1992 1.6 GTi - wont start - timgti38
Hi All,

Anyones help would be a god send. I have a 205 gti 1.6 on a J reg that refuses to start. There is a spark present, and there is fuel going in ok. I have replaced the following to eliminate problems: coil, plugs, leads, distributer and rotor arm, ignition module. Whe I first bought the car it started ok from cold but as soon as it got warm if you turned it off it would not start again. I have had the manifold off to clean it and have put it back and I have fitted a new exhaust system as the manifold was cracked and the down pipe split. All plugs are where they should be and I have checked as many connections as possible and all seem to be clean and ok. The only things I havent changed but not sure if there is any point is the Cold Air Start Device (located under the distributer) and the Air Flow Meter. I understand these can cause problems but surley not failure to start if you have both fuel and spark present? Its driving me mad, please help someone. Thanks, Tim

Edited by Webmaster on 31/01/2008 at 23:00

my 205 gti 1.6 wont start - Screwloose
Tim

You can have too much of a good thing. It could be over-fuelling.

The coolant temp sensor and the Volume air-flow meter are the most important sensors at start-up. Make sure that the flap inside the VAF isn't stuck.
my 205 gti 1.6 wont start - timgti38
Hi, Ok so call me stupid but where do I look for these things to check them out. Thanks loads, Tim
Tim

If your technical resources are at that level, maybe it's best if you took it to an experienced person? Haven't you even got a Haynes manual showing the layout?
:-) Im not that bad, I have done 2 headgaskets on a 106 and a 205 with success. I am good with hands on work but only learn things when I take them to bits and put them back together if you know what i mean. I know where the air flow meter is no problem so i can check that or swap it and that one is straight forward. As for the coolant temp sensor would we be talking about the one by the thermo housing as the one in the rad is just for the fans isnt it? Would you happen to know the pupose of the SAD device (supplementry air device) that sits under the distributer cap? It seems to be a valve seperating a pipe coming from the bottom of the inlet manifold which leads back to the air intake pipe just in front of the throttle body. I must admit I cant see the idea behind this as you have air going in from the intake so what is the advantage of a 6mm pipe leading to the same place? Must buy a haynes manual :-) Thanks for your help

The auxiliary air device is to control the fast idle during warm-up.

You seem to have figured-out where those other components are.
Screwloose youre a LEDGEND. It was the door in the airflow meter that was jammed. I would never have thought that would be the cause of all the problems but thanks alot for suggesting it. Back up and running :-)
Tim

It's called experience; I was hoping to move somewhere nice to try and pass it on to a new generation, but I've recently discovered that it's a worthless, unwanted, commodity.
my 205 gti 1.6 wont start - paparinov
Hi Guys,

It is out of topic...sorry about that...but could you please help me with ..how to locate and change the fuel filter of peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 2003...Thanks
my 205 gti 1.6 wont start - pafosman
Whoa Screwloose! its not the experience thats the unwanted commodity, its the stupid manufacturers that have made it impossible to use? IMHO Isn't the point of this thread that a guy with limited experience and resources (no offence Tim - but thats how it appears) is able to dismantle bits of his engine and with some good info, a toothbrush and a cup of petrol get the thing going again. It makes a refreshing change from all those other posts starting 'I have got an error code 200877$£% which tells me its the MAF or a brake light bulb. Help please'.
As usual, all respect to Screwloose and good luck with the Gti Tim ( you are a cad & a bounder - what a great little car, I was stuck with a diesel 205)
Papho

Edited by pafosman on 02/02/2008 at 07:23

my 205 gti 1.6 wont start - jollycowboy

Hi i am having the same problem with my 205 gti 1.6 . Took out the injectors out with the rail and getting plenty of fuel when turned over and also checked each plug is sparking which they are.

And when i do sometimes get it going it runs well so i know the timing is ok. but do get the occasional pop from the exhaust.

so far change the fuel pump relay and the ecu temp sensor and afm is not stuck .

i know this is an old topic but would appreciate any help

Thanks

my 205 gti 1.6 wont start - TheReaperWaits

Check the dizzy... I had a bad one that would cause misfiring... A new one fixed that.... Also had a problem with the Auxiliary air valve, that made starting (and idling) a pain. Don't worry about bumping an old topics... That's what they are there for, to give people information/help for years to come. :)