Another Fifth Gear Thread [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to the next Volume *****

Obviously no one has noticed or commented it's back, so it must be just as bad as before.

I only caught the last 20 mins of last nights episode (was this the 1st one of the new series?) and saw from the mention in the paper of a shootout between a Lotus Carlton and the Vauxhall VXR8. Anyone know which car won? I suspect it was the latter, but will have to wait until Saturday's repeat to see the episode.

Edited by Webmaster on 26/08/2008 at 13:10

Another Fifth Gear Thread - De Smythe
The VXR8 won by (I think) a paltry 1.5 secs around the track. VBH waxed lyrical about the Carlton and it still does look a beast 17 years on.

Liked the feature about 2nd hand cars, this week the Imprezza, and also the Maserati review by Jason Plato was pretty good. Missed the 2 previous episodes so cannot comment on those. However, Tiff Needell is still there with his smugness turned up to 11 and what on earth has happened to VBH's complexion?!

Tom Ford I have always found to be amusing but appear to be in the minority on this. The skinny bloke with comedy sideburns is okay but only really gets my vote for mentioning in the last series that he is a Gary Numan fan.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - bathtub tom
Wot! No mention of the Exeter trial. I thought it was a good piece of reporting for the limited space it had.
I do declare an interest.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - De Smythe
Wot! No mention of the Exeter trial. I thought it was a good piece of
reporting for the limited space it had.

Yes, you are quite right! A bit like "old skool" Top Gear with Tony Mason. Great to see all those old cars getting put to good use and ploughing through the mud. Those with concours aspirations obviously need not apply
Another Fifth Gear Thread - Altea Ego
Have to say, the exeter trial was a good item. I quite fancy having a crack at that.

The idea of putting a big heavy 3.6litre 17 year old car against a brand new lighter 6litre around a race track was wrong. I am glad the big old Lotus put up such a good show.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - Pugugly {P}
There's some video of it on the 5th gear website.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - Big Bad Dave
"Have to say, the exeter trial was a good item. I quite fancy having a crack at that."

I'll do it with you next year. Double double dare you. What would you drive?
"Have to say the exeter trial was a good item. I quite fancy having a
crack at that."
I'll do it with you next year. Double double dare you. What would you drive?

A skoda estelle.
"A skoda estelle"

You're on your own
Another Fifth Gear Thread - Shaz {p}
I thought it was quite good. Loved the Lotus Carlton, put up a vey good fight, although looked like it changed direction well, but also appeared to be a softer setup).
I have a soft spot for the vxr too - I like the thought of a back to basics, oldish tech, cut price (compared to M5) super saloon.

Didn't know the Carlton was heavier then the VXr though?
I really enjoyed it - everything a car programme should be, proper tests and what appeared to be a totally unstaged romp in the Exeter Time Trial by Tom Ford and the skinny bloke, no stupid antics, no "personalities" promoting their books in depth looks at proper cars including a critique of the new Maserati Grand Turisimo (a proper, proper car). I think they bring it off rather well, the skinny bloke knows his cars and likes old ones - nobody remembers his name, so he obviously not a puffed up egotist, I like Tom Ford's sort of left-field look at cars, Tiff - is well Tiff and adds a certain something to the programme.....VBH love her or hate her has petrol in her veins and a proper pedigree in motoring - dodgy cameras apart the setting in the ACE Cafe is about right, well its better than a farm shed with a dodgy looking audience looking lovingly on waiting to be insulted.

Oh whilst on the subject of the Exeter Time Trial, I was drawn to this as a youngster, glad to see its still alive and thriving.

Oh and Ty Croes - a lovely circuit used to its full advantage by those lovely Vauxhalls.

I watch it, I enjoy it more than most of the rubbish on the telly at the moment.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 05/02/2008 at 20:13

"so it must be just as bad as before"

Not at all.

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the Lotus Carlton stuff and loved the Devon Trials thing. Wouldn't mind doing that in an old Jag or something utterly inappropriate like an early Lexus LS. I think it runs rings around Top Gear at the moment, none of that silly Hollywood 007 stunt driving nonsense that took up so much of last week's show. Interesting stuff about that "chip-fat" Mercedes. Well worth catching again on Saturday. The Maserati was gorgeous. Wasn't interested in the convertible Audi article but that was the only dreary item.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - R40
Arranged to meet a friend at The Ace last week without knowing it was on a Fifth Gear filming day. Other than the car park being closed off everything else was as usual. All seats available, TV crew and presenters everywhere, seats set out on the 'veranda' so you could sit or stand and watch the filming.

