1998 1.8 LX Brake Pipe Size - thomp1983
Hi, does anyone know the size of the main brake lines that run from the front of the car to the rear brakes? have to replace a set that have predictably corroded over the fuel tank just need to know which size pipe to get

cheers
chris
1998 1.8 LX Brake Pipe Size - Screwloose
chris

If you need to ask the size; what are you going to use to make the unions? Those flares have to be perfect; there's no "good enough."
ill be using a brake pipe flaring kit, done a few before so should be ok. the mondeo is at my dads so isn't in front of me to check myself and life would be easier if i can turn up with the pipe and tools, his local ford dealer stock the unions so i can get them on the day once ive removed the old pipe

chris
1998 1.8 LX Brake Pipe Size - jc2
Dealer should stock the pipe as well.
1998 1.8 LX Brake Pipe Size - Chris M
Local motor factor made one up for me a few months back. Took the old one along (in two pieces) and they matched the fittings and made one up while I waited. It was about two feet long and only cost a couple of quid.
1998 1.8 LX Brake Pipe Size - piston power
A roll of brake pipe is £7.00 then a few unions & brake fluid & £16.00 might sort it..

i buy the fittings in bags of 30 depends how many your doing of course..
1998 1.8 LX Brake Pipe Size - Collos25
If you are going to keep the car a while then cover the part that goes over the tank in heat shrink they will never rust in that area again.
1998 1.8 LX Brake Pipe Size - pmh
Much better to do it in copper.

no rust and easy to bend!

it will be done in copper, and it won't be getting rerouted back over the tank, stupid bit of design and im not dropping the fuel tank because of it (hence ill need to get a roll of pipe and size it all up not just have a factor make a pattern of the original). ill cut the old pipe and remove it then reroute the new copper pipe securely and it'll be fine for mot.

but the original question remains, what size copper pipe will it need?

chris
1998 1.8 LX Brake Pipe Size - ChicksFan
3/16" O/D, I believe.

A 25ft roll of Kunifer should be about £8 + VAT