a more gentle pace or coast down a hill the temp gauge drops to about 65 to 70 degrees. I suspected the thermostat and have replaced it with no change in symptoms. I am now beginning to suspect the water pump is not working although the power steering is ok, and this is used to drive the water pump by a spline shaft connection. My problem is that, if the water pump failed, I would expect the engine to overheat and in my case the temp never rises above midway on the gauge. The other effect from this is a drop of about 5mpg. Has anybody out there suffered similar symptoms or had a water pump replaced due to the above?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/02/2008 at 13:30

2004 mondeo 130 tdci engine temp inconsistent - cheddar
Mine will sit at just under mid way on the motorway though will drop back to below a quarter when trolling around.

2004 mondeo 130 tdci engine temp inconsistent - mr mca
There are two thermostats on this engine, one is the usual coolant thermostat and the other is for the oil cooler, I had this same problem on my 130, changed usual thermostat made no difference, changed the oil cooler thermostat and it's fine now.
Engine temp gets up to half way in less than a mile and stays there when trolling round or when on motorway.
The oil cooler thermostat is on the water pump itself, you will have to remove the inlet manifold to get to it, but it's easy to do other than that.
Hope this helps.
2004 130 tdci - engine temp inconsistent - itsgibbo
Hi,
I'v been having exactly the same problem. The thermostat has been changed also with no change. I even paid £80 to Ford for a diagnostic check which came back with no reports. My car is in the garage right now getting the tempreture gauge sender changed as I was told that this could be the problem.

Did you change the oil cooler thermostat and did it work?

As you can imagine I've been pulling my hair out over this, especially giving ford £80 for nothing.

Thanks
2004 130 tdci - engine temp inconsistent - GingerTom
mr mca is correct. There was a long thread about this problem on a Mondeo forum a while ago where someone had this problem and finally he found out about the 2nd thermostat and had a right game convincing the dealer to change it. Eventually when all else failed it was changed and cured the problem.

Just beware of the cost if you get a Ford dealer to do it out of warranty because they will regard it as quite labour intensive.

The guage on my 2.2 takes a few miles to get to half way but then stays there all day.