Very relaxed, very friendly and very much an old skool real car show. More power to their elbow I say..................... ;)

Edited by R40 on 06/02/2008 at 09:02

Another Fifth Gear Thread - DP
The Lotus Carlton remains very much in my lottery win garage. It still looks absolutely stunning 17 years on, and would still wipe the floor with pretty much anything you're likely to encounter in day to day motoring.

It's also one of those cars that makes me wonder how fast/economical today's cars would be with modern engine technology and the kerbweights that existed in the Carlton's day.

Cheers
DP
Another Fifth Gear Thread - bathtub tom
>>I'll do it with you next year. Double double dare you. What would you drive?

I'd suggest you join a local club that does trials first. The wealth of experience could save an awful lot of frustration, and would give you an opportunity to enter a few club events first. I've found them a friendly lot who are only too willing to help.
Err No.

you completely miss where BBD is coming from (apart from poland where he wont have the chance to join a local club and meet them)

Is a take a week off, pay your money, turn up in a shed that barely meets the minimum requirements, no experience, and have a crack.
Polish roads are one big trials practise

So we're on then AE? You can drive.
Polish roads are one big trials practise
So we're on then AE? You can drive.

Dave - you get us a Trabant, and I will enter us and drive.
"Trabant"

Good thinking. I'll bring the car and the vodka.

Don't let me down. Never got my WOTW tickets.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - Billy Whizz
I went production car trialling in my specially modified 875cc Hillman Imp for a couple of years in the mid-90's. We were on a tight budget and the car was always breaking (esp. rubber driveshaft doughnuts) or just breaking down. When it was running it was good fun but often ended miserably. I learnt to love mud.

With hindsight the events were just too difficult for the car which was underpowered and did not have enough ground clearance (small wheels). The 1303 Beetles were much more capable. It is amazing how far up a steep farm track you can get a car stuck in the pouring rain.

I was a member of Camel Vale Motor Club a.o. who organised events in beautiful settings. AFAIR, we only finished one major event, the Exmoor Clouds Classic. It was a rare privilege to drive along those long forgotten highways and byways.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - ForumNeedsModerating
Yes, agree with most of the +ve comments here. I think 5thG must have taken on-board some of the comments on this site on the last series! It's now a neat amalgum of useful stuff on the mundane motors most of us are likely to drive in our bread'n'butter lives, with a smattering of exotica driven sideways (mostly) by the Glam Boys. VBH is better in the role of 'proper' road test driver (albeit on Trac Mon - my local) , rather than that giggly-girl persona she experimented with last series - and she has got quite a classically stunning profile. I find her lack of make-up & chuck-on-the-first-clothes-to-hand-to-keep-warm style quite engaging.

The Exeter trial was fantastic - it makes those rather stagey & grandiose 'projects' that TG engages in look turgid, unspontaneous & over-edited. The only weak spot for me is Tiff - I use his pieces as commercial breaks & put the kettle on - why does he think it's so interesting to always drive a car sideways or judge a car on track-only levels of roadholding...
Another Fifth Gear Thread - 1066
fifth gear is getting better and tg has had its day as too much falsity and staging.

id never heard of the Exeter trials before but now i really fancy having a go. maybe an sj410 would be a good idea. any idea how you sign up for it
Another Fifth Gear Thread - madf
Having been rude about past episodes, I watche dthis one. I actually enjoyed it. Some real world stuff.

Far better than TopGrumps sorry I means Carp I mean Gear...

The Exeter trial was brilliant.

I'll watch again - (never thought I'd say that)
Another Fifth Gear Thread - daveyjp
I watch the beginining, see what's on then watch the parts which I might be interested in. The Exeter Trial provided a good insight, but filming at night, from inside a car with bad headlights lighting the way doesn't tell you much.

I also saw the Audi A3 cabrio report which didn't say much. I didn't see the the taxi crash as result was a given, Maserati test or Vauxhall race.
filming at night from inside >> a car with bad headlights lighting the way doesn't tell you much.

Its tells you everything you need to know! That was tough driving.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - oldgit
AT LAST, people are coming around to my view of this show. It's way ahead of that ghastly BBC offering, in that FG is about cars with a bit of glamour thrown in. If they'd only get rid of the pink fluffy dice camera work and silly tints then it would really be the ONLY motor programme worth watching - good luck to them.
I like Tom Ford and that 'skinny' bloke -seems a nice chap and humbly knowledgeable as well.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/02/2008 at 12:50

AT LAST people are coming around to my view of this show.

Nah sorry mate, we are sufferiung TG withdrawal symptoms

Stifff Needle (the failed racing driver) is an insufferable bore who's only claim to fame is that he can powerslide, so the whole show is normally about power slides.

VBH is trying to be girly and boyish at the same time. If she squeels one more time outside the bedroom I swear I will get her gagged.

Crash test a taxi? OH perleese what a waste of space.

They come up with two ideas in the last three years that was good, (and both happened in one show) and you think this is better than top gear? When was the last time you were crying and speechlsss with mirth while watching FG?

Hmmmm?
Another Fifth Gear Thread - b308
Can't remember the last time I was crying speechless watching TG either, anyhow I'd rather be informed about cars and motoring rather than watch three grown up kids purporting to present a motoring, (sorry), light entertainment, show......

There's only one reason to watch TG now, and thats to see Hamilton stuff Stig's "lap record" down his throat, now that would be worth watching!

Edited by b308 on 06/02/2008 at 11:45

Another Fifth Gear Thread - oldgit
>> AT LAST people are coming around to my view of this show.
Nah sorry mate we are sufferiung TG withdrawal symptom>>

Well, I expect then, that you are watching all those interminable repeats on the Dave digital channel?
Each type I look at the list of programmes on my TV's EPG I see all the TG repeats listed but honestly can't be bothered wasting my ageing eyesight watching them any more.
TG is like the curate's egg, I suppose - good in parts although the latter are very, very few and far between.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - CJay{P}
and what on earth has happened to VBH's complexion?!

Age, you can't beat it!
Another Fifth Gear Thread - Shaz {p}
Not usually a 5th Gear fan - but what a turn around!

They have made a decent show at last. Much better than the usualy Top Gear wannabee it used to be. Hope they keep this up! Even the young dodgey sideburn guy is beginning to be not so annoying. Didn't mind him in this weeks show, and VBH was also not as annoying.

Decent reviews this weak. I don't think there was a weak part to the show, liked all the reviews - pretty balanced.

I hope Top Gear bring back some reviews of normal cars.... I have to agree - too much staging now, nothing wrong with the odd challenge, but the are overdoing it a bit (understatment). Lets have more reviews of cars / comparisons.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - nick
Well, you've all persuaded me to have another look at this show. If only they'd get rid of Tiff 'wobbly head' Needell. Is this week's episode repeated? I think I'll record it so I can whizz through the far too frequent ad breaks. And TN powersliding.
Ah well glad you all came out of the closet anyway. I've always made time for it. The Golf GTi shoot out on their website is worth a look.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - El Hacko
there's room for both progs - 5th Gear seems to haves had a major refurb, is vastly improved and now merits its "1 hour" slot. Over the years TG has settled into a laddish chat show with occasional references to motoring. Don't want them to be similar!
Another Fifth Gear Thread - Dynamic Dave
Is this week's episode repeated?

Sat 9th Feb, 11:30am.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - isisalar
About 1986 I was driving a BMW 750I from Bracknell to north London In those days (no speed cameras) was travelling at about 120mph and a lotus vauxhall carlton approached my The Carlton was a big car and I doubt that even in the hands of the best medics you'd fit one in there - PU and decided he could go faster than me. This wasn't so and I'm sure to this day he still feels embarrassed about it Lovely

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 07/02/2008 at 06:52

Another Fifth Gear Thread - MichaelR
sq
I somehow doubt this given that:

a) The Lotus Carlton did not appear until the 90's
b) The BMW 750i has a noticeably lower top speed due to the electronic limiter

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 07/02/2008 at 06:50

Another Fifth Gear Thread - SteVee
I've been watching this series of 5th gear - I think this series is an improvement over the previous. I did like the exeter trial - I think the young skinny guy is actually a car enthusiast.
I too was bored by the maserati.

One of the more interesting long term features on this series is a test on a bluemotion polo: it's been given to the fat bloke's family to drive around in and see if it lives up to its miserly fuel consumption claims.

I also like their short review of two competing cars - this week it was a focus and an i30.

more motorcycles please - eg a review of owning a Fireblade against a caterham
Another Fifth Gear Thread - Group B
b) The BMW 750i has a noticeably lower top speed due to the electronic limiter

It also has a much lower power/weight ratio - 165bhp/ton versus 227bhp/ton in a Lotus Carlton.

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 07/02/2008 at 11:19

Another Fifth Gear Thread - DP
I have seen on-board video footage from a Lotus Carlton at Millbrook proving ground (up to an indicated 175 mph), and the acceleration is just incredible. I don't doubt it would dispatch a 750i without too much trouble. It's actually within 3 bhp per tonne of an E39 M5 which gives you an idea of just what a huge achievement this car was in its day.

I was drooling over one at the PistonHeads show. Apart from a hopelessly dated interior (complete with stick-on Lotus badge on a standard Carlton CD steering wheel), it still looks fabulous too.

I want one. Badly.

Cheers
DP

Another Fifth Gear Thread - Citroënian {P}
Have only seen the first episode of the new series as Sky+ is being a bit difficult about series linking but will watch this episode on Saturday's repeat.

First episode still had the classic camera on a pogo stick and no shot more than 2 seconds (count 'em) in a lot of the articles. Maybe I'm getting old but I can't be bothered with this or seeing the gurning lady and Wookie (who is good), out of focus and hidden by sauce bottles.

Perhaps good content being spoiled by someone with a happy edit finger and a digital editing suite.

Has anyone noticed Adrian thingy-ma-bob who used to be on this is now doing some Alan Partridge type stuff on Police! Camera! Action! on ITV94?
Another Fifth Gear Thread - 11th Feb - daveyjp
Well last night saw another episode - I watched some of the first half. Two vans on the track - that's useful (not). Comparison between the Materia and the Note - sort of interesting (Tom Mays comment when sat in the back of the Materia - I've got a good 4-5 inches behind you, raised an eyebrow with VBH).

A visit to an exec hire company, park three different cars outside Harrods and see how many people look at the cars and declare a 'winner'.

The long distance road test showed up 5th Gear as the weaker relative to Top Gear.
London to Poland on one tank in a 635 diesel in order to find cheap diesel to fill it up again - similar to Clarksons 800 miles in an A8, except the piece wasn't about how frugal the car was, but about finding cheap diesel!

The 5th Gear piece was boring. Shots of the driver in the car doing 56mph for hours on end then a splash of fuel in Berlin to get him to Poland, then a shot of him in some dodgy town in Poland and filling up where he paid only slightly less for diesel than he paid in Germany.

Must try harder.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/02/2008 at 12:46

Another Fifth Gear Thread - 11th Feb - Dynamic Dave
Regarding the trip to Poland. What was going on with the indicators on the 635D? Is it some kind of new fangled BWM thing where they behave like strobe lights instead of the traditional blink on & off?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/02/2008 at 00:47

Another Fifth Gear Thread - 11th Feb - Big Bad Dave
He filled up in Orlen, probably the most expensive chain in Poland, if he'd gone to Neste he would have paid much, much less. The exchange rate is dreadful at the moment, 4.7 zlots to the pound which kind of ruined his argument somewhat, had they shot the feature 18 months ago when it was closer to 6 he would have found himself paying more like 65p litre.

Irritating article, perpetuating myths of greyness. They should have travelled further in, driven the superior, empty and fast motorways and brimmed up in a major city. It's like writing about England after landing in Hull and getting straight back on the Ferry. What was that remark about seeing a woman drinking cider at a bus stop and a man pushing a pram with no baby in it? Don't see that in London do you? Much.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - 11th Feb - Pugugly {P}
When's the repeat ?
Another Fifth Gear Thread - 11th Feb - ForumNeedsModerating
This saturday early evening I think - either on 'vanilla' Five or or Five life.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - 11th Feb - Rhubarb
Tomorrow (Sat 16th) 11:00 to Midday on Five.

tinyurl.com/2ra497

Edited by Rhubarb on 15/02/2008 at 18:53

ta.
Another Fifth Gear Thread - 11th Feb - CJay{P}
Regarding the trip to Poland. What was going on with the indicators on the 635D?
Is it some kind of new fangled BWM thing where they behave like strobe lights
instead of the traditional blink on & off?

I think it is due to the various filters used in the camera - it distorts what we see. Top gear started this, and now fifth gear uses filters all over the place.
I enjoyed it again. Unlike TG I didn't fast forward through any bits. Check out the "Emotional Control Unit" in the Aston......wow....I want one.

A touch of longing for my old 535 when I saw the BMW 6 series thing.

Another Fifth Gear Thread - 17th Mar - Pugugly
Golf GTi - Subaru Imprezza, Jag XKF amongst the offerings. Wish I had a GTi - damn there's one parked outside !

Oh and buying a £1500.00 cool car without wanting to batter it to death in some "race"

Oh dear NASCAR racing for the punter at Orlando £200 for 10 laps....where's me passport ?....Where's my piggy-bank?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/03/2008 at 21:16

Another Fifth Gear Thread - 17th Mar - ndbw
Watching VBH driving the top Bentley tonight got the impression that her line of sight was barely over the top of the steering wheel,surely it has a height adjustable seat?.
Did anyone else get the same impression?.

ndbw

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/03/2008 at 21:18

Another Fifth Gear Thread - 17th Mar - Bouncy
Agree with you there ndbw. Even my nine year old noticed how low in the seat she was sitting. It would be interesting to watch her park the Bentley - visibility to the front would be very limited indeed.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/03/2008 at 21:18

Fifth Gear - Avant
The brings back memories of a common sight in Farnham in the 60s - a stately Daimler apparently driving itself. Mrs Darnley-Anderson, a colonel's wife, was only 5' tall and peered through the gap between the dashboard and the top of the steering wheel.
Fifth Gear - bathtub tom
There appeared to be an ever growing puddle of dark fluid from under the silver Fabio!
Fifth Gear - ForumNeedsModerating
It's getting better & better. Nicely paced, lots of interesting cars - and, as they said, some you might even end up driving one day. What was that 'Fabio' thing? Surely just another one for the enthusuast e-zine of 2015: 'Defunct British Sports Cars of the early 21st Century'.

Tiff N - easily the most least irritating he's been, getting genuinely enthused in Morris Minor technology with a 6L V8 engine. I'm sure VBH has been practising her classical profile just for me since I mentioned it some weeks back Shame it's the last in series next week.
Fifth Gear - Pugugly
Still drawn to the Jag - despite being a tortoise to the BMW's Hare. Very, very nice car deserves to do well.
Fifth Gear - Alby Back
Just the thing for a retired gentleman PU ;-)
Fifth Gear - Alby Back
The above comment is driven by pure envy you understand ! From other posts I have discovered that we are of the same model year but I can neither afford to retire or purchase a Jag. Hey Ho!

The new one is very very nice.
Fifth Gear - Pugugly
Not down to me being able to. I'm what "she" calls a Net Spender, whilst she is a Net Saver......

Edited by Pugugly on 18/03/2008 at 17:52

Fifth Gear - Alby Back
That explains it, there must be a hole in my net! ;-)
Fifth Gear - Westpig
PU,

You know it makes sense, you can't take it with you.
Fifth Gear - 24 March 08 - Round The Bend
Caught Fifth Gear for the first time in ages last night. Liked the piece from the Geneva Motor show with the scruffy lad trying to test the thickness of the metal on the new £1500 Tata!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/03/2008 at 09:51

Fifth Gear - 24 March 08 - Hamsafar
I thought that was really stupid and chavvy and he looked like a cocaine snorter, that's how they behave and so many people in the media do all that.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/03/2008 at 09:53

Fifth Gear - new series - maz64
on now (8pm to 9pm)
Fifth Gear - new series - madf
Gave up. worse than last series.
Wouldn't call it essential viewing, but quite enjoyed it. I prefer the more straightforward approach compared to Top Gear.

I thought the effort to improve the mpg of the 1.6 Polo was interesting - by fitting low rolling resistance tyres, chipping the engine (more performance = better mpg for the same speed) and ditching 12kg (replace space saver and jack with tyre weld aerosol) they decreased the mpg from 47 to 45 approx. This was measured by draining the tank, adding a gallon, then driving around a circular 2 mile bowl at an indicated 60mph for as far as possible.

Some points:

1. It rained for the second run - they said this would increase mpg because lower friction. But I thought moving water from under the tyres when driving on a wet road takes significant energy?

2. Distance measured using car's speedo. If the new tyres had more tread and hence greater circumference, would this make the actual speed higher and distance travelled further than indicated by the instruments, both reducing the calculated mpg?

F
Fifth Gear - new series - Pugugly
I enjoyed it as well, I have to say, I bloomin well hated that M3 car - what's that about ? (Apart from a rip-roaring engine, near perfect chassis dynamics and rear wheel drive).
I bloomin well hated that M3
car - what's that about ? (Apart from a rip-roaring engine near perfect chassis dynamics
and rear wheel drive).

You've got to feel sorry for poor Rocket Ronnie though- having to choose between an M3 and that AMG Merc (63?) :-)
Fifth Gear - new series - ifithelps
>>. I prefer the more straightforward approach compared to Top Gear.>>

Focus,

Agreed,

I avoid Top Gear, but would watch Fifth Gear 'if it was on'.
Repeated Tuesday 8pm on Five Life (Freeview 36).
Fifth Gear - new series - oldgit
Great start to the new series. A vast improvement on that tired old war horse that is Top Gear, which doesn't seem to be going anywhere in its format.
Fifth Gear - new series - Dynamic Dave
Gets my vote. Although at one point I thought I was watching a repeat of last weeks Pulling power with the Evo / Scooby article. Pity there wasn't an external camera to show how close Tiff actually was to hitting the Scooby.
Fifth Gear - new series - ForumNeedsModerating
At least it had 'cars' in. Has VBH gone? I thought new bloke (doing the double-act with the barbado) was a little too studied & posed in his 'bloke-ishness' - all splayed legs & didn't-bother-to-come-my-hair-cool-look. Tiff & Plato remind me more & more of pantomime dames these days - but at least they're not just tearing around in cars spinning the wheels & skidding..er all the time. More genuine testosterone apparent when VBH was still in harness.
Has VBH gone?

Did the feature on Ronnie O'Sullivan and the BMW/Merc, but didn't feature in any group blokey chats, which I thought was a good thing.

She did an item on The One Show a few months ago, but I don't think that's a regular gig.

F
Fifth Gear - new series - movilogo
How can he say Kuga was a good car after doing £7000 worth of damage in a not so off road terrain??

Fuel economy test was hilarious! So, the message is - you can't really do much with that?

The more frequent than usual commercial breaks were irritating.

Monday 18th August show - maz64
Monday 8pm channel 5:

· Vicki meets Lewis Hamilton.

· Jason takes control of Porsche's brand new 911 GT2.

· Tim tackles Renault in one of the most scandalous rip-offs in motoring.

· Tom shows just how dangerous convertibles can be if they roll over.
Monday 18th August show - Big Bad Dave
I really can't believe who they've cast as the new presenter. It's Mr Inappropriate himself, Tim Shaw. Don't they have any idea about the kind of tv this guy does? He's been kicked off more tv and radio shows than Shaun Ryder. The last time I saw him on my screen he was playing a prank on some member of the public which involved answering an ad for a room to let. He marched straight into the bathroom, unzipped his trousers and proceeded to give himself a "gentleman's wash" with the landlord's toothbrush.

What a bizarre bloke to pick.
Monday 18th August show - skorpio
The only down to earth presenter I like watching is er...erm...the one who runs his Merc on veg oil. Name escapes me at the mo. Something Smith?

The rest of the program tries too hard.
Monday 18th August show - daveyjp
Ren-oh-no must love British TV. First its Clio bonnets flying up, then it's their £320 charge to change a headlamp bulb on a Megane!
Monday 18th August show - Pugugly
Enjoyed it - Still prefer it to TG where the presenters try to up-stage the motors. The Hamilton thing was a bit of a coup. Must go to see how easy/difficult it is to change the headlamp bump on a Skoda. Did Mansell have all that security nonsense ?

Edited by Pugugly on 18/08/2008 at 22:16

Monday 18th August show - maz64
I really can't believe who they've cast as the new presenter. It's Mr Inappropriate himself
Tim Shaw.

Hadn't heard of him before. Fairly innocuous so far - perhaps he's seen the error of his ways?
Monday 18th August show - Pugugly
That M5 was something worth waving a few beer vouchers at.

And that Mercedes (don't normally like them) more than a few beer vouchers - the sound on that.

Edited by Pugugly on 18/08/2008 at 22:36

Monday 18th August show - Another John H
- perhaps he's seen the error of his ways?

You'd hope so.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Shaw_(DJ)

is a fairly sanitised version, according to my youngest daughter.

Apparently, He's not nice to know.